Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by graviton, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. graviton

    graviton Guest

    Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
    clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    this will be stable and reliable.

    I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
    currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
    many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
    really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
    whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
    the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
    in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.

    Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Here's hoping.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005

  2. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message news:...
    > Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    > sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

    absolutely
    > clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    > All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    > this will be stable and reliable.
    >
    > I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you

    can
    > currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
    > many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
    > really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
    > whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only

    after
    > the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not

    interested
    > in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
    >
    > Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Here's hoping.

    If there is a better place to ask this question a pointer would be
    appreciated.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005

  3. graviton

    EMB Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    > sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
    > clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    > All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    > this will be stable and reliable.

    IME you'll see a significant speed increase. I just tried a quick test
    (major stats computation) between a p3-667 machine and a Sempron 2400+
    one, both running Asus motherboards - looks like a factor of about 3 - 4
    in favour of the Sempron.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 12, 2005
  4. graviton

    steve Guest

    graviton wrote:

    > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    > this will be stable and reliable.

    Yes.

    www.amd.com says:

    Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)

    .....or....

    754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)

    Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.

    steve, Dec 12, 2005
  5. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    > > sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

    absolutely
    > > clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    > > All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    > > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

    like
    > > this will be stable and reliable.

    > IME you'll see a significant speed increase. I just tried a quick test
    > (major stats computation) between a p3-667 machine and a Sempron 2400+
    > one, both running Asus motherboards - looks like a factor of about 3 - 4
    > in favour of the Sempron.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Thanks a lot, it might have been an obvious result to some people but i know
    that the absolute bottom end of current computer tech can be as slow as the
    average system 2-3 years ago and maybe older which is why I had to ask.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  6. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    >
    > > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

    like
    > > this will be stable and reliable.

    > Yes.
    >
    > www.amd.com says:
    >
    > Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)
    >
    > ....or....
    >
    > 754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)
    >
    > Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.

    Thanks. I thought socket 754 was newer than socket A but yet the 754 cpu is
    lesser speced than the A.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  7. graviton

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    wrote:

    >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
    >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    >this will be stable and reliable.

    You have been given all the information you need.

    >I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
    >currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
    >many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
    >really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
    >whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
    >the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
    >in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.

    Maybe you should pay someone if you want to call the tune.

    >Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Here's hoping.

    Will anyone bother?

    Bret, Dec 12, 2005
  8. graviton

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:53:45 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >graviton wrote:
    >> Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    >> sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
    >> clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    >> All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    >> asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    >> current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    >> specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    >> this will be stable and reliable.

    >IME you'll see a significant speed increase. I just tried a quick test
    >(major stats computation) between a p3-667 machine and a Sempron 2400+
    >one, both running Asus motherboards - looks like a factor of about 3 - 4
    >in favour of the Sempron.

    That's what I would expect.

    Bret, Dec 12, 2005
  9. graviton

    steve Guest

    graviton wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> graviton wrote:
    >>
    >> > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    >> > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    >> > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

    > like
    >> > this will be stable and reliable.

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> www.amd.com says:
    >>
    >> Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)
    >>
    >> ....or....
    >>
    >> 754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)
    >>
    >> Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.

    > Thanks. I thought socket 754 was newer than socket A but yet the 754 cpu
    > is lesser speced than the A.

    True.

    Built on the same processor core, but slightly slower and with less onboard
    cache. Should therefore be slightly cheaper.

    steve, Dec 12, 2005
  10. graviton

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 12, 2005
  11. graviton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> graviton wrote:
    >>
    >>> asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster
    >>> than my current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1
    >>> cpu, specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass
    >>> motherboard like this will be stable and reliable.

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> www.amd.com says:
    >>
    >> Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)
    >>
    >> ....or....
    >>
    >> 754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)
    >>
    >> Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.
    >>

    > Thanks. I thought socket 754 was newer than socket A but yet the 754
    > cpu is lesser speced than the A.

    You're right, you really are clueless about computer hardware. Just because
    it is lower MHz doesn't mean it's "lesser speced".

    Ooops. I guess that's "opinion".
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2005
  12. graviton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > "graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message
    >> Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt
    >> got sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make
    >> it absolutely clear what my question is about and what it is not
    >> about.
    >> All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as
    >> an asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster
    >> than my current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1
    >> cpu, specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass
    >> motherboard like this will be stable and reliable.
    >>
    >> I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what
    >> you can currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider
    >> this setup for many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have
    >> considered so I would really appreciate it if I only got answers to
    >> my exact question and not a whole lot of opinions about something I
    >> have not asked for, I am only after the experience and expertise of
    >> others on this hardware, I am not interested in philosophies on what
    >> I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
    >>
    >> Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be
    >> greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Here's hoping.
    >>

    > If there is a better place to ask this question a pointer would be
    > appreciated.

    Sorry, didn't mean to piss you off by offering you a free CPU that I could
    get $50+ for easilly on Trademe.

