    what to do next.
    TIA. Fred
    , Apr 16, 2004

  2. Kenny Guest

    Try holding down F8 at bootup to see if it starts in Safe Mode. If it does
    in the Run box type "sfc", no quotes then OK. You will need the Win98 CD in
    the drive. This will check and replace corrupted Windows files.
    If that doesn't work boot from a Win98 startup floppy, (best to get one from
    a working Win98 PC), browse to the CD drive and run Setup.exe from there.
    That will re-install Windows "over the top" of existing install and save
    files. Third and probably the best option is to format C: drive after
    booting from the floppy then re-install from CD.

    --

    Kenny

    "" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to help some friends with an old 100 MhZ box running Win 98.

    System
    > will not boot and when trying to use their floppy I get a whole series of
    > error messages about missing and corrupted files. In the posting at boot

    up
    > the harddrive, CD-ROM and floppy are all recognized but the system hangs
    > after the Windows image opens. I booted using their recovery floppy but
    > when I try to access the d:drive to reinstall Windows I cannot get to it.
    >
    > I have downloaded a bootdisk for Win 98 but would appreciate suggestions

    for

    Kenny, Apr 16, 2004

  3. GTS Guest

    In addition to those good suggestions from Kenny, I'd recommend running
    scandisk either from the Safe Mode boot if that works, or from a floppy boot
    if not. With a computer this old, the missing and corrupt files raise some
    concern re. a possibly failing hard disk.

    GTS, Apr 16, 2004
  4. Kenny Guest

    One thing I forgot is that in Win98 the CDROM won't work in Safe Mode since
    no drivers will be loaded for it. There is a way round it by loading DOS
    drivers but I've never done it and not completely sure how to.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Apr 18, 2004