Will the Antec TPQ-1000 PSU work with high end GPUs?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Trey Rozsa, Jan 9, 2009.

  1. Trey Rozsa

    Trey Rozsa Guest

    Hey guys,

    I recently got an Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W PSU.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012

    It was on sale for $120 and I knew it to be a tier 1 PSU. I am
    planning to build an i7 to play at 1920x1200 in a month or so.
    However, I have now been looking further into how it does when paired
    with a higher end GPU. I have been hearing that some people are
    experiencing problems with GPUs like the 4870x2 on this PSU. The 12V
    rails on the PSU only have 18A each. I have read that this is
    considered quite bad for the higher cards. One person said that you
    may be able to get it working by using one 6pin plug from one rail,
    and an 8pin plug from a different rail:

    3rd post in this thread:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=106219&enterthread=y
    That wouldn't add up to more than 36A, though, right? Am I missing
    something here?
    I had read that a 50A on the 12V rail is recommended for the 4870x2.
    Can't remember exactly where it was, but I am a bit worried now.
    However, some people are saying their 4870x2 is working with the PSU.
    What high end GPUs would work on this PSU? The only one I can see
    that I think might make it is the gtx 260, which says it needs a
    minimum of 36A.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    Trey Rozsa, Jan 9, 2009

  2. Trey Rozsa

    Rob Guest

    Trey Rozsa wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I recently got an Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W PSU.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012
    >
    > It was on sale for $120 and I knew it to be a tier 1 PSU. I am
    > planning to build an i7 to play at 1920x1200 in a month or so.
    > However, I have now been looking further into how it does when paired
    > with a higher end GPU. I have been hearing that some people are
    > experiencing problems with GPUs like the 4870x2 on this PSU. The 12V
    > rails on the PSU only have 18A each. I have read that this is
    > considered quite bad for the higher cards. One person said that you
    > may be able to get it working by using one 6pin plug from one rail,
    > and an 8pin plug from a different rail:
    >
    > 3rd post in this thread:
    > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=106219&enterthread=y
    > That wouldn't add up to more than 36A, though, right? Am I missing
    > something here?
    > I had read that a 50A on the 12V rail is recommended for the 4870x2.
    > Can't remember exactly where it was, but I am a bit worried now.
    > However, some people are saying their 4870x2 is working with the PSU.
    > What high end GPUs would work on this PSU? The only one I can see
    > that I think might make it is the gtx 260, which says it needs a
    > minimum of 36A.
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    The TP Quattro 1000 has four +12V rails, each rated at 18A.

    Under heavy gaming the card may draw 200-240W, which is 20A off the +12V
    rail.

    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=465&type=expert&pid=5

    PCPER tested the Quattro 1000 for cross-loading and it passed easily as
    you would expect from an Enhance built unit.

    Your PSU has plenty of power for a single 4870x2 and an i7 processor.

    Rob, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Trey Rozsa

    Paul Guest

    Trey Rozsa wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I recently got an Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W PSU.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012
    >
    > It was on sale for $120 and I knew it to be a tier 1 PSU. I am
    > planning to build an i7 to play at 1920x1200 in a month or so.
    > However, I have now been looking further into how it does when paired
    > with a higher end GPU. I have been hearing that some people are
    > experiencing problems with GPUs like the 4870x2 on this PSU. The 12V
    > rails on the PSU only have 18A each. I have read that this is
    > considered quite bad for the higher cards. One person said that you
    > may be able to get it working by using one 6pin plug from one rail,
    > and an 8pin plug from a different rail:
    >
    > 3rd post in this thread:
    > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=106219&enterthread=y
    > That wouldn't add up to more than 36A, though, right? Am I missing
    > something here?
    > I had read that a 50A on the 12V rail is recommended for the 4870x2.
    > Can't remember exactly where it was, but I am a bit worried now.
    > However, some people are saying their 4870x2 is working with the PSU.
    > What high end GPUs would work on this PSU? The only one I can see
    > that I think might make it is the gtx 260, which says it needs a
    > minimum of 36A.
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    There is a review here. The claim is, the TPQ-1000 is a single output supply,
    with OCP on each output. Making the quad rails virtual, rather
    than physical. It suggests to me, you could likely mix PCI Express
    connectors from different outputs without a problem. (The ripple
    noted on the second page, is in units of millivolts not milliseconds.)
    The characteristic at 1.5KHz they noted on the 3.3V, is weird.
    That could be within the frequency response range of the control loop.

    http://xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/10-1kw-psu-roundup.html

    Ripple requirements for ATX supplies can be seen on page 23 here.

