    would have been eliminated with SP1.

    Thanks in advance,

    Pete
    Peter de B. Harrington, Aug 15, 2008

  2. On Aug 15, 12:19 pm, "Peter de B. Harrington"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am building a system for numerical computation.  I am using a ECS P45T-A
    > LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ 16
    > GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit.  I would like to know in advance will Vista Ultimate
    > SP1 be installable on this system?
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that prevents
    > it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of RAM.  The
    > work around is to remove all but 2 GBs and then install, but clearly in this
    > case that will not be possible.  I also would like to imagine that this bug
    > would have been eliminated with SP1.

    I don't think so. I've seen tons of posts here telling folks to cut
    to 2gigs until the installation is done.
    Paul Montgomery, Aug 15, 2008

  3. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 .
    The hotfix is included in SP1.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 15, 2008
  4. Peter de B. Harrington

    Mick Murphy Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

    It is recommended minimum 20G HD, with 15 free for install.
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    Mick Murphy, Aug 15, 2008
  5. Peter de B. Harrington

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    I don't think there was an issue with hard drive space at all.

    He was talking about RAM.

    Bill Yanaire, Aug 15, 2008
  6. This has "what" to do with the fact that the O/P has 4-4 gig sticks of OCZ
    **RAM** installed
    (OCZ 16 GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit) and is questioning whether, or not, he has to
    remove some of his RAM to install Vista???

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Aug 15, 2008
  7. On Aug 15, 1:04 pm, "Dominic Payer" <> wrote:

    > Seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777.
    > The hotfix is included in SP1.

    Prerequisites
    To apply this update, you must have Windows Vista installed on a
    computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM.

    It's gonna be hard to apply the hotfix before Vista is installed.
    Paul Montgomery, Aug 15, 2008
  8. Peter de B. Harrington

    Ian D Guest

    > Hi:
    >
    > I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS P45T-A
    > LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ 16
    > GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will Vista Ultimate
    > SP1 be installable on this system?
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
    > prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
    > RAM. The work around is to remove all but 2 GBs and then install, but
    > clearly in this case that will not be possible. I also would like to
    > imagine that this bug would have been eliminated with SP1.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Pete

    It doesn't happen with all systems. I've installed 64 bit Ultimate twice on
    my system with an Asus P5B Dlx motherboard, with four 1GB OCZ 800MHz
    DDR2 DIMMs onboard, without problems. Remember to enable the BIOS
    Memory Remap feature for the 64 bit OS.

    According to MS, this problem is fixed with Vista SP1, so you should be
    okay since your Vista is a new SP1 integrated version.
    Ian D, Aug 16, 2008
  9. Peter de B. Harrington

    Carlos Guest

    Ian,
    I do agree with you that it also depends on the hardware.
    I had the opportunity of installing Vista x64 SP1 on two PC's with the same
    motherboard and 4 gigs of RAM.
    The first system would not install with 4 gigs of RAM.
    Installation had to be performed with 2 gigs, adding the remaining 2 gigs
    once the instalation was done.
    On the second system (same brand & model mobo) installation with 4 gigs
    presented no problems.
    What was the difference? The second mobo had its bios updated to the latest
    revision.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 16, 2008
  10. Peter de B. Harrington

    Canuck57 Guest

    > Hi:
    >
    > I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS P45T-A
    > LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ 16
    > GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will Vista Ultimate
    > SP1 be installable on this system?
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
    > prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
    > RAM. The work around is to remove all but 2 GBs and then install, but
    > clearly in this case that will not be possible. I also would like to
    > imagine that this bug would have been eliminated with SP1.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Pete

    Bet it would run faster in Linux.

    OCZ RAM in mine, 8GB, works great.
    Canuck57, Aug 16, 2008
  11. Peter de B. Harrington

    N Brown Guest

    I just bought Vista Ultimate 64 Sp1, installed to 4 gigs of ram no problem,
    Asus p5k mobo.

