    Doing an install it won't accept this code.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Johnny, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Johnny wrote:
    > My dad's PC WIn 98 came with the product key of:-
    >
    > ***** OEM 00***** *****
    >
    > i.e. a batch of 5 numbers, OEM, two zeros and 5 more numbers then another
    > batch of 5 numbers.
    >
    > Doing an install it won't accept this code.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Are you using the exact same disk, or at least version? Close don't count.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Johnny

    aleX Guest

    Johnny wrote:
    > My dad's PC WIn 98 came with the product key of:-
    >
    > ***** OEM 00***** *****
    >
    > i.e. a batch of 5 numbers, OEM, two zeros and 5 more numbers then another
    > batch of 5 numbers.
    >
    > Doing an install it won't accept this code.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA

    Sounds like the product ID rather than the product key you're trying to
    use. See this page:
    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v15/vic15.htm

    Have you got the booklet with the key printed on the cover?

    aleX, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Johnny

    Ben Myers Guest

    You may be looking at the ProductId. If the registry of the
    problem computer is intact, download
    http://www.62nds.com/62nds/diag.exe and run it in DOS
    on the computer. It should tell you the Product Key.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 18, 2005
  5. Johnny

    Johnny Guest

    Yes that is the product key, well done to you all.

    Thanks

    Johnny, Jun 18, 2005
  6. Howdy!

    "Johnny" <> wrote in message
    > My dad's PC WIn 98 came with the product key of:-
    >
    > ***** OEM 00***** *****
    >
    > i.e. a batch of 5 numbers, OEM, two zeros and 5 more numbers then another
    > batch of 5 numbers.
    >
    > Doing an install it won't accept this code.

    That's a generated code from the 25 characters in the product KEY.
    And you need to type the KEY in to install.

    Unless it's a very old Win98 CD - in which case, it should take it.
    BTW - that's 5 / OEM / 7 / 5 - it just happens that the first two of the 7
    are 0's B)

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Johnny

    ALIEN Guest

    I found that old Microsoft software like gold and windows 95 use the same
    key'. When we lost the windows 95 key we used the golf key and it worked.
    Hope that might help.

    ALIEN, Jun 20, 2005