    hj

    --
    ______________________
    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004

  2. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Just went through the motions and restarted the machine despite many files
    not being located...
    Now I get the following message:
    "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    application.
    The windows registry or System.INI file refers to this file, but hte device
    file no longer exists.
    If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
    application using its uninstall or setup program.
    If you still want to use the application associated with the device file,
    try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
    vnetsetup.vxd
    Press a key to continue_"

    I get the same for several files (vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd, vnetbios.vxd)
    and then a windows dialogue opens with the following:

    "Unable to load the dynamic link library:
    msnp.dll
    Some or all of the following feature is not available:
    Microsoft Network"

    Now it asks me to insert the win98 CD again and starts searching for many
    many files...
    What the *((^($#%%??!

    --
    ______________________
    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    : I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
    : When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings
    setup
    : / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
    : sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
    : I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
    : both of them before.
    :
    : To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
    : attempting a win98 install now.
    : Any idea what is wrong?
    : Thanks in advance,
    : hj
    :
    : --
    : ______________________
    : please remove the obvious from my email...
    :
    :
    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004

  3. hugh jass

    Root Hung Guest

    hugh jass wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
    > When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings setup
    > / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
    > sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
    > I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
    > both of them before.
    >
    > To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
    > attempting a win98 install now.
    > Any idea what is wrong?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > hj

    Open the computer and take note of what is the motherboard brand/model
    no, vga card mode, internal modem model, network card model, etc.

    On your other win98se, make a boot disk (start up diskette).

    Boot from the boot disk, format the harddisk, make a win98 subdirectory
    and copy all the files from d:\win98 to c:\win98 (where d is the cdrom
    drive). CD to c:\win98 and run setup.exe

    The win98 will start to setup...

    Windows will be set up with basic vga driver on 640x480 screen, etc.
    (Those hardware with no drivers will all be displayed with ! marks.
    Never mind them.)

    Meanwhile on your other win98 computer, go to internet and search the
    drivers for all those adapter cards you took note of earlier. Burn them
    to cdr disk to use.

    That is how I do my installations.

    HTH
    Root Hung, Mar 3, 2004
  4. hugh jass

    Root Hung Guest

    Reformat the harddisk and do a clean install.

    Root Hung, Mar 3, 2004
  5. hugh jass

    Asterix63 Guest

    Run a trouble shooter software on the PC. Special the HDD, It sounds like
    something is not working to swell. Also try to install with another CD-ROM,
    it might not read correct.
    And most of all do a FDISK first, delete all partitions and create new ones.

    Hope this helps you with your problem.

    Anton

    Asterix63, Mar 3, 2004
  6. hugh jass

    Trent C Guest

    > I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
    > When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings

    setup
    > / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
    > sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
    > I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
    > both of them before.
    >
    > To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
    > attempting a win98 install now.
    > Any idea what is wrong?
    > Thanks in advance,

    It sounds as though you're reinstalling Windows 98 over an existing
    installation, which can often be problematic. If you have a Windows 98 boot
    floppy, start from that and reformat the hard drive, then copy the Win98
    folder from the Windows CD to the hard drive, and run setup from there.

    This has the advantage of being much faster to install and you're not
    reliant on having the CD to hand all the time.
    Trent C, Mar 3, 2004
  7. hugh jass

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:55:09 -0500, "hugh jass" <> wrote
    in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >Just went through the motions and restarted the machine despite many files
    >not being located...
    >Now I get the following message:
    >"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    >application.
    >The windows registry or System.INI file refers to this file, but hte device
    >file no longer exists.
    >If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
    >application using its uninstall or setup program.
    >If you still want to use the application associated with the device file,
    >try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
    >vnetsetup.vxd
    >Press a key to continue_"
    >
    >I get the same for several files (vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd, vnetbios.vxd)
    >and then a windows dialogue opens with the following:
    >
    >"Unable to load the dynamic link library:
    >msnp.dll
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >Some or all of the following feature is not available:
    >Microsoft Network"
    >
    >Now it asks me to insert the win98 CD again and starts searching for many
    >many files...
    >What the *((^($#%%??!

    Install Client for Microsoft Networking, or keep beating it until it finds the files.
    Has the nic card card's drivers been properly installed?
    Shel-hed, Mar 3, 2004
  8. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks all...
    I am going to try the boot floppy and C: drive install method.
    Just a note - I did reformat C: before doing this win98 install. Do I need
    to do more than that to completely remove the previous win98 install?
    Right now, I will do an FDISK to remove partitions and then do another
    reformat. Is there any more that I should do before retrying the install?
    Thanks,
    hj
    --
    ______________________
    "Trent C" <> wrote in message
    : > I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
    : > When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings
    : setup
    : > / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd
    and
    : > sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
    : > I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
    : > both of them before.
    : >
    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004
  9. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    No network card on this machine...
    They are using a USB modem to connect to highspeed DSL.
    I forget if I installed MS networking when doing the OS install - maybe I
    should leave this out on the next install?
    thanks,
    hj

    --
    ______________________
    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004
  10. hugh jass

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:53:01 -0500, "hugh jass"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks all...
    >I am going to try the boot floppy and C: drive install method.
    >Just a note - I did reformat C: before doing this win98 install. Do I need
    >to do more than that to completely remove the previous win98 install?
    >Right now, I will do an FDISK to remove partitions and then do another
    >reformat. Is there any more that I should do before retrying the install?

