    where I got the resource kit file from.

    Thank you in advance for any insight.

    Ian Welch
    Ian Welch, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Ian Welch

    docmill Guest

    Ian Welch <> wrote in
    news:%WIye.24386$:

    > I'm trying to schedule a shutdown through scheduled tasks on my laptop.
    > I have the SHUTDOWN.EXE file from Windows 2000 Resource Kit and it works
    > fine. However it doesn't completely shutdown the computer. It stops at
    > the "You can safely shut off the computer" screen. If I select shutdown
    > from the start menu, the laptop powers down all the way automatically,
    > but for some reason it doesn't via the SHUTDOWN.EXE file.
    >
    > Any ideas what the start menu shutdown is doing differently that I can
    > somehow utilize?
    >
    > By the way http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm is
    > where I got the resource kit file from.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any insight.
    >
    > Ian Welch

    This might help.

    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    docmill, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Ian Welch

    Ian Welch Guest

    docmill wrote:
    > Ian Welch <> wrote in
    >

    >>I'm trying to schedule a shutdown through scheduled tasks on my laptop.
    >>I have the SHUTDOWN.EXE file from Windows 2000 Resource Kit and it works
    >>fine. However it doesn't completely shutdown the computer. It stops at
    >>the "You can safely shut off the computer" screen. If I select shutdown
    >>from the start menu, the laptop powers down all the way automatically,
    >>but for some reason it doesn't via the SHUTDOWN.EXE file.
    >>
    >>Any ideas what the start menu shutdown is doing differently that I can
    >>somehow utilize?
    >>
    >>By the way http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm is
    >>where I got the resource kit file from.
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance for any insight.
    >>
    >>Ian Welch
    >>

    > This might help.

    Just to reiterate my problem, the "shutdown /l /y" command doesn't power
    off the computer like the shutdown command from the start menu.

    My apologies, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I have Win 2k on my
    laptop which uses a different SHUTDOWN.EXE than Win XP. I'm using the
    Win 2k version from the Resource Kit. The format is "shutdown /l /y".
    This shuts down the laptop but doesn't power it off like the start menu
    does. So if anyone knows what the start menu shutdown is doing that
    not only shuts downs Windows but also powers off the computer, please
    let me know.

    Thanks again.
    Ian Welch, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Ian Welch

    Guest

    Ian Welch <> wrote:

    |>Just to reiterate my problem, the "shutdown /l /y" command doesn't power
    |>off the computer like the shutdown command from the start menu.

    The -l switch is to log-off, use the -S switch (shutdown)

    Don't know what the -Y switch is for, must be the difference of Win2K
    and XP

    I use the shutdown command in my quick launch bar, one click to quit,
    works fine for me.

    In a command window type in: shutdown /?
    for options.
    --
    , Jul 6, 2005
  5. Ian Welch

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:16:58 -0400, Ian Welch wrote:

    >I'm trying to schedule a shutdown through scheduled tasks on my laptop.
    >I have the SHUTDOWN.EXE file from Windows 2000 Resource Kit and it works
    >fine. However it doesn't completely shutdown the computer. It stops at
    >the "You can safely shut off the computer" screen. If I select shutdown
    >from the start menu, the laptop powers down all the way automatically,
    >but for some reason it doesn't via the SHUTDOWN.EXE file.

    Try this, mentioned before
    www.sysinternals.com
    PsTools

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsTools.html
    and the command PsShutdown - shuts down and optionally reboots a
    computer.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jul 6, 2005