Win 2000 .dll question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to a
    file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.

    Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that advpack.dll
    assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or some such.

    Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not a
    solution. None that I could find, anyway.

    His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.

    Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was to ask
    if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in the
    affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in place of
    Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.

    I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and see if
    adpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and will get back
    to me.

    In the meanwhile, I was wondering if anybody here using W2K had experienced
    similar, and if so, how they rectified the siuation.

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008

  2. TJ

    TJ Guest

    update Re: Win 2000 .dll question

    TJ wrote:
    > On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to
    > a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
    >
    > Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
    > advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
    > some such.
    > Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not
    > a solution. None that I could find, anyway.
    >
    > His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.
    >
    > Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was
    > to ask if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in
    > the affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in
    > place of Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.
    >
    > I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and see
    > if advpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and will
    > get back to me.

    AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem persists.
    advpack.log continues to grow.

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008

  3. TJ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:41:22 -0500, TJ wrote:

    >On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to a
    >file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
    >
    >Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that advpack.dll
    >assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or some such.
    >
    >Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not a
    >solution. None that I could find, anyway.

    Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
    processes.

    Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
    logfile to see what is writing to the log.

    What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 25, 2008
  4. TJ

    TJ Guest

    why? wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:41:22 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild.
    >> Writes to a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
    >>
    >> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
    >> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
    >> some such.
    >>
    >> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but
    >> not a solution. None that I could find, anyway.

    > Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
    > processes.

    I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he can
    kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

    > Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
    > logfile to see what is writing to the log.

    Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
    advpack.dll

    > What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

    I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE error
    reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't even see a
    reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008
  5. TJ

    Guest

    Re: update Re: Win 2000 .dll question

    "TJ" <> wrote:

    >TJ wrote:
    >> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to
    >> a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
    >>
    >> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
    >> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
    >> some such.
    >> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not
    >> a solution. None that I could find, anyway.
    >>
    >> His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.
    >>
    >> Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was
    >> to ask if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in
    >> the affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in
    >> place of Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.
    >>
    >> I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and see
    >> if advpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and will
    >> get back to me.

    >AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem persists.
    >advpack.log continues to grow.

    Might unregister the dll, reboot, then reregister it. Might also
    delete the log while the dll is unregistered.

    Start | Run <type in>
    regsvr32 -u advpack.dll
    <enter>

    Reboot and back:

    regsvr32 advpack.dll
    --

    Dangerous workplaces and safety rules
    http://tinyurl.com/2fvm6r

    , Feb 25, 2008
  6. TJ

    wrote:
    > "TJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild.
    >>> Writes to a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
    >>>
    >>> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
    >>> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
    >>> some such.
    >>> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but
    >>> not
    >>> a solution. None that I could find, anyway.
    >>>
    >>> His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.
    >>>
    >>> Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was
    >>> to ask if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in
    >>> the affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in
    >>> place of Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.
    >>>
    >>> I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and
    >>> see
    >>> if advpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and
    >>> will get back to me.

    >> AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem
    >> persists. advpack.log continues to grow.
    >>

    > Might unregister the dll, reboot, then reregister it. Might also
    > delete the log while the dll is unregistered.
    >

    > Start | Run <type in>
    > regsvr32 -u advpack.dll
    > <enter>
    >
    > Reboot and back:
    >
    > regsvr32 advpack.dll

    Good a plan as any. I'll call and and instruct. Will report back

    Thanks

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008
  7. TJ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:48:04 -0500, TJ wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:41:22 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild.
    >>> Writes to a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
    >>>
    >>> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
    >>> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
    >>> some such.
    >>>
    >>> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but
    >>> not a solution. None that I could find, anyway.

    >> Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
    >> processes.

    >I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he can

    Leaving for your friend to fix then, you possted you you get the
    suggestions.

    >kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

    It's heavily related to MS IE versions as well.

    >> Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
    >> logfile to see what is writing to the log.

    >Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
    >advpack.dll

    So since several processes can launch advpack.dll it's not an issue
    what's calling it? May also want to use process explorer from same site.

    >> What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

    >I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE error

    SO after you google search that was done or not. It's a suggestion since
    I can't access the PC in question.

    >reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't even see a
    >reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

    No but others have tried turning off IE error reporting.

    Until someone runs filemon / process explorer you won't know much. Even
    autoruns tells you what might be running the dll.

