    "No file found" appears on the screen. Even if I search for
    a known and unhidden file.

    Pocahontas
    News, Aug 24, 2004

  2. News

    °Mike° Guest

    How is that a problem?

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:44:55 +0200, in
    <cgfuqo$l2i$>
    News scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 24, 2004

  3. News

    News Guest

    The Problem is, that the search function doesn't work at all anymore.

    Pocahontas

    News, Aug 24, 2004
  4. News

    News Guest

    Hi Mike

    The problem description was, maybe a little vague.
    When I open say the Drive C: and can see e.g. "boot.ini",
    this file isn't hidden.
    Nevertheless when I try to search drive C: for "boot.ini",
    the file is not found by Search.
    And this goes for every File on every Disk, which means
    that Search doesn't work anymore.

    Thanks
    Pocahontas

    News, Aug 24, 2004
  5. News

    °Mike° Guest

    I see; so your search results are ALWAYS negative?

    In that case, try running the system file checker:
    Start --> Run --> sfc /scannow

    Another alternative -- far superior to the Windows
    search assistant -- is Agent Ransack (free):
    http://www.agentransack.com/default.aspx

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:31:12 +0200, in
    <cgg1hf$np2$>
    News scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 24, 2004
  6. News

    News Guest

    SFC /sannow didn't help,
    so I installed Agent Ransack.
    Works great

    Thanks a lot for your help

    News, Aug 24, 2004
  7. News

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:31:02 +0200, in
    <cgg8i7$skq$>
    News scrawled:

    >SFC /sannow didn't help,
    >so I installed Agent Ransack.
    >Works great
    >
    >Thanks a lot for your help
    >
    >Pocahontas
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Aug 24, 2004
  8. News

    fjghdhg Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >> When I enter a filename into the search function of
    >> Win 2k (F3), it takes the fraction of a second until
    >> "No file found" appears on the screen. Even if I search for
    >> a known and unhidden file.

    > How is that a problem?

    Read it again. :) It's saying "file not found" for an existing
    file that is not marked as hidden. It should show the file.
    fjghdhg, Aug 25, 2004
  9. News

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:20:33 +1000, in
    <412bcd41$>
    fjghdhg scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>> When I enter a filename into the search function of
    >>> Win 2k (F3), it takes the fraction of a second until
    >>> "No file found" appears on the screen. Even if I search for
    >>> a known and unhidden file.

    >> How is that a problem?

    >Read it again. :) It's saying "file not found" for an existing
    >file that is not marked as hidden. It should show the file.

    This was sorted out over 4 hours ago.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 25, 2004
  10. News

    fjghdhg Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > This was sorted out over 4 hours ago.

    Too bad, I just logged on recently and saw it.
    fjghdhg, Aug 25, 2004
  11. "News" <> wrote in message news:<cgfuqo$l2i$>...
    > Hi there
    >
    > Anyone who has enountered the following problem?
    >
    > When I enter a filename into the search function of
    > Win 2k (F3), it takes the fraction of a second until
    > "No file found" appears on the screen. Even if I search for
    > a known and unhidden file.

    Are you sure you are having it check in the right directory?
    If "Look in:" is set at like "My Documents" - it will ONLY look there.
    If you want to search a harddrive, select it (usually something like C:).
    Search WHOLE computer? I think selecting "My Computer" works?

    dunno. might not be the problem, but worth checking.
    Timothy Timbrook, Aug 25, 2004