    XP to that & tell the computer to boot from this in BIOS?

    If I do this will my old apps run if I start them or do they all have to be
    reloaded under XP to run if I've booted with XP (I assume so)?

    Karl Engel, Aug 15, 2005

  2. Karl Engel

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Karl Engel" <> wrote in message
    news:42fffe4e$0$4554$...
    > There are some apps I want to try on my stable Win98SE computer that
    > require
    > XP. Rather than do a complete upgrade, can I create a new partition, load
    > XP to that & tell the computer to boot from this in BIOS?
    >
    > If I do this will my old apps run if I start them or do they all have to
    > be
    > reloaded under XP to run if I've booted with XP (I assume so)?

    The term for this is "dual boot". Yes, you can do it. No, you don't change
    anything in BIOS. You install XP in it's own partition, and when the
    computer starts (every time) you get a menu allowing you to choose which OS
    to use.

    WARNING: do NOT use Microsofts tools to attempt to partition a drive on
    which you intend to keep the existing information. MS fdisk will kill
    everything on your drive. You need a 3rd party partitioning utility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Karl Engel

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Karl Engel wrote:
    > There are some apps I want to try on my stable Win98SE computer that require
    > XP. Rather than do a complete upgrade, can I create a new partition, load
    > XP to that & tell the computer to boot from this in BIOS?
    >
    > If I do this will my old apps run if I start them or do they all have to be
    > reloaded under XP to run if I've booted with XP (I assume so)?

    Several years ago, I'd say to go with the "dual boot"
    between Windows 98SE and Windows NT/2000/XP. But with the
    price of computers today and the fact that Windows 2000
    and Windows XP are more stable than Windows 98SE and the
    amount of work to get the dual boot functioning, including
    re-installing and re-registering all prior applications and
    the chance more modern Windows XP driver files that might
    install into the same Drive C default locations as the Win98SE
    files and with probably the same file names, it is better to
    have a separate machine. The Windows 98SE unit will obsolete
    itself very shortly, in any event.

    Mistoffolees, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Karl Engel

    Guest

    "Karl Engel" <> wrote:

    |>There are some apps I want to try on my stable Win98SE computer that require
    |>XP. Rather than do a complete upgrade, can I create a new partition, load
    |>XP to that & tell the computer to boot from this in BIOS?
    |>
    |>If I do this will my old apps run if I start them or do they all have to be
    |>reloaded under XP to run if I've booted with XP (I assume so)?

    Yes, partition your disk or add another drive.

    Boot up into Win98, insert the XP CD (autorun must be enabled), it
    will ask if you want to upgrade? (NO), a clean install? (YES) and you
    will decide what partition (I think this is in the advanced options).

    It will copy some files, reboot, begin to install XP, at one point it
    will ask you where to install XP this is where you tell it the other
    partition or HD. (I've had this time out and install itself to C: so
    watch for it).

    It will reboot again this time into XP. After that the next time you
    reboot you will be given the option of booting into Win98 or XP.
    --

    , Aug 15, 2005
  5. Karl Engel

    Karl Engel Guest

    Thanks all. The 98SE computer is really only for internet & email & it's
    sucha waste to toss it - I just want to try Skype now that I have DSL.

    But how about my other q regarding the old apps already installed under 98..
    it's really just Office 97 and my scanning software, both of which I know
    run OK in an XP only machine. Will they be available in my XP boot, or will
    I have to re-install them if I want to use them under XP?

    Karl Engel, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Karl Engel wrote:

    > Thanks all. The 98SE computer is really only for internet & email & it's
    > sucha waste to toss it - I just want to try Skype now that I have DSL.
    >
    > But how about my other q regarding the old apps already installed under
    > 98.. it's really just Office 97 and my scanning software, both of which I
    > know run OK in an XP only machine. Will they be available in my XP boot,
    > or will I have to re-install them if I want to use them under XP?

    You will have to reinstall them under XP, because they also use system dlls
    and (twain) drivers which must be present.
    Another alternative would be to
    - first copy the 98 partition over to a spare on the 2nd drive or on a
    partition behind the existing one
    - 2nd, run XP in _update_ mode (consider the update check utility first,
    ypur sacnner will probably need different drivers) and then convert to ntfs
    - 3rd, install a bootmanager that lets you select win98 (which will be seen
    as C: because of NTFS invisible) or XP to boot (which, due to upgrade
    install, also runs on C: and hopefully integrated your old '98 registry).
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Karl Engel

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:31:43 +1000, "Karl Engel" <> wrote:

    >There are some apps I want to try on my stable Win98SE computer that require
    >XP. Rather than do a complete upgrade, can I create a new partition, load
    >XP to that & tell the computer to boot from this in BIOS?
    >
    >If I do this will my old apps run if I start them or do they all have to be
    >reloaded under XP to run if I've booted with XP (I assume so)?

    Karl,
    I didn't see where anyone else asked you if you've checked to see if the old computer's hardware meets the minimum
    requirements for XP, so I will.
    Does it?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

    Harrison, Aug 15, 2005
  8. Karl Engel

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:11:40 +1000, "Karl Engel" <> wrote:

    >Thanks all. The 98SE computer is really only for internet & email & it's
    >sucha waste to toss it - I just want to try Skype now that I have DSL.

    This one works better than Skype.
    http://www.theswitchboard.ca/

    Harrison, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Karl Engel

    Gordon Guest

    wrote:

    > "Karl Engel" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>There are some apps I want to try on my stable Win98SE computer that
    > |>require
    > |>XP. Rather than do a complete upgrade, can I create a new partition,
    > |>load XP to that & tell the computer to boot from this in BIOS?
    > |>
    > |>If I do this will my old apps run if I start them or do they all have to
    > |>be reloaded under XP to run if I've booted with XP (I assume so)?
    > |>

    > Yes, partition your disk or add another drive.
    >
    > Boot up into Win98, insert the XP CD (autorun must be enabled), it
    > will ask if you want to upgrade? (NO), a clean install? (YES) and you
    > will decide what partition (I think this is in the advanced options).

    The XP partitioning tool will NOT create a new partition unless you have
    free space on the HDD AFAIR......and neither will it shrink existing
    partitions to create that free space AFAIR.....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0

    Gordon, Aug 15, 2005