will phones work during blackout

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Rick Merrill, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rick Merrill, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
    All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
    would not be operational during a disaster.

    --
    EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    Telecom System Design and Call Flow Modeling Tool
    EventHelix.com, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Or I suppose any service utilizing satellite connectivity. ie. Internet via
    satellite and then VoIP lines. I have been pondering this since Katrina ...

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "EventHelix.com" <> wrote in message
    > Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service
    > during disasters. All other technologies have
    > considerable local infrastructure that would not be
    > operational during a disaster.

    Provided you have access to a supply of batteries.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Rick Merrill

    Onion Knight Guest

    "EventHelix.com" <> wrote:

    > Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
    > All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
    > would not be operational during a disaster.

    Two words:

    Smoke signals.

    --
    OK
    Onion Knight, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Rick Merrill

    -mhd Guest

    "Onion Knight" <dioneo(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"EventHelix.com" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
    >> All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
    >> would not be operational during a disaster.
    >>

    > Two words:
    >
    >Smoke signals.

    No good in a hurricane :)
    -mhd