    Is there any way I am able to see what else is running please?
    Thanks
    Dave

    Dave Smith, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Dave Smith

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:12:12 +0100, "Dave Smith"
    <> scribbled:

    >I have Win98SE but when I try to run Scandisk it keeps stopping due to other
    >programs running in the background. I have used ALT/CTRL/DEL to close all
    >programs except Systray & Explorer but it still keeps stopping.
    >Is there any way I am able to see what else is running please?

    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information
    -> Software Environment -> Running Tasks. Or just restart in Safe Mode
    and run it from there.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Dave Smith

    Harrison Guest

    Try running it in safe mode.
    You may also want to check for spyware and adware.

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
    dialers.
    The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
    diseases.

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Dave Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Dave Smith said:

    > I have Win98SE but when I try to run Scandisk it keeps stopping due to other
    > programs running in the background. I have used ALT/CTRL/DEL to close all
    > programs except Systray & Explorer but it still keeps stopping.
    > Is there any way I am able to see what else is running please?
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    Have you got a cable modem installed?
    As has been suggested, try again in safe mode.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Dave Smith

    Curlytail Guest

    Yes I do have a cable modem (broadband) -
    I'll try in safemode.
    Thanks for all your advice everyone.
    Dave

    Curlytail, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Dave Smith

    Buffalo Guest

    Besides all the other great advice, you can run scandisk in DOS mode. At the
    C:\ prompt, just type scandisk and press Enter.
    If you want to scandisk other drives, just change to that drive letter and
    then type scandisk and press Enter.
    Spyware and the modem are the more likely suspects interfering with the
    program. (or possibly your screensaver)

    Buffalo, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Dave Smith

    sonsdad Guest

    Hi
    I think you can run Scandisk from the C prompt in DOS. Perhaps someone else
    will confirm this. I remember doing it when I had a problem....

    Cheers

    sonsdad, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Dave Smith

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:12:12 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Dave Smith"
    <> wrote :

    >I have Win98SE but when I try to run Scandisk it keeps stopping due to other
    >programs running in the background. I have used ALT/CTRL/DEL to close all
    >programs except Systray & Explorer but it still keeps stopping.
    >Is there any way I am able to see what else is running please?
    >Thanks
    >Dave

    Ctrl Alt Delete does not show all running programs.Try here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,