    TIA!

    --

    Kishin

    Kishin, Dec 20, 2008

  2. "Kishin" <> wrote in message
    news:8783l.10944$...
    > Sorry, but I'm not real clear on this point. There's a UK Region 0 DVD
    > that I'd love to buy.
    >
    > TIA!

    nope!
    it will be PAL - so you'll need a player that converts PAL to NTSC.
    either that or watch it on your pc.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....

    The dog from that film you saw, Dec 20, 2008

  3. Kishin

    Andrew Guest

    Kimba W Lion wrote:
    > It depends on how the DVD is made. There's a really popular one that I know of
    > that's NTSC even though it's made in the UK. Plus, a _lot_ of DVD players
    > would have no problem converting PAL to NTSC if necessary--with a DVD the only
    > conversion that needs to be done is the frame rate.

    Most DVD players sold in the U.S cannot convert PAL to NTSC. Not sure
    I'd say it's even a lot of DVD players that can do it either. This site,
    www.nerd-out.com, used to be an excellent source of DVD players that can
    be hacked, but it hasn't been updated in years and it looks like the
    forums are no longer available.

    Over the years I've used APEX, CYBERHOME and now I own an OPPO that I'm
    very happy with.

    http://www.oppodigital.com/

    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Kishin

    Netmask Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> "Kishin" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry, but I'm not real clear on this point. There's a UK Region 0 DVD
    >>> that I'd love to buy.

    > Kimba W Lion wrote:
    >> It depends on how the DVD is made. There's a really popular one that I
    >> know of
    >> that's NTSC even though it's made in the UK. Plus, a _lot_ of DVD players
    >> would have no problem converting PAL to NTSC if necessary--with a DVD the
    >> only
    >> conversion that needs to be done is the frame rate.

    > Most DVD players sold in the U.S cannot convert PAL to NTSC. Not sure I'd
    > say it's even a lot of DVD players that can do it either. This site,
    > www.nerd-out.com, used to be an excellent source of DVD players that can
    > be hacked, but it hasn't been updated in years and it looks like the
    > forums are no longer available.
    >
    > Over the years I've used APEX, CYBERHOME and now I own an OPPO that I'm
    > very happy with.
    >
    > http://www.oppodigital.com/
    >
    > Andrew

    The reverse seems to be the experience in Australia, a PAL country, where
    most home DVD/TV systems have no problems playing NTSC or PAL. I'm guessing
    the same would apply in the UK. And region coding is both legal and illegal
    in Australia! The copyright law supports it but the Trades Practise
    Commission doesn't so you can ask most retailer to provide the unlocking
    code. I bought a Samsung VHS/DVD player for a friend the other day and after
    I paid for it the salesperson gave me the receipt and a nicely printed form
    on how to unlock it.

    Netmask, Dec 21, 2008
  5. Kishin

    Kishin Guest

    "Kimba W Lion" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew <> wrote:
    >
    >>Most DVD players sold in the U.S cannot convert PAL to NTSC.

    > When you consider that most of the DVD players sold would be the cheap
    > Chinese
    > ones featuring one-firmware-for-all-markets, I'd say most _can_ convert.
    > Region lockout/hacking is a separate issue, and not applicable here since
    > the
    > question was about a Region 0 disc.
    >
    >>Not sure I'd say it's even a lot of DVD players that can do it either.
    >>This site,
    >>www.nerd-out.com, used to be an excellent source of DVD players that can
    >>be hacked, but it hasn't been updated in years and it looks like the
    >>forums are no longer available.

    > Try www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.
    >
    > And I just tried a Region 0 PAL disc in an un-hacked Samsung player, which
    > converted the video to the NTSC frame rate without a problem.
    > --
    > Who is Obama's Favorite Citizen? You could be...
    > http://tinyurl.com/ObamasFav

    I got in touch with the seller, and he said the disc is NTSC. I'm not sure
    why a UK DVD would be NTSC, but I'll take it as a good thing.

    Thanks a bunch to all who answered.

    --

    Kishin

    Kishin, Dec 22, 2008