    --
    Life? Don't talk to me about life!

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    Max of Mad Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > Quite suddenly, over the last three days or so, I've been having an odd
    > problem. Occasionally, without rhyme or reason, all the shortcuts on my
    > Desktop (admin account) will stop working.
    >
    > The only thing that may be a catalyst is that it seems to happen most when
    > I click on any jpegs I happen to have on my desktop. Most times, my
    > default viewer, IrfanView, will start up no problems, but sometimes,
    > nothing happens, except that all Desktop shortcuts become inaccessible.
    >
    > Opening Task Manager will not show any applications running, nor
    > does using a third-party process viewer reveal anything untoward, but
    > right clicking on the desktop will bring up the context menu for the file
    > I had tried to open. If I select "Delete" from the context menu, the
    > offending file will be deleted, but the desktop shortcuts remain
    > inaccessible. The only "fix" has been to restart, or at least logoff and
    > back in again. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

    Are you getting any kind of error when you double-click on a shortcut?
    Or if you right-click and select Open?

    Win98? XP?

    -Max of Mad
    --
    Leave a tone after the message
    Max of Mad, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Max Quordlepleen

    Max of Mad Guest

    Max of Mad wrote:

    uhh. nix the win98 or XP question. Had a winzip window hiding the
    message subject.

    silly me

    Max of Mad
    --
    Leave a tone after the message
    Max of Mad, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    °Mike° Guest

    This has happened to me with shortcuts, Max. It turned
    out to be a sticky ALT key. Try cleaning, or changing, your
    keyboard. It's worth a try, at any rate.

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:38:02 +1300, in
    <>
    Max Quordlepleen scrawled:

    >Quite suddenly, over the last three days or so, I've been having an odd
    >problem. Occasionally, without rhyme or reason, all the shortcuts on my
    >Desktop (admin account) will stop working.
    >
    >The only thing that may be a catalyst is that it seems to happen most when
    >I click on any jpegs I happen to have on my desktop. Most times, my
    >default viewer, IrfanView, will start up no problems, but sometimes,
    >nothing happens, except that all Desktop shortcuts become inaccessible.
    >
    >Opening Task Manager will not show any applications running, nor
    >does using a third-party process viewer reveal anything untoward, but
    >right clicking on the desktop will bring up the context menu for the file
    >I had tried to open. If I select "Delete" from the context menu, the
    >offending file will be deleted, but the desktop shortcuts remain
    >inaccessible. The only "fix" has been to restart, or at least logoff and
    >back in again. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 28, 2003
  5. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:23:32 GMT, °Mike° <>
    proffered, in : news::

    > This has happened to me with shortcuts, Max. It turned
    > out to be a sticky ALT key. Try cleaning, or changing, your
    > keyboard. It's worth a try, at any rate.

    Well, I was devastated at thinking that I might have to annihilate an
    entire ecosystem just to restore functionality, but happily, I don't.
    The problem turned out to be a DLL conflict from an app. I'm beta-
    testing, so my experiment in organic evolution can continue undisturbed
    for now.

    --
    "Very good. Very deep. Right now I need aphorisms like I need holes in my heads."
    Max Quordlepleen, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Max Quordlepleen

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:58:18 +1300, in
    <>
    Max Quordlepleen scrawled:

    >On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:23:32 GMT, °Mike° <>
    >proffered, in : news::
    >
    >> This has happened to me with shortcuts, Max. It turned
    >> out to be a sticky ALT key. Try cleaning, or changing, your
    >> keyboard. It's worth a try, at any rate.
    >>

    >Well, I was devastated at thinking that I might have to annihilate an
    >entire ecosystem just to restore functionality, but happily, I don't.
    >The problem turned out to be a DLL conflict from an app. I'm beta-
    >testing, so my experiment in organic evolution can continue undisturbed
    >for now.

    "All's well..." and all that. :)

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD