Win 98 and XP dual boot problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daz, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Daz

    Daz Guest

    Hi,

    I have a problem which requires someone's expert advice.
    I have a system which has Win 98 and XP OS on it.
    On boot up it asks me which system to run.
    Unfortunately I ran the PC's original restore disk(re-formatting the hard
    drive) back to it's original state, ie prior to XP being loaded.
    PROBLEM!
    It seemed to load the original software back on, but after finishing I get
    an explorer.exe and something about 'brows.eui'
    I have a couple of questions please:

    1. When you load XP onto a Win 98 machine, does this create a partition and
    is this why I am getting error.
    2. Once you have XP alongside Win 98, is there a way of removing XP to go
    back to original settings.

    Hope I have explained this clearly enough.

    All I would like to do is reformat the hard drive as one drive...C:\
    Perhaps someone could let me know how this is done.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Daz.

    --
    This email has been scanned by Norton Internet Security software and is
    virus free!
    Daz, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Daz

    philo Guest

    "Daz" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem which requires someone's expert advice.
    > I have a system which has Win 98 and XP OS on it.
    > On boot up it asks me which system to run.
    > Unfortunately I ran the PC's original restore disk(re-formatting the hard
    > drive) back to it's original state, ie prior to XP being loaded.
    > PROBLEM!
    > It seemed to load the original software back on, but after finishing I get
    > an explorer.exe and something about 'brows.eui'
    > I have a couple of questions please:
    >
    > 1. When you load XP onto a Win 98 machine, does this create a partition

    and
    > is this why I am getting error.
    > 2. Once you have XP alongside Win 98, is there a way of removing XP to go
    > back to original settings.
    >
    > Hope I have explained this clearly enough.
    >
    > All I would like to do is reformat the hard drive as one drive...C:\
    > Perhaps someone could let me know how this is done.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Daz.

    although XP can be installed on the same partition as win98
    you will definately end up with problems...

    the best thing to do is create at least a primary and a logical partition

    tinstall win98 first

    then install XP on your second partition
    philo, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Daz

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:19:26 -0000, "Daz" <> wrote:

    |>Hi,
    |>
    |>I have a problem which requires someone's expert advice.
    |>I have a system which has Win 98 and XP OS on it.
    |>On boot up it asks me which system to run.
    |>Unfortunately I ran the PC's original restore disk(re-formatting the hard
    |>drive) back to it's original state, ie prior to XP being loaded.
    |>PROBLEM!
    |>It seemed to load the original software back on, but after finishing I get
    |>an explorer.exe and something about 'brows.eui'
    |>I have a couple of questions please:
    |>
    |>1. When you load XP onto a Win 98 machine, does this create a partition and
    |>is this why I am getting error.
    |>2. Once you have XP alongside Win 98, is there a way of removing XP to go
    |>back to original settings.
    |>
    |>Hope I have explained this clearly enough.
    |>

    |>Many thanks in advance,
    |>
    |>Daz.

    To restore 98:
    Delete the directory Winnt
    Boot up with your 98 start-up disk and type:
    sys a: c:

    |>All I would like to do is reformat the hard drive as one drive...C:\

    You fail to mention how many partitions you have to format C:\ drive
    Boot up with your 98 start-up disk and type:
    format c: /U
    then sys a: c: to allow access to your drive.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    Trax, Jan 8, 2004