    settings I've made. Will either the D80 or D200 do that?
    (I won't be using a VR lens and probably with a lens
    of FL less than 80mm). TIA

    E. E. Herbert, Sep 26, 2006

  2. E. E. Herbert

    Cynicor Guest

    E. E. Herbert wrote:
    > For candid portraits, I'd like to use the Aperture Mode, set the
    > camera to max aperture for small depth of field, set the
    > minimum shutter speed to 1/60th or faster, and have the
    > camera automatically choose the ISO to meet the selected
    > settings I've made. Will either the D80 or D200 do that?
    > (I won't be using a VR lens and probably with a lens
    > of FL less than 80mm). TIA

    The D200 definitely has an Auto ISO function. Here's a bit of
    discussion: http://photography.about.com/od/digitalcameras/a/autoiso.htm

    Cynicor, Sep 26, 2006

  3. E. E. Herbert

    acl Guest

    E. E. Herbert wrote:
    > For candid portraits, I'd like to use the Aperture Mode, set the
    > camera to max aperture for small depth of field, set the
    > minimum shutter speed to 1/60th or faster, and have the
    > camera automatically choose the ISO to meet the selected
    > settings I've made. Will either the D80 or D200 do that?
    > (I won't be using a VR lens and probably with a lens
    > of FL less than 80mm). TIA

    At least the D200 does.

    acl, Sep 26, 2006
  4. E. E. Herbert

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:06:24 -0500, in rec.photo.digital E. E. Herbert
    <> wrote:

    >For candid portraits, I'd like to use the Aperture Mode, set the
    >camera to max aperture for small depth of field, set the
    >minimum shutter speed to 1/60th or faster, and have the
    >camera automatically choose the ISO to meet the selected
    >settings I've made. Will either the D80 or D200 do that?
    >(I won't be using a VR lens and probably with a lens
    >of FL less than 80mm). TIA

    Yes, either will.
    -
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Ed Ruf <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:06:24 -0500, in rec.photo.digital E. E. Herbert
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>For candid portraits, I'd like to use the Aperture Mode, set the
    >>camera to max aperture for small depth of field, set the
    >>minimum shutter speed to 1/60th or faster, and have the
    >>camera automatically choose the ISO to meet the selected
    >>settings I've made. Will either the D80 or D200 do that?
    >>(I won't be using a VR lens and probably with a lens
    >>of FL less than 80mm). TIA

    > Yes, either will.

    Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture for candid
    portraits? :)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 26, 2006
  6. E. E. Herbert

    JG Guest

    quote...

    JG, Sep 26, 2006
  7. JG <> wrote:
    > quote...
    >
    > "set the camera to max aperture for small depth of field"

    Yes, and I asked, "Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture
    for candid portraits :)".

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 26, 2006
  8. Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > JG <> wrote:
    >> quote...
    >>
    >> "set the camera to max aperture for small depth of field"
    >>

    > Yes, and I asked, "Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture
    > for candid portraits :)".

    uh... to minimize depth of field? wouldn't that be a pretty obvious answer?

    Graham Fountain, Sep 26, 2006
  9. E. E. Herbert

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > JG <> wrote:
    >> quote...
    >>
    >> "set the camera to max aperture for small depth of field"
    >>

    > Yes, and I asked, "Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture
    > for candid portraits :)".

    Do you think he means something like F/22 is a large aperture, or
    something like F/2.8 is a large aperture?

    I'm confused by your use of the smiley.

    --
    Ben
    Lyric of the week: "This the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

    Ben Thomas, Sep 26, 2006
  10. On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:10:02 GMT, Ben Thomas <>
    wrote:

    >Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >> JG <> wrote:
    >>> quote...
    >>>
    >>> "set the camera to max aperture for small depth of field"
    >>>

    >> Yes, and I asked, "Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture
    >> for candid portraits :)".
    >>

    >Do you think he means something like F/22 is a large aperture, or
    >something like F/2.8 is a large aperture?

    Thanks, all. I did mean max aperture to mean maximum lens opening
    for small depth of field. I had a chance today to handle both the
    D80 and D200, and it appears that I can select ISO on either one
    rather quickly. If the viewfinder displays shutter speed, I can
    dial the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. However, if I can
    select shutter speed while in Aperture mode, I'm guessing that
    "Auto ISO" will select the ISO to meet the inputs.
    Can I select shutter speed while in Aperture Mode?
    TIA

    E. E. Herbert, Sep 27, 2006
  11. On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:06:36 -0500, in rec.photo.digital E. E. Herbert
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks, all. I did mean max aperture to mean maximum lens opening
    >for small depth of field. I had a chance today to handle both the
    >D80 and D200, and it appears that I can select ISO on either one
    >rather quickly. If the viewfinder displays shutter speed,

    Didn't you look?