    N Brown, Aug 16, 2008
  12. Peter de B. Harrington

    N Brown Guest

    Yea nut how long would it take me to get an Audio \Video masterpiece setup,
    playing and editing on Linux? Oh
    and run Crysis MOHA, Qauke 4, Turok 2008, Etc.

    N Brown, Aug 16, 2008
  13. I have installed both both pre sp1 and post sp1 vista business 64 on my
    machine with 8gb of ram installed without problems. So it is not always a
    problem to install with more ram in the system. Motherboard is a Gigabyte
    P35-DS4 is that helps.

    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Aug 16, 2008
  14. Peter de B. Harrington

    Hobbes Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:31:28 -0500, N Brown wrote:

    > Yea nut how long would it take me to get an Audio \Video masterpiece
    > setup, playing and editing on Linux? Oh
    > and run Crysis MOHA, Qauke 4, Turok 2008, Etc.

    Ubuntu has a Yahtzee like game called Tali.

    Good thing I have an SLI set-up

    --
    Hobbes, Tiger Extraordinaire
    Hobbes, Aug 16, 2008
  15. Peter de B. Harrington

    Mick Murphy Guest

    Hi Bill. I was in a hurry and misread the Header.
    Not too many people post here about 16G of RAM!
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    Mick Murphy, Aug 16, 2008
  16. Peter de B. Harrington

    Tom Lake Guest

    > I am building a system for numerical computation. I am using a ECS P45T-A
    > LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard with 4 memory slots and the OCZ 16
    > GB DDR2 800 Quad Kit. I would like to know in advance will Vista Ultimate
    > SP1 be installable on this system?
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
    > prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
    > RAM.

    They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
    no problem.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Aug 16, 2008
  17. On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:53:45 -0400, "Tom Lake"
    <> wrote:

    >> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
    >> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
    >> RAM.

    >They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
    >no problem.

    Still, there are others who have had problems.
    Paul Montgomery, Aug 16, 2008
  18. Peter de B. Harrington

    Curious Guest

    The problems however all appear to be MOBO or memory related and not Vista
    related.
    1. The BIOS may not be up to date,
    2. Some MOBOs will support no more than 8GB.
    3. Memory from different manufacturers have different rated speeds and
    require different amount of current to run properly.
    a. Some dims draw too much current and fail unless the MOBO memory
    voltage is increased if 4 dims are installed.
    b. Some MOBOS can not support all installed dims running at rated
    speed and the speed has to be reduced
    For this reason it often recommended when installing Vista 64 bit that only
    2GB be installed until the OS is running smoothly before the amount of
    memory in the system is increased.

    Curious, Aug 16, 2008
  19. Peter de B. Harrington

    Pistol Pete Guest

    Re: Thanks for your replies, they really helpful

    Thanks all for you replies, they were helpful so I will proceed as planned.

    For what its worth, I did consider running Ubantu Linux, but ultimately we
    would need to connect remotely to this box (no display, keyboard, or mouse).
    All our clients are XP machines at the moment. The problem with Linux is
    the connectivity issues between Windows and Linux. I am unaware of any free
    X-term emulators and concerned that they will not be so robust. I have used
    PC-Xware in the past and found many bugs and problems.

    If you have Linux advice, you may email me directly.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

    Pistol Pete, Aug 16, 2008
  20. Peter de B. Harrington

    Tom Lake Guest

    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:53:45 -0400, "Tom Lake"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> The reason I asked is that I read reports that Vista has a bug that
    >>> prevents it from installing on systems populated with more than 2 GBs of
    >>> RAM.

    >>They're wrong. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on many 8 GB systems with
    >>no problem.

    > Still, there are others who have had problems.

    Yes there are but the people who say Vista CAN'T be installed on systems
    with more than 2 GB are clearly wrong if it can be installed on even one system
    with more than 2 GB. When an absolute statement is made, it only takes one
    counter-example to prove the statement false.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Aug 18, 2008