    You were given all the answers you needed in the other thread, that's why
    you've changed your CPU from a 2200+ to a 2600+ Sempron. What do you want
    now? Someone to search the internet for you and give you benchmarks? Are
    they expected to take into account that you'll probably be keeping ATA33 or
    ATA66 HDDs from your current machine? What about when your PC crashes due to
    an under-speced PSU?

    Perhaps I'll keep my "philosophies" and opinions to myself from now on, let
    you find someone else to reassure you that you aren't wasting money buying
    the cheapest crap you can find. Good luck.

    You actually may be better asking in alt.comp.hardware. They won't be
    anywhere near as nice and you can get pissed off with them too. They may
    even laugh at you and tell you to go read some websites or to buy a Dell.

    Merry Christmas.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2005
  13. graviton

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
    >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    >this will be stable and reliable.
    >
    >I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
    >currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
    >many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
    >really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
    >whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
    >the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
    >in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
    >
    >Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Here's hoping.

    I went from a TMC TI5VG+ with K6-2/550MHz to AsRock K7VT2 (266MHz FSB)
    with Duron 1100MHz, which benchmarked 3x faster though it was only
    double the clockspeed. I upgraded to Athlon XP2400+ (2000MHz) and
    that benchmarked 2.2x faster again. Given that your K7VM3 runs on a
    333MHz FSB but the CPU frequency is a little slower, it should work
    out similarly.

    Other things that make a difference to overall speed is the hard
    drive. I was running a 7200rpm Quantum Fireball 20,5Gb but upgraded
    to Samsung 160Gb SP1614N which made a very noticeable difference.

    GraB, Dec 12, 2005
  14. graviton

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:38:52 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    >>sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
    >>clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    >>All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    >>asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    >>current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    >>specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    >>this will be stable and reliable.
    >>
    >>I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
    >>currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
    >>many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
    >>really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
    >>whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
    >>the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
    >>in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
    >>
    >>Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Here's hoping.
    >>

    >I went from a TMC TI5VG+ with K6-2/550MHz to AsRock K7VT2 (266MHz FSB)
    >with Duron 1100MHz, which benchmarked 3x faster though it was only
    >double the clockspeed. I upgraded to Athlon XP2400+ (2000MHz) and
    >that benchmarked 2.2x faster again. Given that your K7VM3 runs on a
    >333MHz FSB but the CPU frequency is a little slower, it should work
    >out similarly.
    >
    >Other things that make a difference to overall speed is the hard
    >drive. I was running a 7200rpm Quantum Fireball 20,5Gb but upgraded
    >to Samsung 160Gb SP1614N which made a very noticeable difference.

    What OS do you have? One point: Win98SE is not compatible with
    drives over 28bit LBA so you might be better to keep to 120Gb max.

    Don't forget you will need new RAM and quite likely a new PSU. What
    is your present PSU? You may have to remove it to read the label.
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    A 300w AcBel ATX Power Supply from Tastech is $50.

    GraB, Dec 12, 2005
  15. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > "graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message
    > >> Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt
    > >> got sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make
    > >> it absolutely clear what my question is about and what it is not
    > >> about.
    > >> All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as
    > >> an asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster
    > >> than my current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1
    > >> cpu, specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass
    > >> motherboard like this will be stable and reliable.
    > >>
    > >> I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what
    > >> you can currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider
    > >> this setup for many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have
    > >> considered so I would really appreciate it if I only got answers to
    > >> my exact question and not a whole lot of opinions about something I
    > >> have not asked for, I am only after the experience and expertise of
    > >> others on this hardware, I am not interested in philosophies on what
    > >> I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be
    > >> greatly appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Here's hoping.
    > >>

    > > If there is a better place to ask this question a pointer would be
    > > appreciated.

    > Sorry, didn't mean to piss you off by offering you a free CPU that I could
    > get $50+ for easilly on Trademe.
    >
    > You were given all the answers you needed in the other thread, that's why
    > you've changed your CPU from a 2200+ to a 2600+ Sempron. What do you want
    > now? Someone to search the internet for you and give you benchmarks? Are
    > they expected to take into account that you'll probably be keeping ATA33

    or
    > ATA66 HDDs from your current machine? What about when your PC crashes due

    > an under-speced PSU?
    >
    > Perhaps I'll keep my "philosophies" and opinions to myself from now on,

    let
    > you find someone else to reassure you that you aren't wasting money buying
    > the cheapest crap you can find. Good luck.
    >
    > You actually may be better asking in alt.comp.hardware. They won't be
    > anywhere near as nice and you can get pissed off with them too. They may
    > even laugh at you and tell you to go read some websites or to buy a Dell.
    >
    > Merry Christmas.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Well I can see I really pissed you off, didn't mean to do that mate, just
    trying to get an answer to the questions I asked and nothing else, your help
    was appreciated as indicated in the previous thread, so rather than write
    what I did here I started this new thread so as to not create the sort of
    misunderstanding that you have obviously had.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  16. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    > >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

    absolutely
    > >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    > >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    > >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    > >this will be stable and reliable.

    > Maybe you should pay someone if you want to call the tune.

