    bitch about the change on boot up?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Mar 26, 2005

  2. JTJersey

    JANA Guest

    I've had most computers where I had to re-register XP, after doing a CPU
    upgrade. If it is a lagitimate copy, there is no problem. You just do the
    update of the registartion and that's it.

    If you are making a number of hardware changes in a computer with XP at the
    same time, it may need an update of its registration. I think you can do
    something like six changes without problems. The CPU is a very critical one.
    This is a sort of guess...

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 27, 2005

  3. JTJersey

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > I've had most computers where I had to re-register XP, after doing a CPU
    > upgrade. If it is a lagitimate copy, there is no problem. You just do the
    > update of the registartion and that's it.
    >
    > If you are making a number of hardware changes in a computer with XP at the
    > same time, it may need an update of its registration. I think you can do
    > something like six changes without problems. The CPU is a very critical one.
    > This is a sort of guess...

    No Jana, you have never had to re-register XP. It is not compulsory.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 27, 2005
  4. JTJersey

    bmoag Guest

    You will have to re-activate your copy. If you have only done this once
    nothing will happen. If you have done this more than once you will have to
    call Microsoft's service center in India (this is Bill Gates' way of paying
    America back for the opportunity it gave him) and they will give you a new
    activitation number. If you upgrade frequently you get used to the routine
    which is intended to intimidate you into buying another copy of WinXP.

    Changing your CPU may not give you the big boost in performance you think
    you will get if your memory is too slow to take advantage of bus boost the
    new cpu will give . . .
    bmoag, Mar 27, 2005
  5. JTJersey

    Kawosa Guest

    JTJersey <> wrote in

    > I'm planning on maxing out the CPU on my SOYO board from a Celeron 2.6 to
    > a Pentium 4 3.06. With all else staying the same, is Windows XP going to
    > bitch about the change on boot up?

    I just did this and the XP system did cough and spit but came through okay.
    The problem is Hyperthreading. If you want to take full advantage of this,
    you'll have to try a "Repair" install or a new install.
    Kawosa, Mar 28, 2005