    I would suggest you unplug the DSL modem before doing the install.
    When completely finished and Windows is back up and running well,
    re-install the USB modem per the manufacturer's instructions.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Mar 3, 2004
  11. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    The modem is not even connected right now.
    Just a monitor, keyboard, mouse and power cable.
    thnx, hj

    --
    ______________________
    :
    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004
  12. hugh jass

    Hung Guest

    hugh jass wrote:
    > The modem is not even connected right now.
    > Just a monitor, keyboard, mouse and power cable.
    > thnx, hj

    Fdisk and format should clear all previous installations. Wish you success.

    You mentioned usb adsl modem. Why not get ethernet adsl modem? Here in
    Singapore, everyone going wireless and dumping their ethernet adsl modem
    for about US$25-30. Broadband router also about that price.

    Hung
    Hung, Mar 4, 2004
  13. hugh jass

    br1ght Guest

    Is it possible that there is a ghost of 98 on the drive? I'd
    fdisk /mbr > reboot using a:\ > fdisk (large,make primary
    etc...) > reboot using a:\. Then go to c: (you should get an
    error saying drive not available). If you don't skip get
    error skip to the fix below. Get rid of the error and back
    to a:\ (the easiest way for this to happen is to hit the
    reset button for a few seconds).

    Once back to a:\ format c: > reboot using a:\ (yup, lots of
    waiting for boots). Once rebooted using a:\ check c: again
    for files and folders by c:\ > then dir and make sure only a
    dot and two dots are there (there should be not files
    /directories/.bat/.com/.ini or anything else except the .
    and .. If there are skip to the fix below. If no rogue
    files / directories, then throw your 98 cd in and do your
    install.

    *The fix for ghosts/factory burns etc:

    Method 1--(my preferred method) is get a zero fill program.
    Gateway's program is one I use because a) the price is
    right*free* b) even with all the warnings saying only use on
    GW's equipment since they use all sorts of components, their
    utility is universal. It can be found
    ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win3.x_an
    d_dos/mass_storage/hard_drives/ It is 7510801.exe. Download
    it onto your desktop then extract onto a floppy. You'll use
    it as a boot disk then type " gwscan " to use... It's
    really a piece of cake but allow lots of time for zeroing
    and then testing. Once zeroed, I like to do a format, but
    this is an optional step...

    Method 2--get to c:\ and then delete the win.com and the
    win.ini files " c:\del win.* ", then repeat the instructions
    at top to be sure that your phantom has been taken care of.
    If not, then go do method 1

    Method 3--use a bootable Linux disk and format into anything
    then start at top instructions --I'm not going to go into
    this method as I don't feel comfortable trying to walk some
    else thru it as it is a bit of a maze

    Method 4--Use the bootable disks that can be made for
    Partition Magic (follow their instructions), format the HD
    into NTFS then start at top instructions.

    This should cleans out your cobwebs.

    br1ght

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++..

    br1ght, Mar 4, 2004
  14. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Yes, I have a ethernet adsl modem and am going to be shortly moving to
    wireless.
    This computer belongs to my sister-in-law and she has a USB modem from over
    a year ago, when it was cheaper to do that (she didn't have to buy a network
    card).
    I think she should just buy a new system.
    hj

    --
    ______________________
    hugh jass, Mar 4, 2004
  15. hugh jass

    br1ght Guest

    "Hung" wrote,

    | I think she should just buy a new system.
    | hj

    Why? Unless the machine is a pre P2 (i.e. slowwwwww),
    doesn't meet her software's requirements, smells crispy, has
    general problems related to hardware (or software not liking
    the hardware), or you just need satisfy emptying your
    bloated wallet, there isn't a need to upgrade.

    If you just don't have the time or patience to pursue your
    HD cleaning and reinstall, maybe you can find a teenage geek
    who will do it for the shear joy of 'beating' a windoz bug
    or for a batch of homemade cookies/$20/ blah/blah... That
    was how I learned 3.1 and by the time 95b was out I owned my
    own business...

    br1ght
    br1ght, Mar 5, 2004
  16. hugh jass

    Root Guest

    br1ght wrote:

    > "Hung" wrote,
    >
    > | I think she should just buy a new system.
    > | hj

    Hi I am Hung and i didn't write that. HJ wrote that.
    Root, Mar 5, 2004
  17. hugh jass

    br1ght Guest

    Sorry Hung