    be happy to remove OS from the original computer before taking it to the
    tip.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jan 21, 2006

  2. r_mervart

    philo Guest

    r_mervart wrote:
    > If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using legal
    > upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I would want to get a
    > new PC, install that same Win98SE and then again upgrade to XP ? Or once
    > I upgrade to XP this upgraded OS will be tied to that PC and I could not use
    > the XP upgrade software on another? If it was required to stay legal I would
    > be happy to remove OS from the original computer before taking it to the
    > tip.
    > Roman

    when you get the new PC...
    legally you would have to remove XP from the old one...
    however you will NOT have to install win98 first...
    just directly install XP...
    during the installation you will be asked to insert your
    previous version of windows (win98) CD.

    BTW: If your machine is old enough to have come with win98 on it...
    it may not run XP very well...so you should prob stick with it

    philo, Jan 21, 2006

  3. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:3HtAf.106228$,
    r_mervart spewed forth:
    > If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using legal
    > upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I would want
    > to get a new PC, install that same Win98SE and then again upgrade to
    > XP ? Or once I upgrade to XP this upgraded OS will be tied to that
    > PC and I could not use the XP upgrade software on another? If it was
    > required to stay legal I would be happy to remove OS from the
    > original computer before taking it to the tip.
    > Roman

    If your Win98SE copy is OEM, then no, you cannot use that XP upgrade on a
    different computer. The XP upgrade you bought 'inherits' the terms of the
    license you are upgrading FROM. So if you have OEM 98, you have OEM XP. If
    you have retail 98, then you have retail XP.

    But what new PC are you thinking about buying? Almost all of them come with
    XP already on them, for nearly no cost, and no setup time for you.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006
  4. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > r_mervart wrote:
    > > If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using legal
    > > upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I would want to

    get a
    > > new PC, install that same Win98SE and then again upgrade to XP ?

    > when you get the new PC...
    > legally you would have to remove XP from the old one...
    > however you will NOT have to install win98 first...
    > just directly install XP...
    > during the installation you will be asked to insert your
    > previous version of windows (win98) CD.
    >
    > BTW: If your machine is old enough to have come with win98 on it...
    > it may not run XP very well...so you should prob stick with it

    The PC is not that old, it was built by a local computer firm. At
    that time XP was already out but there were problems with it and
    so I asked them to put on Win 98SE.
    I am planning to buy only XP upgrade software not a full XP so
    is what you said still true? Or, is there no separate and
    cheaper software upgrade as opposed to a full XP version?
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jan 21, 2006
  5. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:3HtAf.106228$,
    > r_mervart spewed forth:
    > > If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using legal
    > > upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I would want
    > > to get a new PC, install that same Win98SE and then again upgrade to
    > > XP ? Or once I upgrade to XP this upgraded OS will be tied to that
    > > PC and I could not use the XP upgrade software on another? If it was
    > > required to stay legal I would be happy to remove OS from the
    > > original computer before taking it to the tip.
    > > Roman

    > If your Win98SE copy is OEM, then no, you cannot use that XP upgrade on a
    > different computer. The XP upgrade you bought 'inherits' the terms of the
    > license you are upgrading FROM. So if you have OEM 98, you have OEM XP. If
    > you have retail 98, then you have retail XP.
    >
    > But what new PC are you thinking about buying? Almost all of them come

    with
    > XP already on them, for nearly no cost, and no setup time for you.

    You are right, that would be only a small saving and only if I had a PC
    built
    by a local firm again as was my current PC. This may not be the most cost
    effective
    thing to do these days as the market seems quite competitive.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jan 21, 2006
  6. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:hZtAf.4832$,
    r_mervart spewed forth:
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> r_mervart wrote:
    >>> If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using
    >>> legal upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I
    >>> would want to get a new PC, install that same Win98SE and then
    >>> again upgrade to XP ?

    >> when you get the new PC...
    >> legally you would have to remove XP from the old one...
    >> however you will NOT have to install win98 first...
    >> just directly install XP...
    >> during the installation you will be asked to insert your
    >> previous version of windows (win98) CD.
    >>
    >> BTW: If your machine is old enough to have come with win98 on it...
    >> it may not run XP very well...so you should prob stick with it

    > The PC is not that old, it was built by a local computer firm. At
    > that time XP was already out but there were problems with it and
    > so I asked them to put on Win 98SE.
    > I am planning to buy only XP upgrade software not a full XP so
    > is what you said still true? Or, is there no separate and
    > cheaper software upgrade as opposed to a full XP version?
    > Roman

    OEM XP Home is half the price of the UPGRADE. Email me for a link for a
    license (tim_n_puppies at yahoo dot com) - you have to supply your own CD,
    but any standard OEM XP Home Setup CD will work. Borrow one from a friend or
    co-worker.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006
  7. r_mervart

    elaich Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in

    > If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using legal
    > upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I would want to
    > get a new PC, install that same Win98SE and then again upgrade to XP
    > ? Or once I upgrade to XP this upgraded OS will be tied to that PC
    > and I could not use the XP upgrade software on another? If it was
    > required to stay legal I would be happy to remove OS from the original
    > computer before taking it to the tip.
    > Roman

    XP is not an upgrade to 98SE. Stick with what you've got that already works
    well.

    elaich, Jan 22, 2006
  8. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "r_mervart" <> wrote in
    >
    > > If on my ageing PC I upgrade Win98SE (legal copy) to WinXP using legal
    > > upgrade, would I be able to, at some future date when I would want to
    > > get a new PC, install that same Win98SE and then again upgrade to XP
    > > ? Or once I upgrade to XP this upgraded OS will be tied to that PC
    > > and I could not use the XP upgrade software on another? If it was
    > > required to stay legal I would be happy to remove OS from the original
    > > computer before taking it to the tip.
    > > Roman
    > >

    > XP is not an upgrade to 98SE. Stick with what you've got that already

    works
    > well.

    I would but there are certain things that do not work with Win98 SE like
    Skype
    or Google Earth in particular which I miss.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jan 22, 2006