    Is it too much to ask that the question be answered, I only asked, if you
    don't want to help then that is fine don't reply but using my question as a
    chance to get on your favorite hobby horse is not all that helpful, I
    understand that some people don't read the question correctly and make all
    sorts of assumptions about things not mentioned in the question and that is
    why they go on about all sorts of things that the poster may have his own
    opinion about. I am sure many here can relate to the problem I am referring
    to, it's very common on this newsgroup, what I wrote in this thread was
    simply a 2nd attempt to keep answers to my question relevant and save people
    wasting a lot of time replying with unwanted info.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  17. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    > >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

    absolutely
    > >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    > >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    > >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    > >this will be stable and reliable.

    > Maybe you should pay someone if you want to call the tune.
    >
    > >Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    > >appreciated.
    > >
    > >Here's hoping.
    > >

    > Will anyone bother?

    Yep they have and the replies have been very helpful, I am glad i made the
    extra effort to make my question clear, it has worked a treat other than
    pissing a couple of people off.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  18. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:38:52 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    > >>sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

    absolutely
    > >>clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    > >>All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    > >>asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    > >>current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    > >>specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

    like
    > >>this will be stable and reliable.
    > >>
    > >>I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you

    can
    > >>currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup

    for
    > >>many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
    > >>really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not

    > >>whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only

    after
    > >>the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not

    interested
    > >>in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
    > >>
    > >>Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    > >>appreciated.
    > >>
    > >>Here's hoping.
    > >>

    > >I went from a TMC TI5VG+ with K6-2/550MHz to AsRock K7VT2 (266MHz FSB)
    > >with Duron 1100MHz, which benchmarked 3x faster though it was only
    > >double the clockspeed. I upgraded to Athlon XP2400+ (2000MHz) and
    > >that benchmarked 2.2x faster again. Given that your K7VM3 runs on a
    > >333MHz FSB but the CPU frequency is a little slower, it should work
    > >out similarly.
    > >
    > >Other things that make a difference to overall speed is the hard
    > >drive. I was running a 7200rpm Quantum Fireball 20,5Gb but upgraded
    > >to Samsung 160Gb SP1614N which made a very noticeable difference.

    > What OS do you have? One point: Win98SE is not compatible with
    > drives over 28bit LBA so you might be better to keep to 120Gb max.
    >
    > Don't forget you will need new RAM and quite likely a new PSU. What
    > is your present PSU? You may have to remove it to read the label.
    > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    >
    > A 300w AcBel ATX Power Supply from Tastech is $50.

    Thanks a lot for the most helpful reply, thanks for the tip on the harddrive
    also, 120GB is the size I intend to get. I have win98se and will continue to
    use it if i can, not sure if all the new hardware will be compatible but it
    looks hopeful.
    My upgrade includes cpu, motherboard, ram and harddrive, I think my psu is
    ok, it's suppose to be p4 ready so i assume that will fine although I intend
    to double check that.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  19. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > "steve" <> wrote in message

    > >> Yes.
    > >>
    > >> www.amd.com says:
    > >>
    > >> Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)
    > >>
    > >> ....or....
    > >>
    > >> 754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)
    > >>
    > >> Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.
    > >>

    > > Thanks. I thought socket 754 was newer than socket A but yet the 754
    > > cpu is lesser speced than the A.

    > You're right, you really are clueless about computer hardware. Just

    because
    > it is lower MHz doesn't mean it's "lesser speced".
    >
    > Ooops. I guess that's "opinion".
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I'm guessing you are just looking for an opportunity to lash out at me, I
    was also referring to the smaller cache although i realise bus speeds may
    make up for this which is why I asked and like i said I have not been into
    the computer hardware scene since my last upgrade so my specific knowledge
    is well out of date although not completely clueless as I do retain some
    general concepts from the past and certainly buying strategy has not
    changed.

    graviton, Dec 12, 2005
  20. graviton

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:50:56 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    wrote:

    >"Bret" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
    >> >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

    >absolutely
    >> >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
    >> >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
    >> >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
    >> >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
    >> >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
    >> >this will be stable and reliable.

    >> Maybe you should pay someone if you want to call the tune.
    >>

    >Is it too much to ask that the question be answered, I only asked, if you
    >don't want to help then that is fine don't reply but using my question as a
    >chance to get on your favorite hobby horse is not all that helpful,

    WTF, where am I, nz.comp.

    >understand that some people don't read the question correctly and make all
    >sorts of assumptions about things not mentioned in the question and that is
    >why they go on about all sorts of things that the poster may have his own
    >opinion about.

    You need to mention the things not mentioned in the question so kind
    helpful people who respond don't waste their time on assumptions.

    > I am sure many here can relate to the problem I am referring
    >to, it's very common on this newsgroup,

    Go ahead, dis the group now why don't ya.

    >what I wrote in this thread was
    >simply a 2nd attempt to keep answers to my question relevant and save people
    >wasting a lot of time replying with unwanted info.

    It's called a discussion, and if it runs away you might need to run
    to keep up :)

    >> >Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
    >> >appreciated.

    Could you tell us what you know, might be quicker :)

    Bret, Dec 12, 2005