Win 7 license question

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Sardine, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. Sardine

    Sardine Guest

    I just bought a new Eee netbook with Win-7 "starter" version installed.
    It works fine.

    I searched the computer with a license key finder and found:

    1. a win-7 license key, as I expected to.
    2. A second win-7 license key called "default prod. key."
    3. The win-7 license key sticker on the Eee is different than either of
    the above.

    So I seem to be confused, which is normal for MS software.

    I believe the first one is the actual working key. What is the second one?

    Also, what about the third key printed on the sticker? I wonder if it is
    also valid if used to install?

    To top it off, Asus doesn't include an install disk so I don't know what
    that would say on it.

    Help please.

    Sardine
    Sardine, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Sardine

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Try freeware "produkey"
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    and you will find the "right" key.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 5, 2010

  3. Sardine wrote:
    > I just bought a new Eee netbook with Win-7 "starter" version
    > installed.
    >
    > It works fine.
    >
    > I searched the computer with a license key finder and found:
    >
    > 1. a win-7 license key, as I expected to.
    > 2. A second win-7 license key called "default prod. key."
    > 3. The win-7 license key sticker on the Eee is different than
    > either of the above.
    >
    > So I seem to be confused, which is normal for MS software.
    >
    > I believe the first one is the actual working key. What is the
    > second one?
    > Also, what about the third key printed on the sticker? I wonder if
    > it is also valid if used to install?
    >
    > To top it off, Asus doesn't include an install disk so I don't know
    > what that would say on it.

    What manner does ASUS provide for returning the machine to its 'as
    purchased' state? They are required to give you a method - even if you have
    to make the CD/DVDs yourself from the working machine, use a second
    partition (recovery) on the machine itself or call and ask for CD/DVDs - you
    should figure that part out *now* while it is all new. Now you have some
    pull, later, not so much.

    The product key might be on the case/packaging for the CD/DVD - but being an
    OEM product - most often the *only* location for it is the sticker attached
    to the OEM machine. You should write that down and store it with the
    instructions/CDs/DVDs that came with/you make/you print for that machine in
    a safe lacation - likely the same place you store your periodic off-site
    backups.

    The product key on your sticker is the correct one. The one that is
    probably being used may be a 'volume license type' or another type they just
    put on all their systems to make distributing them easier on themselves.

    Get the product key being *used* right now using a free tool:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/topkeyfinder.htm

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 5, 2010
  4. Sardine

    Sardine Guest

    On 7/4/2010 7:35 PM, Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Sardine wrote:
    >> I just bought a new Eee netbook with Win-7 "starter" version
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> It works fine.
    >>
    >> I searched the computer with a license key finder and found:
    >>
    >> 1. a win-7 license key, as I expected to.
    >> 2. A second win-7 license key called "default prod. key."
    >> 3. The win-7 license key sticker on the Eee is different than
    >> either of the above.
    >>
    >> So I seem to be confused, which is normal for MS software.
    >>
    >> I believe the first one is the actual working key. What is the
    >> second one?
    >> Also, what about the third key printed on the sticker? I wonder if
    >> it is also valid if used to install?
    >>
    >> To top it off, Asus doesn't include an install disk so I don't know
    >> what that would say on it.

    > What manner does ASUS provide for returning the machine to its 'as
    > purchased' state? They are required to give you a method - even if you have
    > to make the CD/DVDs yourself from the working machine, use a second
    > partition (recovery) on the machine itself or call and ask for CD/DVDs - you
    > should figure that part out *now* while it is all new. Now you have some
    > pull, later, not so much.
    >
    > The product key might be on the case/packaging for the CD/DVD - but being an
    > OEM product - most often the *only* location for it is the sticker attached
    > to the OEM machine. You should write that down and store it with the
    > instructions/CDs/DVDs that came with/you make/you print for that machine in
    > a safe lacation - likely the same place you store your periodic off-site
    > backups.
    >
    > The product key on your sticker is the correct one. The one that is
    > probably being used may be a 'volume license type' or another type they just
    > put on all their systems to make distributing them easier on themselves.
    >
    > Get the product key being *used* right now using a free tool:
    > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/topkeyfinder.htm

    Thanks Shenan.

    Magic Jellybean tells me that my key is 6K6WB..... and I'm sure this is
    correct as far as what is installed and running on my Eee. My Win
    sticker is P38DR.... and I expect I could use that one if needed?

    Asus has installed a recovery partition that is activated by pressing a
    function key during bootup. This would take me back in time to being a
    "new" computer again.

    I have created several image backups of the 250 GB drive using Macrium
    Reflect freeware. These are stored on external sata drives. I have used
    this software on XP pro SP3 and Win 7/64 machines and it always has
    worked fine. I have strong faith that it would also restore to my Eee
    drive and give me an exact bootable system.

    I agree with your thoughts about "volume license type" key in my Eee.

    The part I don't understand is the "Windows Default Product Key" that is
    revealed when using "System Info. for Windows" software. Do I (or all
    Windows installs) have a default key number? If so, what can I use it for?

    Thanks,

    Sardine
    Sardine, Jul 5, 2010
  5. Sardine

    Sardine Guest

    On 7/4/2010 7:35 PM, Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Sardine wrote:
    >> I just bought a new Eee netbook with Win-7 "starter" version
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> It works fine.
    >>
    >> I searched the computer with a license key finder and found:
    >>
    >> 1. a win-7 license key, as I expected to.
    >> 2. A second win-7 license key called "default prod. key."
    >> 3. The win-7 license key sticker on the Eee is different than
    >> either of the above.
    >>
    >> So I seem to be confused, which is normal for MS software.
    >>
    >> I believe the first one is the actual working key. What is the
    >> second one?
    >> Also, what about the third key printed on the sticker? I wonder if
    >> it is also valid if used to install?
    >>
    >> To top it off, Asus doesn't include an install disk so I don't know
    >> what that would say on it.

    > What manner does ASUS provide for returning the machine to its 'as
    > purchased' state? They are required to give you a method - even if you have
    > to make the CD/DVDs yourself from the working machine, use a second
    > partition (recovery) on the machine itself or call and ask for CD/DVDs - you
    > should figure that part out *now* while it is all new. Now you have some
    > pull, later, not so much.
    >
    > The product key might be on the case/packaging for the CD/DVD - but being an
    > OEM product - most often the *only* location for it is the sticker attached
    > to the OEM machine. You should write that down and store it with the
    > instructions/CDs/DVDs that came with/you make/you print for that machine in
    > a safe lacation - likely the same place you store your periodic off-site
    > backups.
    >
    > The product key on your sticker is the correct one. The one that is
    > probably being used may be a 'volume license type' or another type they just
    > put on all their systems to make distributing them easier on themselves.
    >
    > Get the product key being *used* right now using a free tool:
    > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/topkeyfinder.htm

    I think I found the answer to my last question.

    "A default product key is one that is hard coded into the OS that allows
    for temporary activation while you are evaluating Windows 7."

    Thanks,

    Sardine
    Sardine, Jul 5, 2010