Will this stop a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Edward, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Edward

    Edward Guest

    I received the following tip from a friend. It seems to make good
    sense, if the fungus would stop at the first erroneous address. Does
    this sound like a useful tool, or a ruse? TIA.

    HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK;

    I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in it's
    simplicity. I received it from a friend.

    As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads
    straight for your e-mail address book, and sends itself to everyone in
    there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick
    won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop
    it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert
    you
    to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.

    Here's what you do; first, open your address book and click on "new
    contact",
    Just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of
    e-mail addresses.

    In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
    AAAAAAA, Also use address

    Now, Here's what you've done and why it works: The name AAAAAAA will
    be

    placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be
    where
    the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends.
    But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be
    undeliverable
    because of the phony e-mail address you entered.

    If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony
    address),
    the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

    Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot
    be delivered, you will be notified of this in your IN BOX almost
    immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an
    e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know right
    away
    that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps
    get rid of it! Pretty slick, huh?

    If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
    opening
    mail from friends.
    Edward, Sep 2, 2003

  2. "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > I received the following tip from a friend. It seems to make good
    > sense, if the fungus would stop at the first erroneous address. Does
    > this sound like a useful tool, or a ruse? TIA.
    >

    > HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK;
    >
    > I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in it's
    > simplicity. I received it from a friend.
    >
    > As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads
    > straight for your e-mail address book, and sends itself to everyone in
    > there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick
    > won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop
    > it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert
    > you
    > to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.
    >
    > Here's what you do; first, open your address book and click on "new
    > contact",
    > Just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of
    > e-mail addresses.
    >
    > In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
    > AAAAAAA, Also use address
    >
    > Now, Here's what you've done and why it works: The name AAAAAAA will
    > be
    >
    > placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be
    > where
    > the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends.
    > But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be
    > undeliverable
    > because of the phony e-mail address you entered.
    >
    > If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony
    > address),
    > the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.
    >
    > Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot
    > be delivered, you will be notified of this in your IN BOX almost
    > immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an
    > e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know right
    > away
    > that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps
    > get rid of it! Pretty slick, huh?
    >
    > If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
    > opening
    > mail from friends.

    Used to be somewhat effective in the past, but not with any of the newer
    viruses/worms :-(
    John E. Carty, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Edward

    IanDunbar Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > I received the following tip from a friend. It seems to make good
    > sense, if the fungus would stop at the first erroneous address. Does
    > this sound like a useful tool, or a ruse? TIA.
    >

    > HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK;
    >
    > I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in it's
    > simplicity. I received it from a friend.
    >
    > As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads
    > straight for your e-mail address book, and sends itself to everyone in
    > there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick
    > won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop
    > it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert
    > you
    > to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.
    >
    > Here's what you do; first, open your address book and click on "new
    > contact",
    > Just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of
    > e-mail addresses.
    >
    > In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
    > AAAAAAA, Also use address
    >
    > Now, Here's what you've done and why it works: The name AAAAAAA will
    > be
    >
    > placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be
    > where
    > the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends.
    > But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be
    > undeliverable
    > because of the phony e-mail address you entered.
    >
    > If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony
    > address),
    > the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.
    >
    > Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot
    > be delivered, you will be notified of this in your IN BOX almost
    > immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an
    > e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know right
    > away
    > that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps
    > get rid of it! Pretty slick, huh?
    >
    > If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
    > opening
    > mail from friends.

    I have used this for a couple of years, but only so that I would know if I
    had an infection that tried to read and send via the address book.
    I've never (touches desk, wonders if mdf counts as wood) had any form of
    virus, worm infection so I can't tell you how effective it is under a real
    life threat.

    --
    Ian
    IanDunbar, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Edward

    Mimic Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > I received the following tip from a friend. It seems to make good
    > sense, if the fungus would stop at the first erroneous address. Does
    > this sound like a useful tool, or a ruse? TIA.
    >

    > HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK;
    >
    > I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in it's
    > simplicity. I received it from a friend.
    >
    > As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads
    > straight for your e-mail address book, and sends itself to everyone in
    > there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick
    > won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop
    > it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert
    > you
    > to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.
    >
    > Here's what you do; first, open your address book and click on "new
    > contact",
    > Just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of
    > e-mail addresses.
    >
    > In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
    > AAAAAAA, Also use address
    >
    > Now, Here's what you've done and why it works: The name AAAAAAA will
    > be
    >
    > placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be
    > where
    > the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends.
    > But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be
    > undeliverable
    > because of the phony e-mail address you entered.
    >
    > If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony
    > address),
    > the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.
    >
    > Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot
    > be delivered, you will be notified of this in your IN BOX almost
    > immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an
    > e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know right
    > away
    > that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps
    > get rid of it! Pretty slick, huh?
    >
    > If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
    > opening
    > mail from friends.

    that doesnt tend to work anymore. However, part 2 could be useful

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    Mimic, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Edward

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:13:52 GMT, Edward <> wrote:

    > I received the following tip from a friend.

    If you are unsure that it works, its unwise to post it here.

    A better solution is not to use Microsoft email clients
    and not to get email virus's in the first place.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Edward

    Whoever Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Mimic wrote:

    > "Edward" <> wrote in message

    > > Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot
    > > be delivered, you will be notified of this in your IN BOX almost
    > > immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an
    > > e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know right
    > > away
    > > that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps
    > > get rid of it! Pretty slick, huh?
    > >
    > > If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
    > > opening
    > > mail from friends.

    > that doesnt tend to work anymore. However, part 2 could be useful

    Nor does part 2 tend to work -- since many viruses will:
    1. Have their own SMTP engine (which does not generate bounce emails if it
    cannot deliver)
    2. Forge the From address, so in the unlikely event that a bounce is
    generated, it will go to someone else.
    Whoever, Sep 2, 2003
  7. Edward

    Mimic Guest

    "Whoever" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Mimic wrote:
    >
    > > "Edward" <> wrote in message

    > > > Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot
    > > > be delivered, you will be notified of this in your IN BOX almost
    > > > immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an
    > > > e-mail addressed to AAAAAAA could not be delivered, you know right
    > > > away
    > > > that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps
    > > > get rid of it! Pretty slick, huh?
    > > >
    > > > If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about
    > > > opening
    > > > mail from friends.

    > > that doesnt tend to work anymore. However, part 2 could be useful

    > Nor does part 2 tend to work -- since many viruses will:
    > 1. Have their own SMTP engine (which does not generate bounce emails if it
    > cannot deliver)
    > 2. Forge the From address, so in the unlikely event that a bounce is
    > generated, it will go to someone else.

    Fair enough

    --
    Mimic