    007 Guest

    Do I need clean install or just upgrade?
    Thanks
    007, Oct 26, 2009

  2. Clean install. You can still use Windows Easy Transfer for program and
    personal settings and data, but programs must be reinstalled.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 26, 2009

  3. While it's possible to do an upgrade, you want to do a clean install. WET
    simplifies the whole thing and your experience will be better overall.

    --
    Charlie.
    http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2009
  4. 007

    Carlos Guest

    007,
    It is always advisable a clean install, it will only take you 20 minutes.
    If you don't have the patience to install all your applications again then
    try the upgrade path.
    Please note that it might take more than one hour depending on how many
    applications are already installed.
    My suggestion: Use Windows Easy Transfer and go for a clean install.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 26, 2009
  5. Carlos,

    The Win 7 RTM media will not allow you to "upgrade" from RC to RTM, so
    007 has no choice.

    Bobby

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 26, 2009
  6. 007

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    You are right, that is the proper official answer.
    However, upgrade is possible though it will not be backed up by MSFT.
    I once read how it can be done (very easily by manually editing the
    cversion.ini file in the Sources folder) and my lack of memory made me think
    that it was possible as a normal option.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 26, 2009
  7. Even the website that tells you how you can do as you have below
    recommends not doing it stating your OS performance is better with a
    clean install.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 26, 2009
  8. 007

    Carlos Guest

    That's why my final suggestion was
    "Use Windows Easy Transfer and go for a clean install"
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 27, 2009