Win 2k Server and the Services will not stop.

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Kev, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Has anyone any idea about this problem im having? Its a Win 2k Server and
    the Services will not stop.

    They go into a stopping state then timeout and stay in a stopping state,
    they never get to stopped. It's all services too not any particular ones.

    It is attached to an APC UPS which i wouldnt have believed but on the
    website it does state that v6 of there software can cause this and recommend
    going onto v7.

    Ok but on installing v7 it needs to create 2 new agent services and yep
    you've guessed it, it cant!

    Not onsite now, but any ideas how to rectify this? I dont think it will
    allow me to install in safe mode or would it? Or anyone else got a link to
    any knowledge base re the services as I can't for the life of me find one.

    Or is it something else?

    Thanks
    Kev
    Kev, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Kev

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Kev" <> say in

    > Has anyone any idea about this problem im having? Its a Win 2k Server
    > and the Services will not stop.
    >
    > They go into a stopping state then timeout and stay in a stopping
    > state, they never get to stopped. It's all services too not any
    > particular ones.
    >
    > It is attached to an APC UPS which i wouldnt have believed but on the
    > website it does state that v6 of there software can cause this and
    > recommend going onto v7.
    >
    > Ok but on installing v7 it needs to create 2 new agent services and
    > yep you've guessed it, it cant!
    >
    > Not onsite now, but any ideas how to rectify this? I dont think it
    > will allow me to install in safe mode or would it? Or anyone else got
    > a link to any knowledge base re the services as I can't for the life
    > of me find one.
    >
    > Or is it something else?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kev

    this may be two different issues. The Services not stopping is likely
    what APC has informed you of. You might still be able to kill the
    processes (if you can find the correct PID in task manager) by using the
    KILL command found in the resource kit. But for now lets assume that APC
    is correct and you need teh powerchute upgrade.

    The problem of not being able to install is more likely permissions
    related. Ensure you have local administrative permissions (at teh very
    least) and if you are still unable to install it, try creating a new user
    account with admin priveledges and logging in as that. I have on occasion
    had issues with profiles that have been messed up and this is one way
    around that. You will still need to go back and fix the profile and you
    should try and make sure that the account that does the install sticks
    around, but its a couple of things to try.

    Keep us posted.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.
    Neil, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Kev

    Lasher Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns97495E43D64CBneilmcsegmailcom@
    207.46.248.16:

    >> Has anyone any idea about this problem im having? Its a Win 2k Server
    >> and the Services will not stop.

    I have that problem all the time.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010
    Lasher, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Found this if it helps as well, havent tried it yet though.

    quote:

    SINCE YESTERDAY we've received several reports from users experiencing
    similar problems. Please restart your server in Safe Mode and disable the
    APC PBE Agent-service.....
    And Yes, after rebooting and disabling this rotten service the server came
    up perfectly normal. And yes, it worked on all the servers experiencing the
    problem. So, I'd say ... don't buy APC-stocks this week, and I'm certainly
    going to follow the APC-news coming days.

    quote:

    1. If you are running PowerChute: -

    A number of questions have been posted for "Apply Computer Settings" and
    Services not running or hang and this is because of APC PBE agent was trying
    to start (relates to the UPS, which is no longer attached to the server). So
    disabling this service in your server should work properly. We had a
    conversation with M$ guys and they said that they are going to put a patch
    and a KB desribing the fault, on their web site. Keep yourself updated with
    MS guys and recent news on it.

    This problem started because you reboot your server. After reboot the
    service with Java RunTime Components are re-initialized. If components
    expired then this will happen. Last week we have received many queries
    regarding this and trying to solve all the problems related to this.

    The options are: -
    _To upgrade to a latest version (7)
    _To stop APC PBE service from services.msc snap-in.
    _To uninstall PowerChute in Safe Mode.

    2. If you are not running PowerChute and problem started after applying SP4
    then there is an option to roll back Service Pack 4 using Recovery Console.
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm (Same applies to windows 2000 also).

    3. Apply the latest Update rollup for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4: -
    Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 and known issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

    Let us know.

    SystmProg

    Is there anything in add remove programs for an old UPS? Have you tried the
    service pack roll back? uninstall java engine (if installed)

    unplug the ups, reinstall the com drivers?

    its probably a very simple thing that we are over looking.

    Kev

    Also the MS UPS Service is that running

    Kev, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Kev

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Kev" <> say in

    > SINCE YESTERDAY we've received several reports from users experiencing
    > similar problems. Please restart your server in Safe Mode and disable
    > the APC PBE Agent-service.....
    > And Yes, after rebooting and disabling this rotten service the server
    > came up perfectly normal.

    thanks for the update (stashes appropriate info for later use)

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - "This is time travel," she said relatively.
    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Kev

    Kurt Guest

    How about changing the services to start manually and reboot.

    Kurt, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Kev

    kpg Guest

    Kurt <> said something like

    > How about changing the services to start manually and
    > reboot.

    (!) That's called thinking outside the box.

    kpg
    kpg, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Morning All,

    Tried again last night there was no Powerchute software anywhere to be found
    on the machine (folders or registry). No Services mentioning APC and it
    wouldnt allow me to upgrade to v7 as the services were failing.

    It also wouldnt allow me to install the Update Rollup due to the same. There
    was no Java engine installed, and I rebooted to safe mode a few times to
    check other options.

    Disabled the MS UPS Service and I also disabled Com1 and removed the UPS
    from the port. Didn't make any difference either.

    Totally scratching my head now and everything I tried was catch 22, couldnt
    install or remove things.

    Decided to go back into Safe Mode as this APC issue couldn't have been what
    I was looking for, but then again it was every single issue that was
    affected and nothing else mentioned it on the net plus was hooked up to one
    of there UPS devices.

    Couldn't find anything else on the net apart from this, but decided <straws
    and clutching> to disable the services for Symantec Antivirus 9 Corporate.
    It's the server/client version.

    Booted back into main and bingo everything back working exactly the way it
    should be. The machine even felt like a new Server with a new lease of life.

    And that pile of shat program was strangling it to death. That has put the
    final nail in the coffin for me and that pile of shat software now. I
    experienced problems with it on a couple of new laptops that suddenly
    started acting like 486's. Removed the software and they sprang to life
    again.

    Regards
    Kev

    Kev, Jan 13, 2006