    will I be able to run all or most of the programs out there today?

    Thank you in advance.

    annie

    NJ_Annie, Apr 5, 2010

  2. NJ_Annie

    John Holmes Guest

    NJ_Annie "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Thinking of getting a new desktop. I most comfortable with Win XP but
    > I see very few of these machines available, at least "new" ones.
    >
    > If I get a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium as the operating system
    > will I be able to run all or most of the programs out there today?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > annie

    You will be able to run *most* of them, not *all*.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 5, 2010

  3. NJ_Annie

    Mike Easter Guest

    NJ_Annie wrote:
    > Thinking of getting a new desktop. I most comfortable with Win XP but
    > I see very few of these machines available, at least "new" ones.
    >
    > If I get a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium as the operating system
    > will I be able to run all or most of the programs out there today?

    'All or most of the programs out there today' is a pretty vague concept.

    It would be easier to say that there are a lot of programs written for
    XP that won't run on Win7.

    It would also be easy to say that Win7 Home Premium doesn't have an 'XP
    mode' which some other Win7/s have.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 5, 2010
  4. NJ_Annie

    chuckcar Guest

    NJ_Annie <> wrote in

    > Thinking of getting a new desktop. I most comfortable with Win XP but
    > I see very few of these machines available, at least "new" ones.

    You don't need a new "copy" of XP when you change computers. Assuming
    you're buying a non-namebrand computer and you already have the retail
    MS XP cd, you just use it on your new computer. Then you just have to
    find drivers for anything that has a problem in device manager.
    http://driversguide.com is the easiest way to do that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 5, 2010
  5. NJ_Annie

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:52:06 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You don't need a new "copy" of XP when you change computers. Assuming
    >>you're buying a non-namebrand computer and you already have the retail
    >>MS XP cd,

    > "Assuming"..
    >
    > So if the OP has a OEM Dell CD, they won't be able to install the XP
    > on their new HP machine.

    No they won't. Because there would be no drivers at all for XP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 5, 2010
  6. On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:54:43 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:42:59 -0700 (PDT), NJ_Annie
    ><>wrote:
    >
    >>Thinking of getting a new desktop. I most comfortable with Win XP but
    >>I see very few of these machines available, at least "new" ones.
    >>
    >>If I get a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium as the operating system
    >>will I be able to run all or most of the programs out there today?
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance.
    >>
    >>annie

    >Yes it will run most programs with the Windows 7 logo and even some
    >that don't have the logo.

    Everything I have run on XP also runs on Windows 7. Nothing that I
    have used have Windows 7 logo but they run with no problems.

    Steve

    Neural network applications, help and support.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Apr 5, 2010