    >I can
    >dial the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. However, if I can
    >select shutter speed while in Aperture mode,

    No Aperture priority means you choose the aperture and the camera program,
    modified with exposure compensation, chooses the shutter speed. If you want
    to set both, that's what Manual is for.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Sep 27, 2006
  12. On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:06:36 -0500, E. E. Herbert <>
    wrote:

    <snip>
    > Thanks, all. I did mean max aperture to mean maximum lens opening
    >for small depth of field. I had a chance today to handle both the
    >D80 and D200, and it appears that I can select ISO on either one
    >rather quickly. If the viewfinder displays shutter speed, I can
    >dial the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. However, if I can
    >select shutter speed while in Aperture mode, I'm guessing that
    >"Auto ISO" will select the ISO to meet the inputs.
    > Can I select shutter speed while in Aperture Mode?
    >TIA

    No but you can set aperture and shutterspeed in M mode. And Auto ISO
    still works!

    Peter

    Peter Rongsted, Sep 27, 2006
  13. On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:21:13 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
    SIG!)" <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:06:36 -0500, in rec.photo.digital E. E. Herbert
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks, all. I did mean max aperture to mean maximum lens opening
    >>for small depth of field. I had a chance today to handle both the
    >>D80 and D200, and it appears that I can select ISO on either one
    >>rather quickly. If the viewfinder displays shutter speed,

    >Didn't you look?
    >
    >>I can
    >>dial the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. However, if I can
    >>select shutter speed while in Aperture mode,

    >No Aperture priority means you choose the aperture and the camera program,
    >modified with exposure compensation, chooses the shutter speed. If you want
    >to set both, that's what Manual is for.

    Does the Manual mode mean I have to focus?

    E. E. Herbert, Sep 27, 2006
  14. E. E. Herbert

    Ben Thomas Guest

    E. E. Herbert wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:21:13 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
    > SIG!)" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:06:36 -0500, in rec.photo.digital E. E. Herbert
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thanks, all. I did mean max aperture to mean maximum lens opening
    >>> for small depth of field. I had a chance today to handle both the
    >>> D80 and D200, and it appears that I can select ISO on either one
    >>> rather quickly. If the viewfinder displays shutter speed,

    >> Didn't you look?
    >>
    >>> I can
    >>> dial the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. However, if I can
    >>> select shutter speed while in Aperture mode,

    >> No Aperture priority means you choose the aperture and the camera program,
    >> modified with exposure compensation, chooses the shutter speed. If you want
    >> to set both, that's what Manual is for.

    > Does the Manual mode mean I have to focus?

    There's a separate switch on the lens for manual focus.

    Ben Thomas, Sep 27, 2006
  15. Graham Fountain <> wrote:
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >> JG <> wrote:
    >>> quote...
    >>>
    >>> "set the camera to max aperture for small depth of field"
    >>>

    >> Yes, and I asked, "Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture
    >> for candid portraits :)".
    >>

    > uh... to minimize depth of field? wouldn't that be a pretty obvious answer?

    My apologies ... I fell into the trap of thinking max f/stop.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 27, 2006
  16. Ben Thomas <> wrote:
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >> JG <> wrote:
    >>> quote...
    >>>
    >>> "set the camera to max aperture for small depth of field"
    >>>

    >> Yes, and I asked, "Yes, but more importantly, why would you want max apeture
    >> for candid portraits :)".
    >>

    > Do you think he means something like F/22 is a large aperture, or
    > something like F/2.8 is a large aperture?

    Indeed ... I did. I know better, but I must have been very tired yesterday.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 27, 2006
  17. E. E. Herbert

    LuvLatins Guest

    And the differece between aperature and fstop would be ??

    LuvLatins, Nov 29, 2006
  18. E. E. Herbert

    LuvLatins Guest

    Why thank you for that NASTY response.

    In a more polite way, set the camera to manual mode, set the aperture
    and speed and YES the camera will adjust the ISO automatically for
    you. You might want to go into the custom menu howerver becuase there
    are settings on how and at what increment the ISO adjusts.

    Happy shooting.

    LuvLatins, Nov 29, 2006
  19. E. E. Herbert

    LuvLatins Guest

    No the defualt of pressing the shutter button 1/2 way down will
    automatically focus. Remember you dont need to hold the button down
    half way to keep the camera in autofocus mode. But if you want the
    focus to continue to adjust you need to set the focus mode to "C"

    Have Fun

    LuvLatins, Nov 29, 2006
  20. E. E. Herbert

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:35:46 -0500, LuvLatins wrote:

    > And the differece between aperature and fstop would be ??

    With a lens that ranges from f/2.8 to f/22, some would say that
    the max aperture is f/2.8 and the max f/stop is f/22. When I'm in
    a bad mood I'll use f/8, a really mean f/stop.

    ASAAR, Nov 30, 2006