Win 98 start up misery, unusual symptoms.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PH, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. PH

    PH Guest

    Hello All,
    I am at my wits end and am in need of some advice (please, please!)

    After a nasty un-install of some software I needed to restore my hard
    drive from a Norton Ghost back up (With a copy I had used before - no
    problems then).
    Now when the system boots I get the usual single beep, the Windows 98
    splash screen appears a couple of times, a white band flashes once at
    the top of the screen (screen stays black) then the Mode prepare
    messages as normal , then it simply
    hangs and the hard drive just thrashes, as if it's searching for
    something that isn't there. There is also a cursor flashing at the top
    left of the screen.

    If when I boot up I hold F2 to access the BIOS set up program, let the
    BIOS setup screen appear, do nothing to the settings and just go
    straight to the exit menu and exit selecting "saving changes" It then
    boots up and works fine. The BIOS settings have not been changed, nor
    are they being lost (the clock and all other settings are retained)
    merely saved "as is".
    Just as a precaution I replaced the CMOS battery and re-entered the
    settings.

    If I do a restart it will shut down and restart on its own. All other
    times I have to enter and exit the BIOS to get it to start.

    Is it anything to do with the start sequence? Or is my BIOS chip
    damaged in some way?

    By the way after some late night fiddling I have noticed when using
    msconfig that in the Win.ini tab in the windows folder it lists load=
    and run= with nothing after the "=" sign in both cases. Should there
    be anything there?

    Once it has booted it works perfectly.

    I would be eternaly grateful for any help on this one as I have had a
    few late nights on it already.

    Thanks in advance to any who can help me get some sleep!

    Paul
    PH, Sep 26, 2003

  2. PH

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove ALL (and I do mean all) of your internal components,
    cards, RAM etc. Clean out the inside of your box with a
    can of compressed air, paying particular attention around the
    fans. Make sure that all fans are operating correctly. Replace
    all components, ensuring that connections are nice and snug.

    When everything is back in place, boot with your emergency
    boot floppy disk, and run scandisk with a full surface scan.
    Do make sure that you allow the surface scan to complete.

    Normally, the "load=" and "run=" should be blank, so don't
    worry about that.

    On 26 Sep 2003 15:04:05 -0700, in
    <>
    PH scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003

  3. PH

    Buffalo Guest

    What about his MBR?

    Buffalo, Sep 27, 2003
  4. PH

    °Mike° Guest

    What about his MBR?

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:54:10 GMT, in
    <mZ6db.438467$cF.140202@rwcrnsc53>
    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  5. PH

    Buffalo Guest

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada> wrote in message
    > What about his MBR?

    I was curious if Ghost could have messed with his MBR.
    Buffalo, Sep 27, 2003
  6. PH

    Buffalo Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message news:...
    > What about his MBR?

    Or if maybe his 'software' removal previously had messed with his MBR.
    Buffalo, Sep 27, 2003
  7. PH

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:28:48 GMT, in
    <4Vidb.443770$Oz4.249017@rwcrnsc54>
    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada> scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> What about his MBR?
    >>

    >Or if maybe his 'software' removal previously had messed with his MBR.

    He is already past the boot stage when problems arise.
    See quote:

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  8. PH

    PH Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Remove ALL (and I do mean all) of your internal components,
    > cards, RAM etc. Clean out the inside of your box with a
    > can of compressed air, paying particular attention around the
    > fans. Make sure that all fans are operating correctly. Replace
    > all components, ensuring that connections are nice and snug.
    >
    > When everything is back in place, boot with your emergency
    > boot floppy disk, and run scandisk with a full surface scan.
    > Do make sure that you allow the surface scan to complete.
    >
    > Normally, the "load=" and "run=" should be blank, so don't
    > worry about that.

    Bingo! Right first time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Am up and running. A thousand thanks for that.
    (You should let the PC World premium rate helpline know about this,
    they said they'd never heard of this problem!)

    Best Regards,

    Paul
    PH, Sep 27, 2003
  9. PH

    °Mike° Guest

    On 27 Sep 2003 11:06:06 -0700, in
    <>
    PH scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Remove ALL (and I do mean all) of your internal components,
    >> cards, RAM etc. Clean out the inside of your box with a
    >> can of compressed air, paying particular attention around the
    >> fans. Make sure that all fans are operating correctly. Replace
    >> all components, ensuring that connections are nice and snug.
    >>
    >> When everything is back in place, boot with your emergency
    >> boot floppy disk, and run scandisk with a full surface scan.
    >> Do make sure that you allow the surface scan to complete.
    >>
    >> Normally, the "load=" and "run=" should be blank, so don't
    >> worry about that.

    >Bingo! Right first time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    >Am up and running. A thousand thanks for that.
    >(You should let the PC World premium rate helpline know about this,
    >they said they'd never heard of this problem!)
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >
    >Paul

    You're welcome. PC World? No comment...

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  10. PH

    Meat-Plow Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:13:37 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Win 98 start up misery, unusual symptoms.
    > From: °Mike° <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:13:37 +0100
    >
    > On 27 Sep 2003 11:06:06 -0700, in
    > <>
    > PH scrawled:
    >
    >>°Mike° <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>> Remove ALL (and I do mean all) of your internal components,
    >>> cards, RAM etc. Clean out the inside of your box with a
    >>> can of compressed air, paying particular attention around the
    >>> fans. Make sure that all fans are operating correctly. Replace
    >>> all components, ensuring that connections are nice and snug.
    >>>
    >>> When everything is back in place, boot with your emergency
    >>> boot floppy disk, and run scandisk with a full surface scan.
    >>> Do make sure that you allow the surface scan to complete.
    >>>
    >>> Normally, the "load=" and "run=" should be blank, so don't
    >>> worry about that.

    >>Bingo! Right first time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    >>Am up and running. A thousand thanks for that.
    >>(You should let the PC World premium rate helpline know about this,
    >>they said they'd never heard of this problem!)
    >>
    >>Best Regards,
    >>
    >>Paul

    > You're welcome. PC World? No comment...

    Alot of PC problems stem from having a weak CMOS battery :)
    Meat-Plow, Sep 27, 2003
  11. PH

    Patrick Guest

    Meat-Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:13:37 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Subject: Re: Win 98 start up misery, unusual symptoms.
    >> From: °Mike° <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:13:37 +0100
    >>
    >> On 27 Sep 2003 11:06:06 -0700, in
    >> <>
    >> PH scrawled:
    >>
    >>> °Mike° <> wrote in message

    >>> Bingo! Right first time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    >>> Am up and running. A thousand thanks for that.
    >>> (You should let the PC World premium rate helpline know about this,
    >>> they said they'd never heard of this problem!)
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> You're welcome. PC World? No comment...

    > Alot of PC problems stem from having a weak CMOS battery :)

    Your words 'ole-bean' ! :( :)
    Patrick, Sep 27, 2003