    32; resulting in multi-boot option: XP, Win7 32, and Win 7 64.

    Any reason this won't work?

    Thanks.
    Jerry, May 7, 2009

  2. Jerry

    Jane C Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Presently running XP Pro w/SP3.
    >
    > Have downloaded Win 7 RC 32-bit and 64-bit and have burned two DVDs.
    >
    > Would like to multi-boot XP, Win 7 32, and Win 7 64. My hardware is capable
    > of 64 bit install, plenty of hard drive space also.
    >
    > Am assuming procedure would be to boot from Win 7 32 DVD and install in
    > partition separate from XP - results in dual-boot.
    >
    > Then boot from Win 7 64 DVD and install to a different partition from XP and
    > 32; resulting in multi-boot option: XP, Win7 32, and Win 7 64.
    >
    > Any reason this won't work?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As long as you have the partitons already available, you should have no
    problems. Just remember which one is which before installing :)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
    Jane C, May 7, 2009

  3. Jerry

    Carlos Guest

    And that every time he boots into XP, all Win 7 restore points will be lost.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 7, 2009
  4. Jerry

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jerry.

    You got it! ;<)

    I've been multi-booting since WinNT4/Win95 and now have about a half-dozen
    Windows installations (WinXP, Vista and Win7, both x86 and x64 versions of
    some). Each is In a separate logical drive in the extended partition on one
    of my first 2 HDDs. (The last 2 drives are in a RAID 1 mirror reserved for
    data and a few apps, not operating systems.) The new 1 TB Seagate that I
    got last year still has plenty of space left for more volumes - but I'm
    running out of drive letters so I'll have to delete some older OS partitions
    soon.

    You've already learned the Golden Rule of dual-booting: Install the newest
    OS last. Each Setup knows how to handle earlier versions, but older
    versions have no idea what to do with systems that didn't exist when that
    Setup was written.

    A few other tips:
    1. Be well acquainted with Disk Management! This tool first appeared in
    Windows 2000, but many users - even veterans - still haven't found it.
    There are several ways to get there; my favorite is just to press Start,
    type in "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter.

    2. Always NAME your volumes. That way, you'll not be TOO confused when
    "Win7x86" is Drive C: when you are running Win7 x86 and Drive E: when you
    are booted into Vista. It will still be Win7x86 in both systems, even with
    different letters.

    3. If you want to have consistent drive letters among the various OSes,
    then first boot into WinXP and run Disk Management. Create all your volumes
    and assign the letters you want - and they don't all have to be sequential.
    (I'm currently running Win7 x64 RC in Drive X:, the 10th volume on Disk 1.)
    Then insert the Win7 DVD and run Setup from the WinXP desktop, so that it
    can "see" and respect the letters you've assigned. If you boot from the
    DVD, then Setup will start from scratch and assign C: to its own boot
    volume, requiring the system volume be changed, probably to D:, and other
    letters to be reassigned, too.

    4. Make the System Partition (see KB 314470 for the COUNTERintuitive
    definitions of "system volume" and "boot volume", and get comfortable with
    those definitions) small - 1 GB is probably more than enough - and use it
    only for your startup files. For WinXP, these are NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and
    Boot.ini; Vista and Win7 use bootmgr, bootsect.dos and the BCD (Boot
    Configuration Data) files in the hidden \Boot folder in this partition. All
    the rest of each OS should go into the \Windows folder on each boot volume.
    Then you'll be able to wipe out and reformat any of the partitions without
    bothering any of the others. (If you have multiple HDDs, it's good
    insurance to create a small System Partition on each of them and install the
    latest Windows at least once while each is the boot device so that Setup can
    write the startup files to it. That way, if Disk 0 won't boot, you can
    still boot from Disk 1 - to fix Disk 0.)

    5. Win7 has a smaller on-disk footprint than Vista, since Windows Mail
    and other features are no longer imbedded in it. But it tends to grow after
    installation! While 20 GB might be enough to start, make those volumes at
    least 30 GB each and even larger, since you have "plenty of hard drive
    space".

    6. Oh, one more. If this is your first 64-bit system, you might be
    surprised to find a new folder in addition to Program Files, this one named
    "Program Files (x86)". This new PF86 folder is NOT for 64-bit programs, as
    I first thought, since it didn't exist in WinXP Pro. In 64-bit Windows, the
    PF file is reserved for 64-bit apps; 32-bit apps go into the new PF86.
    Windows uses these folders to select the proper drivers and other support
    files, depending on the "bitness" of the app.

    I guess that's enough for now. If you have questions, please post back.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 8, 2009
  5. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    R.C. - thanks for all the info.

    I have two each 1Tb drives already partitioned into four pieces each and
    formatted in FAT32 - each partition has a drive letter and name.

    My understanding is Win7 requires NTFS - so I would assume I should
    convert two of these partitions first to NTFS - one for 32-bit and one for
    64-bit - and format and name them as I want. I used Partition Commander
    rather than
    Disk Management to set these drives up and Partition Commander will make
    changes from FAT32 to NTFS.

    In 3 below you said to run the Win7 install from within XP - I do know you
    cannot upgrade XP to Win7 so I'm assuming here that the Win7 install
    routine will point to a separate loction to install Win7? Also, will this
    process
    edit boot.ini, or whatever it is Win7 calls it, to establish a dual- then
    multi-boot configuration as I first install the 32-bit version then the
    64-bit version?

    Again - thanks

    Jerry, May 9, 2009
  6. Jerry

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jerry.

    > I have two each 1Tb drives already partitioned into four pieces each and
    > formatted in FAT32 - each partition has a drive letter and name.

    Why FAT32 in this day and age? Unless you have a valid special reason, make
    it NTFS all the way!

    > convert two of these partitions first to NTFS - one for 32-bit and one for

    Why convert? Just use Disk Management to format them NTFS. Or let Win7
    Setup handle the formatting as a first step in installing Win7. You're
    going to be doing Clean Installs, so let Win7 Setup handle the formatting.

    > I used Partition Commander rather than
    > Disk Management to set these drives up and Partition Commander will make
    > changes from FAT32 to NTFS.

    I've never used Partition Commander, and seldom needed anything other than
    Disk Management since it appeared in Win2K. And the built-in command
    "convert" will easily and quickly convert from FAT32 to NTFS - if you don't
    simply format volumes in NTFS to start with.

    > In 3 below you said to run the Win7 install from within XP

    Yes! Boot into WinXP, insert the Win7 x86 disk and run Setup.exe from that
    disk. It might just Autorun Setup if you wait several seconds. Then reboot
    into either WinXP or Win7 x86 and do it again with the Win7 x64 disk.

    > I do know you
    > cannot upgrade XP to Win7

    I didn't know that. I think the word is that upgrade to the RC is possible,
    but not supported, but that upgrade from WinXP to the final Win7 will be
    supported. But, in my experience, even going back into the Win9xes, most
    users who upgraded later went back and did a clean install anyway because of
    all the niggling little problems that never seemed to go away after the
    upgrade. Also, at least one Vista-to-Win7RC upgrader reported that it took
    several hours, compared to a half-hour for a clean install.

    > so I'm assuming here that the Win7 install
    > routine will point to a separate loction to install Win7?

    No. YOU will point to a new location. Win7 Setup will show you all the
    available partitions and allow you to choose. It will also show you any
    unpartitioned space and offer to create a partition there and format it for
    you, if it is a large enough space.

    > Also, will this process
    > edit boot.ini, or whatever it is Win7 calls it, to establish a dual- then
    > multi-boot configuration as I first install the 32-bit version then the
    > 64-bit version?

    Not exactly. See my original point 4. When the first Win7 is installed,
    Setup will not destroy the WinXP boot system, but will install the Win7
    system alongside those files in the system partition. On each reboot
    thereafter, Win7's BCD will present the OS menu choices. One (or more) of
    those choices will be Win7; another will be "An earlier version of Windows".
    When you choose the "earlier version", the BCD will kind of step back out of
    the way and turn control over to bootsect.dos, the saved version of the
    WinXP boot sector, which will find NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini. From
    this point, the computer will forget about Win7, except that something is
    taking up a lot of disk space. When you choose Win7, the system will ignore
    the WinXP files, again except for something taking up disk space.

    When the second Win7 (x64) is installed, it will just update the BCD to add
    the additional Win7 installation. One hassle is that you will have two
    identical menu choices of "Microsoft Windows 7". The computer is happy to
    work with the duplicate entries, but you will need to use the built-in
    BCDEdit.exe - or a friendlier third-party utility - to edit at least one of
    those entries so that you can tell them apart. You'll probably want to make
    one say something like Win7x64. (This is not new behavior; multi-booters
    often had to choose between identical "Windows XP" options until they edited
    Boot.ini.)

    You've already done the hard part: bought the HDDs. And you've already
    partitioned them, which Win7 would have been happy to do for you. Now, all
    you have to do is boot into WinXP, insert the Win7 x86 DVD, run Setup - and
    follow the prompts. Choose which partition to use for 32-bit Win7 and let
    Setup install it there, including reformatting that partition. Then reboot
    into either WinXP or Win7 x86, insert the Win7 x64 DVD...lather, rinse,
    repeat. ;^)

    The hardest part of the transition will probably be breaking out of the
    WinXP mindset. Win7 (and Vista) look a lot like WinXP on the surface. But
    there are many differences under the hood. If you try to use Win7 like you
    do WinXP, you'll have troubles and frustration. But if you take the time
    and make the effort to understand how and why Win7 is different, you will
    soon "stop trying to find the clutch pedal and let the automatic
    transmission do the shifting for you". And like so many who have tried
    Vista or Win7 for more than a week or two, you won't dream of going back to
    WinXP. ;<)

    If you run into any problems, post back. But thousands (millions?) of users
    have done it already. I'm sure you can, too.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 10, 2009
  7. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    R.C White

    My comments below about not being able to upgrade from XP to Win7 are those
    that are all over the Microsoft sites concerning Win7; every place
    stipulates emphatically that there will be no upgrade path from XP to Win7.

