Will the CEIP thing in various microsoft programs slow me down?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zvnteq7, Dec 27, 2008.

  1. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    zvnteq7, Dec 27, 2008

  2. zvnteq7

    VanguardLH Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:

    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/ceip/EN-US/default.mspx
    >
    > Will opting in the CEIP in Windows Messenger, Office, etc... slow things
    > down by eating up significant amounts of the CPU or is it just a little
    > bit of data sent back every once in a while?
    >
    > Thanks :)

    "If I choose to participate, can I opt out later?
    Yes. Most programs make CEIP options available from the Help menu,
    although for some products, you might need to check settings or options
    menus. You can choose to start or stop participating at any time."

    Since Microsoft doesn't stipulate the algorithms they use regarding
    collection of data, how much, and how they proliferate that data (like
    all at once or a few bytes at a time over some number of minutes),
    you're not going to know. I don't recall seeing a lot of network
    activity created for it but then that would only be when using someone
    else's host for which I am not accustomed to its behavior. I turn such
    info-gathering features off in any product that presents the option to
    turn it off. They're not paying me to help improve their product, and I
    have better things to do than volunteer my host to help them. I might
    enable such a feature in freeware, not in payware.

    VanguardLH, Dec 27, 2008