WIN 98SE - A Microsoft Security Update Did Me In!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    We run our small company payroll on this computer using a payroll
    program called "PayWindow" which keeps its data in Microsoft Access format.

    We ran a payroll yesterday with no problems.

    I fired up our "payroll computer" today and Microsoft asked me if I'd
    like to scan for and download updates. I agreed and accepted two
    downloads, one of which was called "Security Access for Microsoft Data
    Access Components 2.8 (KB911562)."

    Then I went to start the PayWindow program to run a couple of more
    reports from yeasterday's payroll. The program quit while loading with
    an error message telling me to make sure I had the Microsoft Data
    Access Component installed.

    I fiqured that the Microsoft security update had something to do with
    it, so I downloaded a combined Jet Engine/MDAC installer from ZPay, the
    publisher of the payroll program.

    I deleted the folders "Ado", "Msadc" and "OLE DB" located at C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\System\ and ran the installer.

    It seemed like everything was installing fine, but near the end of the
    process it barfed three times with errors "registering" files named
    msado15.dll, sqtxmlx.dll and sqdelb.dll.

    When it was done (Telling me it had "successfully" installed everything
    - Hah!) I tried to run the PayWindow program, and to no suprise it quit
    while loading with the same error message I'd gotten previously.

    I got things running again by brute force. I downloaded earlier versions
    of Jet Engine (Ver 4.00.8025.00) and MDAC (Ver 2.50.4403.12) from
    Microsoft's web site, deleted those three folders at at C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\System\ again, and installing Jet Engine, followed by
    MDAC.

    Problem corrected, our payroll program loads and runs fine again.

    Can someone point out what might have gone wrong and how I might have
    solved the problem in a more sophisticated fashion while retaining the
    latest version of MDAC?

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff
    --
    Jeffry Wisnia

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    James Guest

    "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    > We run our small company payroll on this computer using a payroll program
    > called "PayWindow" which keeps its data in Microsoft Access format.

    <snip>

    The first problem was that Microsoft no longer update Windows98 .... so ....
    it wasnt from them?
    James, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    James Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    >> We run our small company payroll on this computer using a payroll program
    >> called "PayWindow" which keeps its data in Microsoft Access format.

    > <snip>
    >
    > The first problem was that Microsoft no longer update Windows98 .... so
    > .... it wasnt from them?

    No, ignore me, i forgot they extended it by two years... duh.
    James, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > I deleted the folders "Ado", "Msadc" and "OLE DB" located at
    > C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ and ran the installer.
    > Can someone point out what might have gone wrong

    You answered your own question.

    Never just delete folders for Windows stuff. Always "uninstall" from the
    Add/Remove Programs, or the app's own Uninstall menu choice.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 14, 2006
  5. Jeff Wisnia

    Peaches Guest

    > We run our small company payroll on this computer using a payroll program
    > called "PayWindow" which keeps its data in Microsoft Access format.
    >
    > We ran a payroll yesterday with no problems.
    >
    > I fired up our "payroll computer" today and Microsoft asked me if I'd like
    > to scan for and download updates. I agreed and accepted two downloads, one
    > of which was called "Security Access for Microsoft Data Access Components
    > 2.8 (KB911562)."

    This link is to the MS knowledgebase article - KB911562
    http://tinyurl.com/mgop5

    Also listed are other issues concerning this specific security patch,
    notable, as with all 89 updates, is to reboot to complete update.

    Peaches, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Jeff Wisnia

    Peaches Guest

    Peaches, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Jeff Wisnia

    ellis_jay Guest

    James wrote:
    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    >>> We run our small company payroll on this computer using a payroll
    >>> program called "PayWindow" which keeps its data in Microsoft Access
    >>> format.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> The first problem was that Microsoft no longer update Windows98 ....
    >> so .... it wasnt from them?

    > No, ignore me, i forgot they extended it by two years... duh.

    I read on some tech site Win98 will no longer be supported starting this
    coming July.

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 16, 2006
  8. Jeff Wisnia

    ellis_jay Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    > We run our small company payroll on this computer using a payroll
    > program called "PayWindow" which keeps its data in Microsoft Access
    > format.
    >
    > We ran a payroll yesterday with no problems.
    >
    > I fired up our "payroll computer" today and Microsoft asked me if I'd
    > like to scan for and download updates. I agreed and accepted two
    > downloads, one of which was called "Security Access for Microsoft Data
    > Access Components 2.8 (KB911562)."
    >
    > Then I went to start the PayWindow program to run a couple of more
    > reports from yeasterday's payroll. The program quit while loading with
    > an error message telling me to make sure I had the Microsoft Data
    > Access Component installed.
    >
    > I fiqured that the Microsoft security update had something to do with
    > it, so I downloaded a combined Jet Engine/MDAC installer from ZPay,
    > the publisher of the payroll program.
    >
    > I deleted the folders "Ado", "Msadc" and "OLE DB" located at
    > C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ and ran the installer.
    >
    > It seemed like everything was installing fine, but near the end of the
    > process it barfed three times with errors "registering" files named
    > msado15.dll, sqtxmlx.dll and sqdelb.dll.
    >
    > When it was done (Telling me it had "successfully" installed
    > everything - Hah!) I tried to run the PayWindow program, and to no
    > suprise it quit while loading with the same error message I'd gotten
    > previously.
    >
    > I got things running again by brute force. I downloaded earlier
    > versions of Jet Engine (Ver 4.00.8025.00) and MDAC (Ver 2.50.4403.12)
    > from Microsoft's web site, deleted those three folders at at
    > C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ again, and installing Jet
    > Engine, followed by MDAC.
    >
    > Problem corrected, our payroll program loads and runs fine again.
    >
    > Can someone point out what might have gone wrong and how I might have
    > solved the problem in a more sophisticated fashion while retaining the
    > latest version of MDAC?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff

    I have Winxp Home. All my updates are listed in Control Panel_Add /Remove
    Programs,. This is where I can remove or uninstall updates.

    ellis_jay, Apr 16, 2006
  9. Jeff Wisnia

    Whiskers Guest

    snip

    ..-----<http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/default.asp>
    | End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me
    | Effective July 11, 2006, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
    | Windows Me (and their related components) will transition to a
    | non-supported status. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide
    | any incident support options or security updates. Microsoft is not
    | offering a custom support agreement for these products.
    '-----

    See also <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx>.

    Non-supported systems will still /run/, of course, but they shouldn't be
    allowed anywhere near the internet without some sort of intervening
    isolation system such as a router/firewall gadget, and mail and web
    filters on a different computer to stop the malware getting through to the
    ancient relic, if it has to have email and web-browsers installed.

    Perhaps some firms are going to have to think about getting Unix or Linux
    running on their hardware so that they can then run a 'virtual machine' on
    which their legacy OSs can exist in a reasonably safe environment. Buying
    all-new computers and 'Vista' (if it ever actually gets released) isn't
    going to be a viable option for all sorts of firms, even if their
    essential applications will run in 'Vista'.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 16, 2006