Win 98 "Active Desktop" doesn't work...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by JS, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. JS

    JS Guest

    Hey,
    I can't get the "Active Desktop" to work on my Win 98 Toshiba Tecra 8000
    laptop with IE 6.0.
    These are the symptoms:
    1. The "Web" tab is missing from Display Properties.
    2. When I right-click on the desktop, there is no Active Desktop or
    "view as web page" option.
    3. When I click Start/Settings/Active Desktop/"View As Web Page":
    - no check appears next to the "View As Web Page" option.
    - a blank vertical scroll bar appears on the right side of the
    display and all desktop icons disappear (i can get them back by refreshing
    the display).

    I've tried changing the "Windows Desktop Update" in
    "Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/General" to "Web Style", but that didn't
    help.
    The registry shows that Active Desktop *is* installed. The registry also
    shows that the Desktop is "Not being displayed as a web page". I got this
    info from Microsoft KB item:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216840

    I just want to try this Active Desktop, I don't necessarily plan on
    using it.
    Any ideas?

    thanks,
    js.