    Me

    why?, Feb 25, 2008
  8. TJ

    TJ wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>> AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem
    >>> persists. advpack.log continues to grow.
    >>>

    >> Might unregister the dll, reboot, then reregister it. Might also
    >> delete the log while the dll is unregistered.
    >>

    >> Start | Run <type in>
    >> regsvr32 -u advpack.dll
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> Reboot and back:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 advpack.dll

    > Good a plan as any. I'll call and and instruct. Will report back
    >
    > Thanks

    As per your instructions W2K says;

    "advpack.dll was loaded but the .dll unregister entry point was not found.
    ..dll unregister may not be exported, or a corrupt version of adpack.dll may
    be in memory. Consider using pview to detect and remove."

    I have no idea what Pview is, and the above may nor be verbatim as I'm not
    sitting in front of the machine.

    Any idea where he should go from here?

    And thanks again for your trouble.

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008
  9. TJ

    TJ Guest

    why? wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:48:04 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
    >>> processes.

    >> I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he
    >> can

    > Leaving for your friend to fix then, you possted you you get the
    > suggestions.

    Understood.

    >> kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

    > It's heavily related to MS IE versions as well.

    If you say so. I can't find anything via Google (or any other search
    engine) that relates the problem to IE specifically. Not saying you're
    wrong. Just that I can't find anything to support your assertion.

    >>> Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
    >>> logfile to see what is writing to the log.

    >> Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
    >> advpack.dll

    > So since several processes can launch advpack.dll it's not an issue
    > what's calling it? May also want to use process explorer from same
    > site.

    That'll be the next step, I guess.

    >>> What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

    >> I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE
    >> error

    > SO after you google search that was done or not. It's a suggestion
    > since I can't access the PC in question.

    Nor can I. :)

    >> reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't
    >> even see a reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

    > No but others have tried turning off IE error reporting.

    Would have been nice if you had just said you were taking a shot in the dark
    in the first place, instead of pointing to me a link that had no reference
    to the .dll in question. :)

    > Until someone runs filemon / process explorer you won't know much.
    > Even autoruns tells you what might be running the dll.

    Like I said. That will be the next step.

    Thank you for your time.

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008
  10. TJ

    old man Guest

    The friend might try a repair / reinstallation of IE

    old man, Feb 25, 2008
  11. TJ

    "TJ" <> wrote:

    >As per your instructions W2K says;
    >
    >"advpack.dll was loaded but the .dll unregister entry point was not found.
    >.dll unregister may not be exported, or a corrupt version of adpack.dll may
    >be in memory. Consider using pview to detect and remove."
    >
    >I have no idea what Pview is, and the above may nor be verbatim as I'm not
    >sitting in front of the machine.

    Pview is a resource kit file called process explode and I don't see
    where that would be of use.

    >Any idea where he should go from here?

    Just one more, reinstall the latest W2K service pack and have it
    replace advpack.dll (if it's corrupt it will).
    --

    Dangerous workplaces and safety rules
    http://tinyurl.com/2fvm6r

    , Feb 25, 2008
  12. TJ

    elaich Guest

    Re: update Re: Win 2000 .dll question

    "TJ" <> wrote in

    > AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem persists.
    > advpack.log continues to grow.

    My W2K has advpack.dll, but no advpack.log. I would say something has
    rewritten the .dll, maybe AdAware? Of course, you scanned for malware,
    right?

    elaich, Feb 25, 2008
  13. TJ

    elaich wrote:

    > "TJ" <> wrote in
    >
    >> AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem
    >> persists. advpack.log continues to grow.

    > My W2K has advpack.dll, but no advpack.log. I would say something has
    > rewritten the .dll, maybe AdAware? Of course, you scanned for malware,
    > right?

    He did, yes.

    And he did so before deleting AdAware, and with his existing (fully updated)
    versions of Spybot S&D as well as a fresh (also fully updated) version of
    Super Anti-Spyware - free.

    Online scan at Trend-Micro finds nothing amiss, nor does his previously
    installed (also fully updated) version of Avast!

    This is strange.

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008
  14. TJ

    wrote:

    > "TJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> As per your instructions W2K says;
    >>
    >> "advpack.dll was loaded but the .dll unregister entry point was not
    >> found. .dll unregister may not be exported, or a corrupt version of
    >> adpack.dll may be in memory. Consider using pview to detect and
    >> remove."
    >>
    >> I have no idea what Pview is, and the above may nor be verbatim as
    >> I'm not sitting in front of the machine.

