    I actually wanted to get their 860U but was told that it was Win98
    min. Is that true or can you download special drivers for it?

    Many thanks

    Djembe, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Djembe

    Matt Guest

    "Djembe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
    > upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
    > Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.
    >
    > I actually wanted to get their 860U but was told that it was Win98
    > min. Is that true or can you download special drivers for it?
    >
    > Many thanks

    I think your in the wrong Newsgroup.

    Try: comp.periphs.printers

    Matt, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Djembe

    HRosita Guest

    > wrote:

    >I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
    >upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
    >Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

    Hi,

    Check to see if you can find an older Epson Stylus Phot with parallel port
    connectivity.
    Win 95 does not support USB.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Djembe

    Guest

    Djembe <> wrote:
    : I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
    : upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
    : Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

    : I actually wanted to get their 860U but was told that it was Win98
    : min. Is that true or can you download special drivers for it?

    : Many thanks

    I have used an Epson 1270 on a win95 machine. You just have to use the
    parallel port and not USB for the printer.

    Ray

    --
    E. Ray Lemar

    , Jul 19, 2003
  5. Djembe

    Marius Guest

    Marius, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Djembe

    Frank Hahn Guest

    On 19 Jul 2003 10:42:36 -0700, Djembe <> wrote:
    > I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
    > upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
    > Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

    I have a Canon i850 connected to a Windows 95 machine via the parallel
    port. Their drivers specifically mentioned Windows 95 capable. I
    would look for any printer that has a parallel port and see what the
    box says.

    --
    Frank Hahn

    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
    -- Groucho Marx

    Frank Hahn, Jul 21, 2003
  7. Djembe

    Djembe Guest

    Thanks for the advice so far. But I don't understand, I have used
    other devices in my USB port. The one that springs to mind is my
    web-cam. Are there different versions of Win95 or should I just not
    risk it and go for the Canon i850?

    Cheers

    Djembe, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Djembe

    Bob O`Bob Guest

    Djembe wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice so far. But I don't understand, I have used
    > other devices in my USB port. The one that springs to mind is my
    > web-cam. Are there different versions of Win95 or should I just not
    > risk it and go for the Canon i850?

    The i850 is not much "risk".
    It still has a parallel connector.
    A printer with only USB would be a "risk" ... and it would be one that I wouldn't take.

    Even back when Epson released the Stylus Color 900 (early 1998 I think) and I tried to
    get Win95 USB drivers from them, they said "tough luck"

    While Win95B (right-click "My Computer"; choose "Properties"; look for a "b" after the version)
    has the support for USB hardware, that never forced anyone to write Win95-compatible USB drivers
    for their products. A few did ... very few. And at least for printers, there's just about
    zero chance that a Win98 USB driver can work under Win95.

    Bob

    Bob O`Bob, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Djembe

    Frank Hahn Guest

    On 22 Jul 2003 18:03:40 -0700, Djembe <> wrote:

    > Frank Hahn <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Canon i850 connected to a Windows 95 machine via the
    >> parallel port. Their drivers specifically mentioned Windows 95
    >> capable. I would look for any printer that has a parallel port and
    >> see what the box says.

    > One other thing - Canon don't sell the i850 in the UK from what I can
    > tell (its not on their website and its not on Amazon.co.uk)

    That I can't help with since I live in the USA. Maybe it goes under a
    different model number in the UK?

    --
    Frank Hahn

    Frank Hahn, Jul 23, 2003
  10. Djembe

    Frank Hahn Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:08:18 -0700, Bob O`Bob
    <> wrote:
    > Djembe wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the advice so far. But I don't understand, I have used
    >> other devices in my USB port. The one that springs to mind is my
    >> web-cam. Are there different versions of Win95 or should I just not
    >> risk it and go for the Canon i850?

    > The i850 is not much "risk". It still has a parallel connector. A
    > printer with only USB would be a "risk" ... and it would be one that
    > I wouldn't take.
    >
    > Even back when Epson released the Stylus Color 900 (early 1998 I
    > think) and I tried to get Win95 USB drivers from them, they said
    > "tough luck"
    >
    > While Win95B (right-click "My Computer"; choose "Properties"; look
    > for a "b" after the version) has the support for USB hardware, that
    > never forced anyone to write Win95-compatible USB drivers for their
    > products. A few did ... very few. And at least for printers,
    > there's just about zero chance that a Win98 USB driver can work under
    > Win95.

    Here is a table of MS Windows versions that I took from an on-line
    course that I just completed:

    #v+
    Common Windows 9x versions
    Version Version Number Notes
    Windows 95 Retail *1* 4.00.950 Original Version
    Windows 95 OEM *2* 4.00.950
    Windows 95 Retail SP1 *3* 4.00.950A Major bug fix
    Windows 95 OEM SR2 *4* 4.00.1111 Added FAT32, IE 3.0,
    NetMeeting 1.0, DirectX2.0,bug
    fixes, other updates
    Windows 95 OEM SR2.1 4.03.1212-1214 Added USB support
    Windows 95 OEM SR2.5 4.03.1214 Added IE 4.01, Outlook
    Express, InternetConnection
    Wizard,DirectX 5.0, NetMeeting 2.1,
    Java VM, bug fixes
    Windows 98 Retail 4.10.1998 Original version
    Windows 98 OEM 4.10.1998 Original version
    Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A Added IE 5, DirectX 6.1,
    NetMeeting 3.0, MediaPlayer6.2,
    bug fixes other updates
    Windows Millennium 4.90.3000 Original version

    *1* Retail - Available as retail product

    *2* OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) - Available only with a PC

    *3* SP (Service Pack) - General updates/enhancements

    *4* SR (Service Release) - Replaced the term Service Pack

    This table lists only new versions. Installing any of Microsoft's many
    free updates often changes the version number. We'll see these
    versions in the service pack section.
    #v-

    Hope the above is of benefit.

    --
    Frank Hahn

    Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
    only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.
    -- Wernher von Braun

    Frank Hahn, Jul 23, 2003