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    The HD 4870x2 power is here. 263.9W.

    http://xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd4870-crossfire_6.html#sect0

    Breakdown per connector here. 47W from slot (i.e. 4A flows via main 24 pin connector).
    2x3 PCI Express is 64.6W or 5.38A. 2x4 PCI Express is 148W or 12.3A.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/his-hd4870x2/his_power_full.png

    Looking at some other info, the PCI Express 2x4 cables come straight from
    the power supply, without involving modular cables. The Antec manual
    makes no comment about rail wiring, and I cannot find a review on
    Jonnyguru for this exact supply.

    Jonnyguru reviews the TPQ-850 here, but I don't know if this uses the
    same core design as the TPQ-1000 or not. OCP cuts in at 22A, a little
    higher than the 18A rating.

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=58

    "TPQ-850 wiring plan.

    +12V1 Y/Blk 4-pin ATX12V and 8-pin EPS12V
    +12V2 Yellow All Peripherals
    +12V3 Y/Blue Main 20+4-pin, 1st modular PCI-e, one of the fixed PCI-e connectors
    +12V4 Y/Green 2nd modular PCI-e, one of the fixed PCI-e connectors"

    Are you proposing using two HD 4870X2 or just one ? The HD 4870X2 draws
    21.7A total of 12V current. So it isn't 50 amps.

    The 920 and 940 i7 are 130W TDP, which is 12V @ 12A. Plus 21.7A video,
    say 3 amps for a minimum of other stuff, is 36.7A so far.

    If you took a single 4870X2, used the 12V4 "fixed PCI-e connector" with
    yellow-green wires for the 2x4, that would be 12.3A on 12V4. Then, the
    12V3 rail could be used for the 4A on the main 24 pin connector, plus
    you could use the "1st modular PCI-e" connector for the 2x3 5.38A load.
    Which would be a total of 9.38A on 12V3. That looks far enough away
    from the 18A (22A) limit, you'd think.

    The supply damaged some gear here. I'd take a pass on it.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012

    It actually takes a lot of review reading (like Jonnyguru or Xbitlabs),
    analysis, checking of reviews on Newegg and the like, to select a high
    end supply. Take your time and do it right. Don't just buy the first
    cheap supply you see. If the supply features "quad rails",
    you *must* find a wiring diagram, because there have been
    some pretty stupid load assignments to rails, over the years.

    Also, since supplies are contract manufactured, the quality of
    the supply can change abruptly if the "guts" come from a
    different source. Antec contracts their supplies. I expect
    PCPowerandCooling does as well. There are a few manufacturers
    who make their own supplies (and you'd hope they'd change
    the model number if revamping the guts). This is why the
    reviews on Newegg are valuable, because they can catch
    once-reputable supplies, going into a slide...

    To summarize - can you use this supply for your new i7 + single 4870X2 ?

    1) Yes. You can juggle connectors, if the supply is shutting
    off due to overcurrent protection. The total 70A rating
    should be sufficient for a 36.7 amps load.

    2) Whether it is worthwhile using the supply, depends on how many
    reports there are of damaged systems when the supply fails.
    Some brands of supplies are known to shut down nicely when
    there is trouble. If a product appears to be damaging equipment,
    you'd have to ask why it is happening, when it has such an
    extensive feature set. The level of DOA reports is one issue,
    but damaging the computer it is connected to, is a whole other
    issue.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 9, 2009
  4. Trey Rozsa

    Trey Rozsa Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:33:40 -0500, Paul <> wrote:

    >1) Yes. You can juggle connectors, if the supply is shutting
    > off due to overcurrent protection. The total 70A rating
    > should be sufficient for a 36.7 amps load.
    >
    >2) Whether it is worthwhile using the supply, depends on how many
    > reports there are of damaged systems when the supply fails.
    > Some brands of supplies are known to shut down nicely when
    > there is trouble. If a product appears to be damaging equipment,
    > you'd have to ask why it is happening, when it has such an
    > extensive feature set. The level of DOA reports is one issue,
    > but damaging the computer it is connected to, is a whole other
    > issue.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul

    Thanks so much for the help. I feel a lot better about my PSU choice
    now. I am going to go with a gtx 285 when it releases on the 15th,
    for the reduced heat and slight improvements in performance. Now that
    I have more confidence in its reliability, I can go this route without
    fear. If I end up wanting to add a 2nd 285 later, I may just change
    the PSU for another, but I don't think that will happen for a few
    years.

    Thanks again for the detailed help. I really appreciate it!

    Andrew

    Trey Rozsa, Jan 9, 2009