    What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
    GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
    Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?
    Bodger, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Bodger

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Bodger"
    <> wrote:

    > I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
    >internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
    >web page to practice web design on.
    > Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
    >larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
    >restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
    > I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
    >gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
    >requirements.
    > After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
    >available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
    >the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
    >teapot.!
    > What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
    >GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
    >Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

    Depends on how China is blocked, but chances are they still won't be
    able to access the site.
    Evan Platt, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Bodger"
    ><> wrote:

    >> I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
    >>internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
    >>web page to practice web design on.
    >> Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
    >>larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
    >>restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
    >> I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
    >>gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
    >>requirements.
    >> After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
    >>available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
    >>the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
    >>teapot.!
    >> What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
    >>GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
    >>Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

    > Depends on how China is blocked, but chances are they still won't be
    > able to access the site.

    I think they tend to block any countries where the dominant culture has
    evolved to the level of anything after...oh, perhaps 1974.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Bodger

    Bodger Guest

    > Depends on how China is blocked, but chances are they still won't be
    > able to access the site.

    Just to correct one misnomer - China isnt blocked - they are doing the
    netblocking to my web host.
    Bodger, Mar 18, 2005
  5. Bodger wrote:
    > I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
    > internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
    > web page to practice web design on.
    > Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
    > larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
    > restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
    > I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
    > gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
    > requirements.
    > After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
    > available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
    > the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
    > teapot.!
    > What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
    > GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
    > Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

    Set up a colo in China. Or Taiwan might work.

    --
    http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    way!
    Tom - www.tditcorp.com, Mar 18, 2005
  6. Bodger

    Guest Guest

    Are you with Powweb? THe deal you describe sounds like them.

    If your with powweb this forum article maybe of intrest:
    http://forums.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=43663&highlight=china

    ~DaN

    Guest, Mar 19, 2005
  7. Bodger

    Guest, Mar 19, 2005
  8. Bodger

    TJ Guest

    <DaN> wrote:

    Something twice.

    --
    It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.
    Leslie Gore
    TJ, Mar 19, 2005
  9. Bodger wrote:
    > I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via
    > the internet and my general computer skills.

    > After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
    > available in China - where most of my potential customers are from.

    > ....What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk
    > address in GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US
    > site, would the Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

    Without getting into the whole questionable practices of what your "job
    offering" is, in answer to your question - It depends on WHY China can;t
    view it.

    Could it be because the government there is filtering content like
    crazy, in which case you're spinning your wheels.

    Hmm! Spinning Wheel! Now THERE'S a song I haven't heard in a long time!
    Time to pull out the albums!

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Mar 20, 2005
  10. Bodger

    Bodger Guest

    Thank you,
    Many thanks for those of you that submitted your thoughts on this subject -
    it seems like your right - when the Chinese say your blocked - they mean it
    and up goes the Great Firewall of China!

    I even thought of being hosted in China but even then there is no guarentee
    that they still will not block me!. Oh well back to the drawing board.

    yours

    Bodger

    www.bodgers-lair.com
    Bodger, Mar 21, 2005