    like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply download a film than
    buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX? I'd much rather own my films.

    -DVDfanatico
    DVDfanatico, Feb 8, 2004

  2. DVDfanatico

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and it
    seems
    like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply download a film than
    buy the DVD. >>

    why would I want to watch a movie on my computer?
    BubbCoop, Feb 8, 2004

  3. DVDfanatico

    Justin Guest

    DVDfanatico wrote on [08 Feb 2004 11:41:05 GMT]:
    > Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and it seems
    > like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply download a film than
    > buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX? I'd much rather own my films.

    Nope. But it may eventually put a big dent into things like Netflix and
    Blockbuster.

    The quality you get on a DVD, and possibly some form of HD-DVD, just
    won't be beat with downloads for a very long time, unless you are
    willing to spend a couple of days downloading and have a seamless
    connection to your TV from whatever device you download the movie to.
    Justin, Feb 8, 2004
  4. DVDfanatico

    Murder Guest

    (DVDfanatico) wrote in

    > Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and
    > it seems like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply
    > download a film than buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX?
    > I'd much rather own my films.
    >
    > -DVDfanatico

    Well, besides the points in the other responses, there is the packaging. I
    could probably make my own pretty cool packaging, because I'm an artist,
    but not for ALL my titles. That would take too much time, and not be
    particularly worthwhile. I want the cool packaging. If I'll be paying a
    comparable ammount to download, I might as well have a handsome container.
    It's like collecting a library of books without covers for the same price
    you would pay for a library of books *with* covers. Unless you are talking
    about flat-out piracy.

    http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1956
    Murder, Feb 8, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    >Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and it

    seems
    >like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply download a film

    than
    >buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX? I'd much rather own my

    films.

    I think the concept of owning physical media will go away, but not anytime
    soon, and not via your computer. Rational:

    1. NONCONVERGANCE: Despite the fact that televisions are getting more like
    computers and computers are getting more like televisions, they are
    fundamentally different devices for different purposes. I wouldn't watch the
    Lord of the Rings on my computer any more than I would balance my checkbook on
    my television.

    2. THE INTERNET PIPE: Many, many people still use dialup connections
    (including me), which are totally unsuitable for downloading movies. This
    won't change until broadband becomes cheaper or the web becomes bloated enough
    that dialup connections will no longer work for ordinary browsing. Your local
    friendly cable guy is the more likely provider of on-demand movies.

    3. CONVENIENCE: The reason I have so many DVDs and laserdiscs. It's not
    because I get a kick out of owning coasters. I buy them so I don't have to
    tramp down to the rental store and then return them. I can count on my hands
    the number of discs I've "gotten my money out of", so If I could order quality
    on-demand movies I certainly would.

    4. SELECTION: A number of movies and TV shows have never made it onto DVD. I
    suspect on-demand will eventually have a much bigger selection. It will take
    a lot less demand to justify transferring a show onto a computer hard drive
    than stamping and trying to sell a DVD version.

    --
    --^\____
    | /
    | / Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    | | Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address
    | *|
    |_____\ http://www.geocities.com/xtremephotos/roads/roadindex.html
    Monte Castleman, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Murder wrote:

    > (DVDfanatico) wrote in
    >

    >>Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and
    >>it seems like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply
    >>download a film than buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX?
    >>I'd much rather own my films.
    >>
    >>-DVDfanatico

    > Well, besides the points in the other responses, there is the packaging. I
    > could probably make my own pretty cool packaging, because I'm an artist,
    > but not for ALL my titles. That would take too much time, and not be
    > particularly worthwhile. I want the cool packaging. If I'll be paying a
    > comparable ammount to download, I might as well have a handsome container.
    > It's like collecting a library of books without covers for the same price
    > you would pay for a library of books *with* covers. Unless you are talking
    > about flat-out piracy.

    I agree, in fact this is one of the reasons I am not too pleased with
    any of these online music services. Why should I pay 9.99 for an
    inferior copy of a CD and never actually get a physical disc with art,
    etc. I'd consider on demand video through the for the price of buying a
    retail DVD only if they send me the DVD in the mail (but allow me to
    stream/download a copy - even if its inferior quality - until then).
    Same goes for CD's, I'd gladly pay 12.99 or more on iTunes or Napster
    2.0 if I was actually mailed the CD after purchase. I know this isn't
    too difficult to do, the band Pearl Jam did it for the release of all 73
    of their official bootlegs this year (buy it from their site and you can
    download low quality MP3 copies of it until the CD's arrive). There is
    just something about having a genuine, tangible copy...

