    R, and I didn't have anything else there that started with R, I could go
    Start-R and the run dialog would appear. Is it possible to get Win7 to do
    this?

    Zootal, Jan 9, 2010

  2. Zootal

    XS11E Guest

    "Zootal" <> wrote:

    > Firstly, are there no Windows 7 specific groups?

    Yes, but not on the MSFT servers. There's an alt.windows7 but many
    servers don't carry it.

    Other than that you're stuck with the horrible web interface on
    technet.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 9, 2010

  3. Zootal

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Start-ru works on mine. I like Winkey-R as that works on most versions of
    Windows.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Jan 9, 2010
  4. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    Hmm...must be some way then to disable the search dialog. If I press the
    Start button on my keyboard, the start menu appears with the cursor in a box
    "Search programs and files"....I need to look some more...

    Zootal, Jan 10, 2010
  5. Zootal

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Zootal.

    Don't release the WinKey; hold it down like the Shift key while you press
    the R key; that produces "Run". WinKey+E starts Windows Explorer; WinKey+D
    (for Desktop) hides all the icons on your desktop - or brings them back.

    The Windows logo key - often labeled Start and sometimes called the Search
    key, since it does that, too, in Win7 - works like the <Alt> key if you
    press and release, or like the <Ctrl> key if you hold it down.

    And the Usenet newsgroup for Win7 is alt.windows7.general. Sadly, the same
    trolls who have trashed vista.general have already discovered that NG and
    are out-grossing each other in trashing it, too. :>(

    In spite of the protests from many MVPs and other users, Microsoft decided
    to NOT support Win7 in newsgroups; only in web-based forums.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 10, 2010
  6. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    OK, I give. How did you set yours up to do that? Start-ru on mine leaves me
    sitting there looking at the letters "ru" in the search box. If I press
    Start-Tab-R-Enter, then I get run, but I have to tab over to the right
    column in order to select any of them. Yeah, it's just a few keystrokes.

    And how do you add custom menus to the start menu? With XP classic, all you
    did was physically create the directories under \Documents and
    Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\, and then put shortcuts in it. You can do
    that with Win7, but it appears in the Programs list itself, not above it.

    Here is a pic of what I mean. The menu Matty, seen at the top, would open up
    and display its shortcuts if I pressed Start-M, assuming there were no other
    entries at that level that started with M. I could then press the key that a
    shortcut starts with, and it launches that item. So, to start putty, I
    pressed Start-M-P, and putty would launch.

    http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/evilwin7/win2000startmenu.jpg

    With Win7, I press Start-M-P, and I get this:

    http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/evilwin7/win7startmenu.jpg

    Zootal, Jan 10, 2010
  7. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    Tnx for the input. I did find it. It's not too bad today, but a lot of the
    usenet groups are being trashed lately by the spammers. They seem to come
    and go in cycles.

    Zootal, Jan 10, 2010
  8. Zootal

    Kerry Brown Guest

    No idea why that wouldn't work on your computer. You can add the Run command
    to the Start menu. Maybe that would be easier for you. Right click on the
    Start orb. Left click on Properties. Left click on the Customize button.
    Scroll down until you see "Run command" Check the box beside it. Personally
    I recommend using Winkey+r. It keeps the the menu cleaner and it's faster,
    one keystroke vs. using the mouse or two keystrokes.

    Kerry Brown, Jan 10, 2010
  9. Zootal

    Zootal Guest

    I found this gem here: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/, and it gives me
    the good old XP classic start menu. My programs now open up across the
    desktop, and I can see everything again instead of being confined to a small
    area inside of the start menu. That more or less was my biggest issue with
    Win7 - Microsoft telling me that I can no longer do things the way I've done
    them for 15 years since Win95 came out. This gives me back what I want.

    Someone here has to know why when I press the Start button, the default
    behavior is to put the cursor in a search field so I can type in text to
    search for. It has to be a setting somewhere, but I haven't yet found it. I
    can TAB out of it and then the start menu works somewhat as desired.
    Especially since others here are reporting that isn't how it works for them.

    Zootal, Jan 10, 2010
  10. Zootal

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Each to their own :) I prefer the new menu system. I hated the XP fly out
    menus.

    Features aren't removed just for the heck of it. The code for the classic
    menus was pretty old. It would have had to go through the code vetting
    process for security, bugs, compatibility with other features etc. I'm
    guessing a good portion of it would have had to be rewritten to work with
    the new graphics subsystem. Someone made the decision that the resources to
    do that were too expensive.

    Kerry Brown, Jan 11, 2010