    > Pview is a resource kit file called process explode and I don't see
    > where that would be of use.
    >
    >> Any idea where he should go from here?

    > Just one more, reinstall the latest W2K service pack and have it
    > replace advpack.dll (if it's corrupt it will).

    I'll relay that info.

    Thanks again

    TJ, Feb 25, 2008
  15. TJ

    elaich Guest

    > This is strange.

    I would simply download the .dll and replace it. It is available here:

    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?advpack

    Then delete the advpack.log file, and hope that the registry hasn't been
    corrupted somehow. It must have been some kind of malware. From what I've
    seen, the lateset version of AdAware may fit that description.

    Does he have System Restore? Restoring to an earlier point could fix the
    problem.

    elaich, Feb 26, 2008
  16. TJ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:50:34 -0500, TJ wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE
    >>> error

    >> SO after you google search that was done or not. It's a suggestion
    >> since I can't access the PC in question.

    >Nor can I. :)
    >>
    >>> reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't
    >>> even see a reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

    >> No but others have tried turning off IE error reporting.

    >Would have been nice if you had just said you were taking a shot in the dark

    Search was widened to related hits for the log file, relating to IE
    error logging.

    >in the first place, instead of pointing to me a link that had no reference
    >to the .dll in question. :)

    Had to look for other causes which may lead to better / other hits /
    keywords.

    The cause isn't exactly known, so still suggestions.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 255 for
    advpack.log internet explorer
    .. (0.46 seconds)

    <snip>

    >Thank you for your time.

    You may want to try killbox.exe to delete the file on a reboot then use
    http://killbox.net/
    the process monitor/tools.

    Pennywise also mentioned a file killer, don't hold your breath while I
    look for it :)

    YW.

    Me

    why?, Feb 26, 2008
  17. TJ

    elaich wrote:

    > "TJ" <> wrote in
    >
    >> This is strange.

    > I would simply download the .dll and replace it. It is available here:
    >
    > http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?advpack

    Thanks. We tried that. No luck. The problem doesn't seem to be with the
    ..dll itself. Something, somewhere on the machine is calling it.
    CONSTANTLY. And until he can figure out how to use the program "Why?"
    suggested to detemine what the culprit is, he's simply deleting the log file
    every day.

    > Then delete the advpack.log file, and hope that the registry hasn't
    > been corrupted somehow. It must have been some kind of malware. From
    > what I've seen, the lateset version of AdAware may fit that
    > description.
    >
    > Does he have System Restore? Restoring to an earlier point could fix
    > the problem.

    No System Restore in any flavor of Win 2000 that I'm aware of. And
    certainly not one on my friend's machine.

    Thanks

    TJ, Feb 26, 2008
  18. TJ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:50:34 -0500, TJ wrote:

    Can't find the thread, wasn't very long ago.

    Other file delete options, may help. Don't see any harm wiping the file
    at each boot.

    Plato -
    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    GENERAL FILE UTILITIES
    Stubborn File Deleters

    seymour -
    i use unlocker
    it unlocks any file to allow deletion or movement

    its a freeware utility and you can get it here
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    why?, Feb 26, 2008
  19. TJ

    "TJ" <> wrote:

    >Thanks. We tried that. No luck. The problem doesn't seem to be with the
    >.dll itself. Something, somewhere on the machine is calling it.
    >CONSTANTLY. And until he can figure out how to use the program "Why?"
    >suggested to detemine what the culprit is, he's simply deleting the log file
    >every day.

    Process Monitor
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx will
    show what's going on, Filemon was mentioned, this is much better.

    set the filters to only track programs that use advpack.dll

    Process Explorer same site will let you search for any dll's loaded,
    and the programs using them.
    --

    What do you see?
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=16265

    , Feb 26, 2008
  20. TJ

    wrote:

    > "TJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. We tried that. No luck. The problem doesn't seem to be
    >> with the .dll itself. Something, somewhere on the machine is
    >> calling it. CONSTANTLY. And until he can figure out how to use the
    >> program "Why?" suggested to detemine what the culprit is, he's
    >> simply deleting the log file every day.

    > Process Monitor
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx will
    > show what's going on, Filemon was mentioned, this is much better.
    >
    > set the filters to only track programs that use advpack.dll
    >

    > Process Explorer same site will let you search for any dll's loaded,
    > and the programs using them.

    Forwarded this to him via email. Will let you know how it works out if/when
    he gets back to me about it.

    Thanks again.

    TJ, Feb 26, 2008