    I still have XP on the D drive partition
    Thanks.
    Roky
    Roky, Mar 18, 2011

  2. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > I installed Win 7 in a partition of 14GB.
    > Did I make a mistake? I thought it worked like the partition of my Xp
    > which
    > is only 9GB but it seems the software ends up in the partition unlike
    > my Xp where the
    > software ends up in Drive C
    >
    > What should I do? Can I make the partion bigger? My hard drive is 320
    > Hp,4600 athlon,2GBram,
    >
    > I still have XP on the D drive partition
    > Thanks.
    > Roky

    This isn't really sufficient, but it shows you the OS does have some
    primitive capabilities.

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/drey/arc...-shrink-and-expand-partitions-on-the-fly.aspx

    Given the description you've provided so far, it really depends on whether
    the Windows 7 partition is to the left, or to the right, of the WinXP
    partition. If you had unused space, to the right of the Windows 7 partition,
    then look at that blog page for the shrink or expand options available
    in Windows 7. Expand should do the trick.

    http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/...dwindows7shrinkandexpandpa_10399/image_10.png

    I've only used the shrink function in Windows 7, to shrink a too-large C:
    down in size. The Windows 7 option is limited to a 50% shrinkage, due to the
    position of un-moveable metadata. A third party tool is needed to aid Windows
    to do better than that. I would not expect partition expansion to be a problem,
    so what you want to do should work. At least, as long as there is room to the
    immediate right of your Windows 7 main partition.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 18, 2011

  3. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Mar 18, 2011
  4. Roky

    Kele Guest

    I was checking out Solid State Drives (SSD)... looks like the consensus,
    bare minimum SSD for Win7, is the 16 GB size.

    There are partition manager programs. I've not used one, but read they can
    expand partition without having to re-format.

    ---------------

    Kele, Mar 20, 2011
  5. "Kele" <> wrote in message

    SNIP

    > There are partition manager programs. I've not used one, but read they
    > can
    > expand partition without having to re-format.

    SNIPPED ROCKY SNIP SNIP

    I have used one of the freeware partition manager programs before awhile
    back. I don't remember which one, but it had good reviews and I got it off
    one of my main freeware sites.

    It was super easy to use - of course, any time you're messing with resizing
    the partitions there are potential risks, but this one gave me no problems
    and from the descriptions on most, it shouldn't be too difficult.
    James D Andrews, Mar 20, 2011
  6. Roky

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > "Kele" <> wrote in message
    >
    > SNIP
    >
    >> There are partition manager programs. I've not used one, but read they
    >> can
    >> expand partition without having to re-format.
    >>

    > SNIPPED ROCKY SNIP SNIP

    > I have used one of the freeware partition manager programs before awhile
    > back. I don't remember which one, but it had good reviews and I got it off
    > one of my main freeware sites.
    >
    > It was super easy to use - of course, any time you're messing with resizing
    > the partitions there are potential risks, but this one gave me no problems
    > and from the descriptions on most, it shouldn't be too difficult.

    You don't have to look very hard, to find horror stories from
    using partitioning software. Even Partition Magic has ruined
    stuff. And so has at least one of the freely available ones. And
    that happened while doing a pretty simple operation.

    Part of the reason for a tool failing, is due to the state of the
    disk when the user goes to do the operation. Perhaps the user
    has never run CHKDSK, and the partition is damaged. The partition
    software may do CHKDSK anyway, as its first step. If the user does it,
    there is still a chance the user can stop the operation, if there
    are signs the disk is sick, and won't survive the attempt.

    A backup in advance of surgery, a complete backup, is a good idea.
    That means, owning at least one extra disk drive, where you can
    store a copy of the disk, before doing dangerous stuff to it.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 20, 2011
  7. Roky

    Roky Guest

    I reinstalled win 7 on a 97 GB partition and it is ok now.
    Roky, Mar 27, 2011