    > http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1956

    Funny, this is the second post I read in like 10 mins with a link to
    this site, but on entirely different newsgroups and complelely different
    articles (and I never heard of this site before in my life).

    Adios,
    ~Nick
    Nicholas Andrade, Feb 8, 2004
  7. DVDfanatico

    Justin Guest

    Nicholas Andrade wrote on [Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:34:56 GMT]:
    > I agree, in fact this is one of the reasons I am not too pleased with
    > any of these online music services. Why should I pay 9.99 for an
    > inferior copy of a CD and never actually get a physical disc with art,
    > etc. I'd consider on demand video through the for the price of buying a
    > retail DVD only if they send me the DVD in the mail (but allow me to
    > stream/download a copy - even if its inferior quality - until then).
    > Same goes for CD's, I'd gladly pay 12.99 or more on iTunes or Napster
    > 2.0 if I was actually mailed the CD after purchase. I know this isn't

    Of course, where's the profit in that though? When they already charge
    you that same price or more and don't supply the downloadable content?

    > too difficult to do, the band Pearl Jam did it for the release of all 73
    > of their official bootlegs this year (buy it from their site and you can
    > download low quality MP3 copies of it until the CD's arrive). There is
    > just something about having a genuine, tangible copy...

    Yes, band can do this on an individual basis, but with the sheer number
    of DVDs and CDs released each year, the cost would be prohibitive.
    Justin, Feb 8, 2004
  8. DVDfanatico

    Justin Guest

    Monte Castleman wrote on [Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:30:57 -0600]:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >>Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and it

    > seems
    >>like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply download a film

    > than
    >>buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX? I'd much rather own my

    > films.
    >>

    > I think the concept of owning physical media will go away, but not anytime
    > soon, and not via your computer. Rational:
    >
    > 1. NONCONVERGANCE: Despite the fact that televisions are getting more like
    >
    > 2. THE INTERNET PIPE: Many, many people still use dialup connections
    >
    > 3. CONVENIENCE: The reason I have so many DVDs and laserdiscs. It's not
    >
    > 4. SELECTION: A number of movies and TV shows have never made it onto DVD. I

    5. Permanence. How many times have you accidentally deleted a file you
    didn't mean to. Had a hard drive go bad? etc. etc.
    Justin, Feb 8, 2004
  9. DVDfanatico

    Murder Guest

    Nicholas Andrade <> wrote in

    > Murder wrote:
    >
    >> (DVDfanatico) wrote in
    >>

    >>>Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and
    >>>it seems like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply
    >>>download a film than buy the DVD. Will the Net be like another DIVX?
    >>>I'd much rather own my films.
    >>>
    >>>-DVDfanatico

    >> Well, besides the points in the other responses, there is the
    >> packaging. I could probably make my own pretty cool packaging,
    >> because I'm an artist, but not for ALL my titles. That would take
    >> too much time, and not be particularly worthwhile. I want the cool
    >> packaging. If I'll be paying a comparable ammount to download, I
    >> might as well have a handsome container. It's like collecting a
    >> library of books without covers for the same price you would pay for
    >> a library of books *with* covers. Unless you are talking about
    >> flat-out piracy.
    >>

    > I agree, in fact this is one of the reasons I am not too pleased with
    > any of these online music services. Why should I pay 9.99 for an
    > inferior copy of a CD and never actually get a physical disc with art,
    > etc. I'd consider on demand video through the for the price of buying
    > a retail DVD only if they send me the DVD in the mail (but allow me to
    > stream/download a copy - even if its inferior quality - until then).
    > Same goes for CD's, I'd gladly pay 12.99 or more on iTunes or Napster
    > 2.0 if I was actually mailed the CD after purchase. I know this isn't
    > too difficult to do, the band Pearl Jam did it for the release of all
    > 73 of their official bootlegs this year (buy it from their site and
    > you can download low quality MP3 copies of it until the CD's arrive).
    > There is just something about having a genuine, tangible copy...
    >>
    >> http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1956

    > Funny, this is the second post I read in like 10 mins with a link to
    > this site, but on entirely different newsgroups and complelely
    > different articles (and I never heard of this site before in my life).

    Yeah, I actually intended to paste a link to my own site, like I usually
    do, but I had that link loaded in my clipboard handler. I noticed it a
    1/2 second after I hit the send button.

