    the floppy dirve, but when the windows setup starts and it looks for the raid
    controllers and doesn't senses the USB floppy drive. What would be problem ?
    Please help.

    =?Utf-8?B?TmFuZGh1?=, Sep 18, 2005

  2. I'm not familiar with that particular server, but most machines these days
    have a BIOS setting that allows the use of USB floppy drives before the OS
    takes over and sees them properly. The setting is often something like
    "Legacy USB support".

    Failing that, consider one of two alternatives: getting IBM to actually
    support their hardware, or temporarily plugging in an old 3.5" floppy drive
    the traditional way. (Note that floppy drives are currently selling for
    significantly LESS than $20 CAD so it shouldn't be a huge issue from that
    perspective.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Thanks you Russel. The BIOS setting is done and the external USB floppy drive
    works fine. Initally it copies some drivers from the drive and as soon as the
    Windows setup starts, it becomes disabled. Microsoft says there is some
    problem in sensing the USB drives in Win2003 and there is some updates
    available to fix it. But that can be used only after Windows is up. Again,
    plugging in a traditional floppy drive is not supported by the server.
    External USB is the only way.

    =?Utf-8?B?TmFuZGh1?=, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Then your only solution is a discussion with IBM -- they provided the
    hardware, it is THEIR job to provide drivers that work. However, there
    should be no reason why it needs to read the USB floppy again after it does
    the driver load. Once it goes to the GUI part of the setup, a different
    process is involved. It should have the drivers already on the hard drive at
    that point, along with the Windows installation files. So it could be that
    the drivers are not properly decorated. See my blog on F6 drivers and the
    different stages of the setup routine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64