    play at loading XPPro on to that, if I can locate the necessary
    drivers.

    Cheers all.... D.

    Diogenes, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Diogenes

    EMB Guest

    Diogenes wrote:
    > Hi folks!
    > I've Vista Business on my DSE-sources F3Ke. If I remove the HDD and
    > place it in an external usb enclosure, will I still be able to
    > optionally boot from it, assuming my bios allows it?

    I *think* it's going to fail - IIRC you can only boot off a FAT32
    partition.

    That aside it should work - we boot off FAT32 formatted external HDDs
    all the time when rescuing data off systems with broken Windows installs.

    EMB, Jul 25, 2008

  3. In article
    <>,
    Diogenes did write:

    > I've Vista Business on my DSE-sources F3Ke. If I remove the HDD and
    > place it in an external usb enclosure, will I still be able to
    > optionally boot from it, assuming my bios allows it?

    I don't think Dimdows takes kindly to unexpected changes in its hardware
    configuration like this.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Diogenes

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Diogenes did write:
    >
    >> I've Vista Business on my DSE-sources F3Ke. If I remove the HDD and
    >> place it in an external usb enclosure, will I still be able to
    >> optionally boot from it, assuming my bios allows it?

    > I don't think Dimdows takes kindly to unexpected changes in its hardware
    > configuration like this.

    I'm not sure about Vista having not tried to make unexpected changes to its
    hardware, but XP was fairly forgiving. I've restored a backup of an XP
    system into a virtual machine, and then later transferred it from a backup
    of the VMWare machine onto a different physical machine. I didn't bother
    using sysprep either, but supposedly it assists in the process.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 25, 2008
  5. In article <g6ch1a$fga$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> Diogenes did write:
    >>
    >>> If I remove the HDD and place it in an external usb enclosure, will I
    >>> still be able to optionally boot from it, assuming my bios allows it?

    >> I don't think Dimdows takes kindly to unexpected changes in its hardware
    >> configuration like this.

    > ... XP was fairly forgiving. I've restored a backup of an XP
    > system into a virtual machine, and then later transferred it from a backup
    > of the VMWare machine onto a different physical machine.

    I think you're mostly OK (apart from the need to reactivate) as long as the
    drive letter doesn't change. If it does, you have to reinstall.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2008
  6. Diogenes

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Diogenes wrote:
    >> Hi folks!
    >> I've Vista Business on my DSE-sources F3Ke. If I remove the HDD and
    >> place it in an external usb enclosure, will I still be able to
    >> optionally boot from it, assuming my bios allows it?

    > I *think* it's going to fail - IIRC you can only boot off a FAT32
    > partition.
    >
    > That aside it should work - we boot off FAT32 formatted external HDDs
    > all the time when rescuing data off systems with broken Windows installs.

    Is that in a corporate environment? We have a folder on the C: which
    gets backed up when a machine is booted on the network. We guarantee
    that anything in there is *likely* to be recoverable if it has been
    there for a few days. Anything else is regarded as not recoverable. It
    means that rescue situations are rare.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 26, 2008
  7. In article <488989a4$>, EMB did write:

    > ... we boot off FAT32 formatted external HDDs
    > all the time when rescuing data off systems with broken Windows installs.

    Thought of using a live CD or USB key? Easier to carry around.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2008
  8. Diogenes

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Is that in a corporate environment? We have a folder on the C: which
    > gets backed up when a machine is booted on the network. We guarantee
    > that anything in there is *likely* to be recoverable if it has been
    > there for a few days. Anything else is regarded as not recoverable. It
    > means that rescue situations are rare.

    For our networked users we promise nothing for local folders, but we
    redirect 'My Documents' to the server and also map a user drive onto the
    server.

    My original comment related to the machines we have on dialup
    connections that supposedly only read email, but as is the way of lusers
    often end up with irreplaceable files stored on them.

    EMB, Jul 26, 2008
  9. Diogenes

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <488989a4$>, EMB did write:
    >
    >> ... we boot off FAT32 formatted external HDDs
    >> all the time when rescuing data off systems with broken Windows installs.

    > Thought of using a live CD or USB key? Easier to carry around.

    A USB key lives on my keyring and has a boot image that happily lets me
    do most of what I need to. The external HDD lives bolted to the desk in
    our workshop - the USB keys we used to keep there would always go missing.

    EMB, Jul 26, 2008
  10. In article <>, EMB did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <488989a4$>, EMB did write:
    >>
    >>> ... we boot off FAT32 formatted external HDDs
    >>> all the time when rescuing data off systems with broken Windows
    >>> installs.

    >> Thought of using a live CD or USB key? Easier to carry around.

    > A USB key lives on my keyring and has a boot image that happily lets me
    > do most of what I need to. The external HDD lives bolted to the desk in
    > our workshop - the USB keys we used to keep there would always go missing.

    Is there much on the external hard drive that won't fit on the USB key? Or
    are you doing more with it than just data recovery?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 27, 2008
  11. Diogenes

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Thought of using a live CD or USB key? Easier to carry around.

    >> A USB key lives on my keyring and has a boot image that happily lets me
    >> do most of what I need to. The external HDD lives bolted to the desk in
    >> our workshop - the USB keys we used to keep there would always go missing.

    > Is there much on the external hard drive that won't fit on the USB key? Or
    > are you doing more with it than just data recovery?

    Not much really, but light fingered interlopers find it harder to unbolt
    the HDD and stick it in their pocket than to just cut the string on the
    USB key and scarper.

    EMB, Jul 27, 2008
  12. Diogenes

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-07-27, EMB <> wrote:
    >>> A USB key lives on my keyring and has a boot image that happily lets me
    >>> do most of what I need to. The external HDD lives bolted to the desk in
    >>> our workshop - the USB keys we used to keep there would always go missing.

    >> Is there much on the external hard drive that won't fit on the USB key? Or
    >> are you doing more with it than just data recovery?

    > Not much really, but light fingered interlopers find it harder to unbolt
    > the HDD and stick it in their pocket than to just cut the string on the
    > USB key and scarper.

    you could've bolted a usb key to the desk and used a cable for
    connecting it to pcs.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jul 28, 2008