    Is there a was to get Win 7 to load SQL along with the GUI, or
    Prioritize it's start among the other services?

    Thanks

    Martin Riddle, Nov 29, 2011

  2. On Nov 29, 12:17 am, "Martin Riddle" <> wrote:
    > So, as I understand Win 7 the GUI starts up fairly quickly and then the
    > rest of 7 services start.
    > That's fine..
    >
    > Now we have a system that uses SQL server that works good, using a SATA
    > drive.
    >
    > The drive is changed to SSD.  Now SQL seems to be delayed in starting.
    > and the server is not ready to accept connection for another 20 seconds.
    >
    > Is there a was to get Win 7 to load SQL along with the GUI, or
    > Prioritize it's start among the other services?

    I don't know the answer, but is that SQL Server starting later, or is
    it the GUI starting sooner?

    Regardless, you should check whether Windows is set to favour
    "Programs" - desktop processes - or "Background processes".

    Also, I've read that SSDs are at greater risk of losing data because
    writing data takes significant time - which is a big no-no for a
    database system. On the other hand, if an SSD isn't cached then its
    write performance will be poor. You may as well put the tempdb
    database on an SSD, but probably not the system volume. If you're
    running Microsoft SQL Server with only one physical disk, you aren't
    serious.

    I also read that launching SQLSERVER.EXE -c in a command window is
    faster than starting it as a service, but I don't know why, or where
    there are drawbacks. For development use, there seem to be several
    other options that also might make it start faster.

    Robert Carnegie, Nov 29, 2011

  3. "Robert Carnegie" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 29, 12:17 am, "Martin Riddle" <> wrote:
    >> So, as I understand Win 7 the GUI starts up fairly quickly and then
    >> the
    >> rest of 7 services start.
    >> That's fine..
    >>
    >> Now we have a system that uses SQL server that works good, using a
    >> SATA
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> The drive is changed to SSD. Now SQL seems to be delayed in
    >> starting.
    >> and the server is not ready to accept connection for another 20
    >> seconds.
    >>
    >> Is there a was to get Win 7 to load SQL along with the GUI, or
    >> Prioritize it's start among the other services?

    > I don't know the answer, but is that SQL Server starting later, or is
    > it the GUI starting sooner?
    >
    > Regardless, you should check whether Windows is set to favour
    > "Programs" - desktop processes - or "Background processes".
    >
    > Also, I've read that SSDs are at greater risk of losing data because
    > writing data takes significant time - which is a big no-no for a
    > database system. On the other hand, if an SSD isn't cached then its
    > write performance will be poor. You may as well put the tempdb
    > database on an SSD, but probably not the system volume. If you're
    > running Microsoft SQL Server with only one physical disk, you aren't
    > serious.
    >
    > I also read that launching SQLSERVER.EXE -c in a command window is
    > faster than starting it as a service, but I don't know why, or where
    > there are drawbacks. For development use, there seem to be several
    > other options that also might make it start faster.

    I cannot tell if the GUI is starting sooner (but I suspect), as a result
    the user can open the application and log onto the SQL server before it
    has fully started. That’s my take at this point. I am looking for ideas
    for a possible solution.
    I'll check to see if background processes are favored, that may help the
    situation.

    Thanks for the info, gives me a place to start.

    Cheers

    Martin Riddle, Dec 1, 2011