    turns out fine. How can I disable this feature? Do I have a future disk
    crash?

    I don't seem to see where I can get it out of startup.

    Bret Kennedy, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Bret Kennedy

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:17:57 -0800, "Bret Kennedy" <> wrote:

    |> every time I do a cold boot, my c: drive gets scanned by scandisk and it all
    |> turns out fine. How can I disable this feature? Do I have a future disk
    |> crash?
    |>
    |> I don't seem to see where I can get it out of startup.

    I suggested ntfaq.com for the info, me thinks your problem was your looking for
    scandisk and not chkdsk.

    Just me, the history channel, and a browser sooo:

    Run the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). You must use Regedt32 and not
    Regedit.exe
    Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    Change the BootExecute value from:
    autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\<drive letter>:
    To: autocheck autochk *

    Before editing the registry, save the key your working on (drop down menu). save
    it as <name>.reg If problems arise due to the change just double click on the
    <name>.reg file and it will reinstall itself. Sad fact though is this will be a
    boot up problem - so be very sure of your system before you shut down.

    Reference:
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/13727/13727.html
    (this is ntfaq.com)
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    M Mullen, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Bret Kennedy

    Bret Kennedy Guest

    Thanks for the help. It is already set that way.

    Any other ideas?

    Bret Kennedy, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Bret Kennedy

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bret Kennedy said:

    > Thanks for the help. It is already set that way.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    2k doesn't have scandisk, but it does have chkdsk.
    Check your options in defrag, and see if you have settings for a boottime
    defrag, where you will have further options which trigger a chkdsk.
    I should point out though, that this part of the program needs to be set
    manually, and should not trigger an autoscan every time you reboot.
    Unless you have specifically installed software to replace the original defrag
    supplied during the installation of your OS, you should not have this/these
    options.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Bret Kennedy

    M Mullen Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:04:05 -0800, "Bret Kennedy" <> wrote:

    |> Thanks for the help. It is already set that way.
    |>
    |> Any other ideas?

    I gotta ask: how are you shutting down your system? The power switch or the
    shutdown/restart command?

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w