    Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64

    ??
    Any help will be appreciated

    =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Just use different partitions or drives.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Should i use different computer name at installation or the same ??

    =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=, Dec 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    And make sure you can find 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and be
    prepared to have some of your software not install or not function properly.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Use whatever you want. I don't see how that can affect anything since you
    are only going to be in one OS or the other at any given time.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2005
  6. I am all aware of that. I dont know what should i install first and if i
    should use the same computer name for both instalations

    =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=, Dec 20, 2005
  7. I am all aware of that. I dont know what should i install first and if i

    =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=, Dec 20, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Operating systems should be installed in the order that they were released.
    Coin answered your other question

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2005
  9. Do note, that when installed this way, you will not be able to access the
    network from XP as if you had the Server running. If you boot the server,
    you'll have your network and access to read the XP data on it's HD
    partition - if you boot XP, you'll only have XP and access to read the
    server data on it's HD partition. Dual-Booting is not like running a Virtual
    Machine, where you can have both systems up at once.

    That is why the 'name' question simply does not apply - you can do it if it
    makes sense to you, or you can change names if you want a reminder of which
    system you are actually using at the moment.

    Hope I'm not adding to any confusion.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 20, 2005
  10. Install XP first. I don't know why you would multi-boot a server since it
    is usually an always-on operating system, but if you are just using it for
    testing or education you will be fine. Use whatever names you want for the
    computers. Neither will see the other's computer name since they will not
    be running at the same time. Why are you having trouble understanding this?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2005
  11. It is actually quite common - something you read, or that someone has said,
    sets you off thinking using inapropriate concepts and it takes a radical
    re-consideration to correct. (?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 20, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

    Patrick Guest

    For network issues down the road it will help if
    they are both named the same.

    Patrick, Dec 20, 2005
  13. I agree. There seems to be a misunderstanding of what dual-booting means.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2005
  14. wrong. Or actually, it's OK if you're not in a networked environment. But if
    you are? Different names are required.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2005
  15. If the machine isn't networked to other machines (especially in a Windows
    domain environment), then you can use the same name. But it's a bad idea and
    should be avoided, since if you ever end up running a domain, you're going
    to have problems.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2005
  16. absolutely not. That might work in a "workgroup" environment, but is a
    disaster in a domain environment. Don't do that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2005
  17. Install them in any order -- since they're at the same level, it doesn't
    matter. Just don't give them the same name, please. In the long run, it will
    create problems for you. And if you're in a domain environment, it will not
    work at all to have them have the same name.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

    Patrick Guest

    Beg to differ Charlie.
    My guess, this guy is doing what most of us are doing....testing/playing.
    This is a home network environment or small office with leeway to play.
    "Name them the same" - they will have the same mac address - can be
    statically routed with the "router" and will share using a single name
    instead
    of two.
    Even if not statically assigned - most likely, the router will not change
    the IP
    address as long as NetBIOS and the mac are the same .... less network
    configuring / trouble.
    And have done it both ways testing XP x86 and Server2k3 x86 (duel boot)
    same name is better when swapping OS's on the fly. (
    Granted - not done this with w2k3 as a domain controller)

    Patrick, Dec 21, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

    Patrick Guest

    And Charlie, No disrespect intended. I know you wrote the book.
    I'm reading it now!
    But no one in their right mind would duel boot XP & S2k3
    if S2k3 was the domain controller in a network environment, if it was for
    "real"
    He's playing ...and that's ok. Name them the same.

    Patrick, Dec 21, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    My comment on order the systems were released was because you said Multi
    boot and not dual boot only with the two listed systems. If they are the
    only two you can follow Charlies advice, if you have older Windows systems,
    they should be on the system first, and if you are installing other than
    Windows systems, I defer to others who know the best ways to multi boot with
    Linux etc.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2005