    Why FAT32 in this day and age? - because I have real-mode DOS programs I
    like and I have been using for years. Plus, I've had a few friends that were
    really frustrated with the differences between FAT and NTFS and really hated
    the difference. Something about having to 'own this' or "take ownership of
    that" - which I'm assuming is a function of NTFS.

    I copied all your info and will be refering to it in the future as I install
    the newer version.

    Thanks
    Jerry

    Jerry, May 10, 2009
  8. Jerry

    TMA Guest

    > My comments below about not being able to upgrade from XP to Win7 are
    > those that are all over the Microsoft sites concerning Win7; every place
    > stipulates emphatically that there will be no upgrade path from XP to
    > Win7.

    Don't upgrade anything. Just boot up your computer off the Win7 install dvd
    and you'll be fine

    > Why FAT32 in this day and age? - because I have real-mode DOS programs I
    > like and I have been using for years. Plus, I've had a few friends that
    > were really frustrated with the differences between FAT and NTFS and
    > really hated the difference. Something about having to 'own this' or "take
    > ownership of that" - which I'm assuming is a function of NTFS.

    Just forget about FAT32 as your main file system for your OS's. If you want
    to keep compatibility with older softwares, just create a new
    volume/partition with FAT32 and put your files in it. You can apply the
    instructions above to make it visible, assign a drive letter and all. Other
    than that, I'd recommend you to use NTFS for all your windows partitions
    since XP.
    NTFS allocates files much better than FAT32, it supports larger files, and
    handles much better fragmented files (which are 100% of your files). In
    other words, FAT32 is stone age, avoid it the best you can.

    > I copied all your info and will be refering to it in the future as I
    > install the newer version.

    That's good to know.

    As for the partitioning thingy, I'd recommend you to get all your volumes
    pre-established before even running Win7 setup. You don't need to format
    them because setup can do it, just create the unformatted partitions one for
    each x64 and x32.

    About Boot Commander or any other boot loader ... Windows 7 will automaticly
    detect your installed OS'es and put them into its own boot loader (which is
    a good one). So no need to install third party boot loaders. As you install
    a new version, let's say win7 x64, it will automaticly adjust your main
    drive's boot table and add the new OS to the list. No big deal, just keep
    defaults. If you want to see/edit these options after installing, you can
    run msconfig from any of the windows OS's you have.
    TMA, May 18, 2009
  9. Jerry

    McG. Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > And that every time he boots into XP, all Win 7 restore points will be
    > lost.
    > Carlos

    Does that include the scenario of XP Pro x64 SP2 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    bit RC (7100) installed on separate hard disks? the dual boot was set by
    W7.

    McG.
    McG., May 22, 2009
  10. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    I would look here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro for more
    knowledgeable answers about Win7 RC.

    Jerry, May 22, 2009
  11. Jerry

    John Barnes Guest

    Also make sure your version of Partition Commander, if you don't take RC's
    advice, is Vista compatible. There was a version change in NTFS that causes
    problems, usually deferred. I would take his advice and do the formatting
    during each of the installs using the OS's installer.

    John Barnes, May 24, 2009
  12. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    I don't have VISTA - comments do not apply.

    Jerry, May 24, 2009
  13. Jerry

    McG. Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > I would look here:
    > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro for more
    > knowledgeable answers about Win7 RC.
    >
    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >>> And that every time he boots into XP, all Win 7 restore points will be
    >>> lost.
    >>> Carlos

    >> Does that include the scenario of XP Pro x64 SP2 and Windows 7 Ultimate
    >> 64 bit RC (7100) installed on separate hard disks? the dual boot was
    >> set by W7.
    >>
    >> McG.

    Thanks, but this ng was plenty to wade through.
    McG.
    McG., May 25, 2009
  14. Jerry

    John Barnes Guest

    It is hard to help someone who can't/won't read. NTFS version was changed
    with Vista and is still used in Windows 7. If your Partition Commander is
    XP or prior you should NOT create partitions for Windows 7 with it. Use the
    installer for Windows 7 as RC recommended.

    John Barnes, May 25, 2009
  15. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Nope

    Jerry, May 25, 2009
  16. Jerry

    Dennis Pack Guest

    OT Re: Win 7 RC multi-boot

    John:
    Have a great holiday weekend.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1, Win-7 x64

    Dennis Pack, May 25, 2009
  17. Jerry

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: OT Re: Win 7 RC multi-boot