    In WIN 98 is it ok to turn off TaskMonitor. I know there may be some
    issue with defrag but otherwise is it ok to run without TaskMonitor
    saving all the stuff in APPLOG.

    Ben, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Ben

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, turn it off if you wish.

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:15:36 GMT, in
    <Y75Cb.118$>
    Ben scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Ben

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ben said:

    > In WIN 98 is it ok to turn off TaskMonitor. I know there may be some
    > issue with defrag but otherwise is it ok to run without TaskMonitor
    > saving all the stuff in APPLOG.

    You are talking about 98se not 98.
    The items in the Applog folder are all created by defrag.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Ben

    Ben Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > Yes, turn it off if you wish.
    >

    > On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:15:36 GMT, in
    > <Y75Cb.118$>
    > Ben scrawled:
    >

    >>In WIN 98 is it ok to turn off TaskMonitor. I know there may be some
    >>issue with defrag but otherwise is it ok to run without TaskMonitor
    >>saving all the stuff in APPLOG.

    Thanks Mike. Do you see any performance boost?

    Ben, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Ben

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Ben said:
    >
    >> In WIN 98 is it ok to turn off TaskMonitor. I know there may be some
    >> issue with defrag but otherwise is it ok to run without TaskMonitor
    >> saving all the stuff in APPLOG.

    > You are talking about 98se not 98.
    > The items in the Applog folder are all created by defrag.

    ....are all handled by defrag.

    If you want to fine tune your defrag, you can edit the applog.txt file and make
    amendments to the entries to force what you want to more or less an order of
    your choosing, and you would achive this by deleting the related files that are
    in the applog folder.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Ben

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ben said:

    > °Mike° wrote:
    >> Yes, turn it off if you wish.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:15:36 GMT, in
    >> <Y75Cb.118$>
    >> Ben scrawled:
    >>

    >>> In WIN 98 is it ok to turn off TaskMonitor. I know there may be some
    >>> issue with defrag but otherwise is it ok to run without TaskMonitor
    >>> saving all the stuff in APPLOG.

    > Thanks Mike. Do you see any performance boost?

    For a fine tune of your defrag, see my second post.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Ben

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:29:48 GMT, in
    <gl5Cb.120$>
    Ben scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> Yes, turn it off if you wish.

    <snip>

    >Thanks Mike. Do you see any performance boost?

    If you mean a performance boost for defragmenting, then
    no, quite the opposite. TaskMon collects information about
    programs that are used frequently, and what files are used
    by them when launched, and stores it in the Applog folder.
    The disk defragmenter uses this information to place the
    frequently used programs, and their associated files, towards
    the beginning of the disk. This can *drastically* slow down
    defragmentation.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 11, 2003