    they didn't say not all the features were supported.
    cheers
    gato loco
    Gatos Loco, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Yes, the inplace upgrade functionality will included for XP Pro x64 to Vista
    x64 scenarios, it just might specific to a particular SKU, since Microsoft
    is planning to make all Vista editions both native 32/64 bit. Which in your
    case means, you will have an upgrade path to the Professional, SMB and
    Enterprise editions of Vista x64 since they are supersets.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Keep in mind that the recommendation in Vista will be the same as it has
    been for every OS since DOS 3.0 -- do a CLEAN install of a new OS. It's
    better in the long run.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Gatos Loco

    Rick Guest

    Don't tell Bruce Chambers that. He claims that is an antiquated and
    useless idea!

    Rick, Sep 14, 2005
  5. I'd be happy to "discuss" it with Bruce any day. ;)

    Seriously, I do it on my machines whenever I install a new version. And I
    still believe that MS ships the single best and most efficient OS tuning and
    speedup tool with all its OSs and has since DOS2 at least -- fdisk.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 14, 2005
  6. I agree, I remember when I did an upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro
    x86 it was such a nightmare, it took about 3 hours to detect devices and of
    course it was slow like molasses when it finally installed.

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Gatos Loco

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't remember fdisk in XP and later, but do agree on a CLEAN install.
    Personally like to do a clean reinstall each year to keep the system running
    faster and clean up leftovers from programs I have uninstalled and no longer
    install those I don't use and haven't uninstalled.

    John Barnes, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Gatos Loco

    Gatos Loco Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:20:26 -0700, "Andre Da Costa"
    <> wrote:

    >I agree, I remember when I did an upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro
    >x86 it was such a nightmare, it took about 3 hours to detect devices and of
    >course it was slow like molasses when it finally installed.

    I allsays just wipe out the hard drive before loading an OS. It just
    removes any potential artifacts.

    thanks for the responses
    gato loco
    Gatos Loco, Sep 14, 2005
  9. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    > I'd be happy to "discuss" it with Bruce any day. ;)
    >
    > Seriously, I do it on my machines whenever I install a new version.
    > And I still believe that MS ships the single best and most efficient
    > OS tuning and speedup tool with all its OSs and has since DOS2 at
    > least -- fdisk.

    Buried away on Microsoft's site where it's damn near impossible to find is
    an even better tool...DELPART
    Nymshift Time Again, Sep 15, 2005
  10. Yup, I know it. But I like the old faithfuls. It's been doing the job for me
    for 20 years now, don't see any need to change. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 15, 2005
  11. It's really only there as "diskpart", but the function is the same.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 15, 2005