will two APs talk to each other?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Eric, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    hello all,

    I am implementing a software, which will grab data from an AP and forward
    all packets to another PC. It looks like:

    Access Point---->A----->B

    The connection relis on WiFi. The serious problem is, the WiFi adapter on A
    works in infrastructure mode when talking to Access Point, and it changes to
    Ad-hoc mode when talking to B. As far as I know, there is no way to change
    mode so frequently and does not lose any packets.

    I came across an idea when I searching online. It seems possible to config
    (maybe through some coding) A to be an access point. Thus A can talk to B in
    infrastrure mode. but,..... can A talk to the real Access Point?

    Thanks,,
    Eric

    Eric, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Yes, read the user manual and it will give you the method for that particular
    brand / model / type.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Eric

    Pavel A. Guest

    Hi,
    If you want two APs to talk to each another you need a different kind of
    product : a wireless bridge (see for example DLink).
    Changing mode from infrastructure to adhoc for each packet with stock adapters/drivers is impossible.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 16, 2004
  4. Eric

    Eric Yun Guest

    Hi Pavel,

    I found some routers can work under "repeater" mode--it connects one AP and
    one PC. So I though it is possible to write an appliction and it will work
    in repeater mode, although it may be very difficult. But you mentioned it is
    impossible, could you explain your opinion a little bit?

    Thanks,

    Eric

    Eric Yun, Aug 17, 2004