    --
    Ilya Zeldes
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Ilya Zeldes, Nov 29, 2009

  2. Ilya Zeldes

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:11:59 -0500, "Ilya Zeldes" <> wrote:

    >I'm Administrator for my new DELL machine with OEM Windows 7. I transferred
    >most of my documents and settings from the old XP Home machine. Everything
    >looks fine. However, I cannot access the Documents and Settings, Config.msi,
    >System Recovery, System Volume Info and some other folders. I'm the only
    >account on this machine. Do I need special permissions? How to get them in
    >Win 7?

    http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to...sions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

    I would also suggest you download the .reg file to enable rt. click "take
    ownership" in the right click menu mentioned in the article. It works great.
    G. Morgan, Nov 29, 2009

  3. Ilya Zeldes

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ilya.

    Win7 (like Vista) does not actually have a "Documents & Settings" folder.
    Because some applications that were written for WinXP are hard-coded to look
    for the D&S folder, Win7 has a "Junction Point" by that name. The Junction
    Point looks like a folder in some contexts, but it actually has NO files; it
    simply points to the Win7 equivalent.

    For example, instead of C:\Documents and Settings\Ilya\My Documents, you
    should be able to find C:\Users\Ilya\Documents. (The "My" prefix was
    dropped from several of the folder names.) And, if you are logged on to the
    "Ilya" Administrator account, you should not need special permissions to see
    the files in that folder. You will need Ilya's password for some functions.

    Some of the other folders you mentioned may require special permissions, but
    you should follow the Users\<username> approach to find those. For details,
    search in Help and Support for "permissions".

    Of course, you really should realize that "this is not your father's XP".
    ;^} Win7 looks a lot like WinXP on the surface, and there are many
    similarities under the hood - but there are a LOT of differences, too. Some
    users shake off the WinXP mindset quickly and get comfortable with Win7.
    Others have problems because they keep expecting to use Win7 the way they
    did WinXP.

    Welcome to Win7. I think you'll like it - after a few days invested in
    learning your way around. But, it is NOT WinXP!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 29, 2009
  4. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Dear R.C. White and G. Morgan,

    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them and will try to implement.

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 1, 2009
  5. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Just tried to follow the advice in the article you've referred to and run
    into few problems...
    First, I downloaded and extracted the .reg file, however, it would not
    install in the registry. All it would do - open in a Notepad. I think, from
    there I could make changes in the Registry manually...
    Then I tried to take ownership manually, and got lost because my settings in
    some instances were different from the instruction and I could not find the
    equivalents...
    At the end, I'm back to square one...

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 1, 2009
  6. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Thanks for detailed explanation of the root of my problem. Yes, I'm aware
    (and feel!) that Win 7 is not my beloved XP. But it's OK. Apparently, I must
    be a masochist, because, in spite of all troubles, I like it ;-)
    I checked the Property of Docs and Settings folder and it shows no size,
    while some other "inaccessible" folders show 0 KB. Does this mean that they
    are empty? If so, should I delete them? I believe, the D&S folder came from
    the file transfer from my old comp...
    Your advice is appreciated.

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 1, 2009
  7. Re: Win 7 - access to Documents and Settings (and some others) foldersis denied

    Only if you like to play with dynamite. The reason you see 0KB is
    because they are symbolic links. Don't mess with Windows default
    settings unless you like to live dangerously and don't mind rebuilding
    your system on a regular basis!

    Documents and Settings is a System folder and there on a clean install.
    Why do people want to go messing with things they don't know anything
    about and then wonder why it breaks all the time?

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 1, 2009
  8. Ilya Zeldes

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ilya.

    > I checked the Property of Docs and Settings folder and it shows no size,

    Of course there is NO size. Please read my message again.

    In Win7 (and Vista) THERE IS NO D&S FOLDER!

    And that's what I said in my first sentence.

    There is only a "Junction Point". It's just a signpost, not a folder. All
    it does is point the way to folders in the C:\Users\Ilya folder tree.

    If a program was written for WinXP, it may be hard-coded to look for
    information in D&S. So when it runs in Win7, it will be stymied if it can't
    find D&S. So the Win7 developers put in the "imitation folder" named D&S to
    satisfy those older programs that don't know what to do if they can't find
    D&S. But, all D&S does is point the way to the actual folders in Win7.

    > I believe, the D&S folder came from the file transfer from my old comp...

    Not really. The D&S Junction Point (NOT folder) is a feature of Win7, even
    if WinXP never existed on your computer.

    The Win7 developers really should have put in a more meaningful "error
    message" than "Access Denied". We are not really denied access to that
    "folder"; it is not really even "not accessible". It doesn't exist! Why
    couldn't the message say what I said above: that D&S is not a folder, but a
    Junction Point? Ditto the C:\Users\Default User "folder" - and a few
    others. Like, in the C:\Users\Ilya folder, you probably have TWO "My
    Documents" folders; if you click one, it opens as usual, but if you click
    the other, you get the "Access Denied" error message.

    I'm an accountant, not a developer, and I can't explain all these
    "features". But I can try to stop users from beating their heads against a
    brick wall, trying to fix something that ain't broke - just unexplained.

    RC

    R. C. White, Dec 1, 2009
  9. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Hello, R.C.,

    of course, you were clear in your first message and even clearer in the
    second. I read both messages with much interest and appreciate your help.
    For the last 5 days, since I brought in this new comp and until your
    explanations, I did exactly as you expected - beat my head against a brick
    wall.

    Thanks again for saving my sanity.

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 2, 2009
  10. Ilya Zeldes

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ilya.

    I'm glad to help.

    I should have made clear that I was NOT SHOUTING with the all caps in my
    last message. Just trying to emphasize some points that might otherwise
    have been buried in all my verbose text. ;^}

    RC

    R. C. White, Dec 2, 2009