WIll this email get actioned?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by CaljamScott, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. CaljamScott

    CaljamScott Guest

    Dear Computer Security Posters,

    I'm asking your advice and opinions on if this particular genius of an email
    is going to be actioned by CS. I've already forwarded it back to the CS ISP.

    Notice senders' aspersions to "crimes against teenage boys" and the "grass
    and lawnmower" analogy.

    The sender has a reputation for using alarming emails to browbeat down on
    people.

    Thank you all for your advice on this matter.

    Scott

    --ABUSIVE EMAIL--

    CaljamScott, Jun 29, 2003

  2. CaljamScott

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:46:28 GMT, "CaljamScott"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    Please take your disputes and emails elsewhere, its not a
    security issue

    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because
    they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous
    sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."

    .... Neil Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
    Jim Watt, Jun 29, 2003

  3. CaljamScott

    CaljamScott Guest

    "Thund3rstruck" <> wrote in message
    > CaljamScott rambled on about something in
    > <EeILa.28511$>:
    >
    > > Dear Computer Security Posters,
    > >
    > > I'm asking your advice and opinions on if this particular genius of
    > > an email is going to be actioned by CS. I've already forwarded it
    > > back to the CS ISP.
    > >
    > > Notice senders' aspersions to "crimes against teenage boys" and the
    > > "grass and lawnmower" analogy.
    > >
    > > The sender has a reputation for using alarming emails to browbeat
    > > down on people.
    > >
    > > Thank you all for your advice on this matter.

    > Why not toss his ass in the blocked sender list, and be done with
    > it? You won't see his messages. You won't be annoyed by him because
    > he'll be gone, to you. And if he's blocked he can't try to browbeat
    > you anymore... <G>
    >
    > First suggestion that came to mind...
    >
    > NOI

    The goon keeps changing his screenname on everyone. Thanks for the advice.

    Anyone else with suggestions?

    Scott
    CaljamScott, Jun 30, 2003
  4. CaljamScott

    CaljamScott Guest

    "Jim Watt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:46:28 GMT, "CaljamScott"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Please take your disputes and emails elsewhere, its not a
    > security issue
    >
    > Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    >
    > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game

    because
    > they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from -

    self-righteous
    > sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    >
    > ... Neil Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

    Hi Jim. Seems like a security issue to me. I don't know much about this ng,
    but it still seems like a security isssue to me. As opposed to a "dispute."
    I didn't commence any dispute. I just want to be secure, as computing should
    be good wholesome family entertainment. Not goons sending me emails like
    this.

    Thanks. Anyone else? I just wanna find out from people in the know if CS is
    gonna action an email like that.

    Scott
    CaljamScott, Jun 30, 2003
  5. CaljamScott

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:36:26 GMT, "CaljamScott"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Jim. Seems like a security issue to me. I don't know much about this ng,
    >but it still seems like a security isssue to me.

    I think you said that twice, but its still not true.

    Computer security is about ensuring that machines
    are not used for unauthorised purposes and
    are physically protected.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 30, 2003
  6. CaljamScott

    donut Guest

    "CaljamScott" <> wrote in

    > Anyone else with suggestions?

    Take it to your ISP.
    donut, Jun 30, 2003
  7. CaljamScott

    CaljamScott Guest

    "donut" <> wrote in message
    > "CaljamScott" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Anyone else with suggestions?

    > Take it to your ISP.

    Thanks donut. I've taken it to the GOON's ISP.

    Hey. I'm sure ANYONE here would be upset with an email right out of the blue
    such as this one, wouldn't you?

    Of course I've forwarded it back to GOON's isp. I'm asking this ng what are
    the chances of the GOON getting an abuse warning?

    Thanks

    Scott
    CaljamScott, Jun 30, 2003
  8. CaljamScott

    Ross Guest

    CaljamScott pulled a bright blue crayon out of the box and scribbled
    this in news:EeILa.28511$:

    > Dear Computer Security Posters,
    >
    > I'm asking your advice and opinions on if this particular genius of an
    > email is going to be actioned by CS. I've already forwarded it back to
    > the CS ISP.
    >
    > Notice senders' aspersions to "crimes against teenage boys" and the
    > "grass and lawnmower" analogy.
    >
    > The sender has a reputation for using alarming emails to browbeat down
    > on people.

    You forgot to mention your own habit of being a first-class net.jerk. This
    is a case of 'unclean hands', Lipschitz.

    > Thank you all for your advice on this matter.

    It's really quite simple: grow up, get a life and try to get along with
    people. Also, learn about your kill-file.

    > Scott
    >
    > --ABUSIVE EMAIL--

    I don't condone this kind of post, even if the allegations are true (which
    I don't believe), but Scott Lipschitz' behaviour on Usenet has obviously
    caused someone to retaliate, as infantile as it is.

    R.

    --
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production
    deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.
    Ross, Jul 1, 2003
  9. CaljamScott

    CaljamScott Guest

    "Ross" <> wrote in message
    > CaljamScott pulled a bright blue crayon out of the box and scribbled
    > this in news:EeILa.28511$:
    >
    > > Dear Computer Security Posters,
    > >
    > > I'm asking your advice and opinions on if this particular genius of an
    > > email is going to be actioned by CS. I've already forwarded it back to
    > > the CS ISP.
    > >
    > > Notice senders' aspersions to "crimes against teenage boys" and the
    > > "grass and lawnmower" analogy.
    > >
    > > The sender has a reputation for using alarming emails to browbeat down
    > > on people.

    > You forgot to mention your own habit of being a first-class net.jerk.

    This
    > is a case of 'unclean hands', Lipschitz.
    >
    > > Thank you all for your advice on this matter.

    > It's really quite simple: grow up, get a life and try to get along with
    > people. Also, learn about your kill-file.
    >
    > > Scott
    > >
    > > --ABUSIVE EMAIL--

    My "behaviour" on Usenet? Tell everyone the truth and tell everyone I'm the
    biggest thing on Usenet.

    I didn't post here on this ng to have my behaviour critiqued. I came here to
    find advice on a Babbling Baboon email.

    Scott
    CaljamScott, Jul 1, 2003
  10. CaljamScott

    Redwop G Guest

    Speaking from the point of view of an ISP, I'd say that no ISP in the world
    would intentionally cancel an account unless its customers has violated one
    of it's rules.

    Seeing from what you had posted regarding this "goon" who had emailed you
    something you took offense to is not justification for a cancellation of an
    account outright. That person would have to be harassing you to the extent
    that the police would take notice in order for the ISP to act on it I'm
    afraid.

    R. Green
    Technical Service Advisor
    www.wowsat.com