    Murder, Feb 8, 2004
  10. DVDfanatico

    Trevor S Guest

    Murder <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Well, besides the points in the other responses, there is the
    > packaging.

    I am currently in the process of designing a HTPC to connect to my
    projector , running a video jukebox, so I can rip all my DVDs to HDD and
    store the physical DVDs and cases in boxes at the bottom of the cupboard
    out of the way.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Feb 8, 2004
  11. On 08 Feb 2004 11:41:05 GMT, (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >Will the Internet ruin DVD's?

    No.
    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 9, 2004
  12. DVDfanatico

    Murder Guest

    Trevor S <> wrote in news:Xns948A626109348billgatescom@
    130.133.1.17:

    > Murder <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Well, besides the points in the other responses, there is the
    >> packaging.

    > I am currently in the process of designing a HTPC to connect to my
    > projector , running a video jukebox, so I can rip all my DVDs to HDD and
    > store the physical DVDs and cases in boxes at the bottom of the cupboard
    > out of the way.

    Sounds like a good system, but a little $$ for my blood.

    Murder, Feb 9, 2004
  13. DVDfanatico

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    Even if you can download movies,,what about special features (commentary,
    deleted scenes, etc)?
    Metlhd3138, Feb 9, 2004
  14. DVDfanatico

    luminos Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Justin wrote:
    > >
    > >>I think the concept of owning physical media will go away, but not

    anytime
    > >>soon, and not via your computer. Rational:
    > >>
    > >>1. NONCONVERGANCE: Despite the fact that televisions are getting more

    like

    > >>2. THE INTERNET PIPE: Many, many people still use dialup connections
    > >>
    > >>3. CONVENIENCE: The reason I have so many DVDs and laserdiscs. It's not
    > >>
    > >>4. SELECTION: A number of movies and TV shows have never made it onto

    DVD. I

    > > 5. Permanence. How many times have you accidentally deleted a file you
    > > didn't mean to. Had a hard drive go bad? etc. etc.

    > 6. THE NETFLIX FACTOR: Face it--Whatver soft-rental strategy you've
    > just thought up, and thought was really technologically neat-o without
    > actually trying it, they'd already cult-deprogrammed a permanent
    > customer away from you for at least a year now.
    > As of now, they *are* the Blockbuster of soft-rental, crushing all
    > before their path..."Netflix" is now a verb, and downloading, friends,
    > has been Netflixed for years.

    Unless you have a completely corrupt Post Office, as I do. Netflix is
    dependent on delivery and 50% of my DVDs were stolen both coming and going.
    luminos, Feb 9, 2004
  15. Justin wrote:

    >>I think the concept of owning physical media will go away, but not anytime
    >>soon, and not via your computer. Rational:
    >>
    >>1. NONCONVERGANCE: Despite the fact that televisions are getting more like
    >>
    >>2. THE INTERNET PIPE: Many, many people still use dialup connections
    >>
    >>3. CONVENIENCE: The reason I have so many DVDs and laserdiscs. It's not
    >>
    >>4. SELECTION: A number of movies and TV shows have never made it onto DVD. I

    > 5. Permanence. How many times have you accidentally deleted a file you
    > didn't mean to. Had a hard drive go bad? etc. etc.

    6. THE NETFLIX FACTOR: Face it--Whatver soft-rental strategy you've
    just thought up, and thought was really technologically neat-o without
    actually trying it, they'd already cult-deprogrammed a permanent
    customer away from you for at least a year now.
    As of now, they *are* the Blockbuster of soft-rental, crushing all
    before their path..."Netflix" is now a verb, and downloading, friends,
    has been Netflixed for years.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 9, 2004
  16. DVDfanatico

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On 08 Feb 2004 12:47:28 GMT, (BubbCoop) wrote:

    ><<Will the Internet ruin DVD's? You can download movies on AOL now and it
    >seems
    >like in the near future it would be easier to just cheaply download a film than
    >buy the DVD. >>
    >
    >why would I want to watch a movie on my computer?

    Because my computer is hooked up to my TV :)
    Nomen Nescio, Feb 9, 2004
  17. DVDfanatico

    Ryan E. Guest

    On 09 Feb 2004 02:50:58 GMT, (Metlhd3138) wrote:

    >Even if you can download movies,,what about special features (commentary,
    >deleted scenes, etc)?

    Extras on mpeg2 feeds will likely be optional on select titles that'll
    cost more and take longer to download.
    Ryan E., Feb 9, 2004