    Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
    Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
    way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.
    mcp6453, Jul 31, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
    > Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
    > way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

    It only works for dialup in Win9x. There is undoubtedly a 3rd party utility
    out there that can give a tray indicator for LAN activity though. I've seen
    several here and there over the years. Try www.utilitygeek.com . They might
    have something that will do the job.
    Thor, Jul 31, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    Just a thought, ZoneAlarm shows network activity but it is indisguishable
    from net activity.

    Michael-NC, Jul 31, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
    > > Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
    > > way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

    > It only works for dialup in Win9x. There is undoubtedly a 3rd party utility
    > out there that can give a tray indicator for LAN activity though. I've seen
    > several here and there over the years. Try www.utilitygeek.com . They might
    > have something that will do the job.

    Can't find one there. A search for "icon" only reveals three hits. If
    anyone knows of such a utility, I would appreciate hearing about it.
    Thanks!
    mcp6453, Aug 1, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Michael Guest

    I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
    to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
    Michael

    Michael, Aug 12, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
    > to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
    > Michael
    >
    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:18:01 GMT, mcp6453 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
    > >Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
    > >way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

    I did a search for this utility at download.com, but I could not locate
    it. Do you think you could retrace your steps and provide a link? I even
    did a Google search of the site (site:download.com "lan light") but that
    did not provide any results, either.
    mcp6453, Aug 13, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    J KScot Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Michael wrote:
    >>
    >> I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
    >> to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
    >> Michael
    >>
    >> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:18:01 GMT, mcp6453 <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
    >> >Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
    >> >way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

    > I did a search for this utility at download.com, but I could not locate
    > it. Do you think you could retrace your steps and provide a link? I even
    > did a Google search of the site (site:download.com "lan light") but that
    > did not provide any results, either.

    Try "lanlight" (one word).

    jim
    J KScot, Aug 13, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    J KScot wrote:

    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > Michael wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
    > >> to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
    > >> Michael

    > > I did a search for this utility at download.com, but I could not locate
    > > it. Do you think you could retrace your steps and provide a link? I even
    > > did a Google search of the site (site:download.com "lan light") but that
    > > did not provide any results, either.

    > Try "lanlight" (one word).
    >
    > jim

    Bingo. Thanks. Duh.