    hope this info is handy

    Eric

    , Oct 27, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > presently using win98,
    > 130,488 KB physical memory
    > sustem resources at 47% free
    >
    > the computer is :
    > Authentic AMD
    > AMD-K6 3D Processor
    > 128.0 MB ram
    > 32 bit
    >
    > Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
    > spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
    > that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet
    >
    > hope this info is handy
    >
    > Eric

    Sure. Always upgrade. Spend money. Encourage the economy. <grin>

    That system isn't exactly a speed demon. It can't be over 500MHz (based on
    the CPU model). You didn't say how much hard drive space is available for
    use. It will never be "fast" regardless, even if you do free up some more
    system resources.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > presently using win98,
    > 130,488 KB physical memory
    > sustem resources at 47% free
    >
    > the computer is :
    > Authentic AMD
    > AMD-K6 3D Processor
    > 128.0 MB ram
    > 32 bit
    >
    > Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
    > spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
    > that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

    It isn't about the method of connecting.
    It's about the content of the pages.

    You should find that e-mail services and newsgroups (things that use
    text, and not images) are just fine.
    Any smart Web site should work fine -- they should have small graphics
    files that don't require a lot of processing.
    Larger graphics, scripts, and animations are going to require more --
    consider turning off Flash, Java and javascript, for instance.
    You certainly should have ActiveX turned off.

    If that seems to make a difference, look at what else you can
    streamline. When I used dialup services, I found I could browse very
    practically with 'load images' turned off in the browser-- it's usually
    an easy click to load them when you want them.
    I don't know just how much work the image processing is for each page,
    but it's an easy thing to try.

    Mitch, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Pat Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:12:46 GMT, wrote:

    >presently using win98,
    >130,488 KB physical memory
    >sustem resources at 47% free
    >
    >the computer is :
    >Authentic AMD
    >AMD-K6 3D Processor
    >128.0 MB ram
    >32 bit
    >
    >Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
    >spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
    >that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet
    >
    >hope this info is handy
    >
    >Eric

    My second computer is a P4 400mhz (W98FE). It's on DSL and browses the
    internet just fine. Pages load very quick. Even an old 386sx computer
    running Win 3.1 should keep up with DSL just fine. You need to optimize
    the system for DSL. Go here http://www.speedguide.net/ and try some of
    the tweaks they provide.

    With 128meg the swapfile is likely getting a lot of use. Upgrading to
    256 or more will help. Make sure there is plenty of room on the drive
    for caching web pages and that the cache size is adequate. Defrag the
    drive regularly.

    --
    Pat

    Pat, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
    > spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
    > that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

    The Internet isn't going any slower, it's just the older machine takes
    longer to render/process whatever is being downloaded. I'd upgrade anyway.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:12:46 GMT If you fall from a tree,leave your
    anger on the branch and then sent this :

    >presently using win98,
    >130,488 KB physical memory
    >sustem resources at 47% free
    >
    >the computer is :
    >Authentic AMD
    >AMD-K6 3D Processor
    >128.0 MB ram
    >32 bit
    >
    >Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
    >spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
    >that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet
    >
    >hope this info is handy
    >
    >Eric

    You can speed up surfing a lot using another browser."Firefox" is way
    faster and more secure than IE IMHO,

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Oct 27, 2005
  7. wrote:

    > presently using win98,
    > 130,488 KB physical memory
    > sustem resources at 47% free
    >
    > the computer is :
    > Authentic AMD
    > AMD-K6 3D Processor
    > 128.0 MB ram
    > 32 bit
    >
    > Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
    > spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
    > that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

    Having used such a beast :) for a while (500 MHz) and now my s.o. (she
    also complains about the sluggish thing, with a billion ebay pics in
    her internet cache) I know. Well, it works with XPee (duuh!) here since
    my s.o. could not be convinced to switch to linux yet - maybe because
    she's in a safe haven behind my routing firewalling virusfiltering
    proxying linux box. Clean the internet cache, history, make sure you
    have enough free space on your HD and grab all the SDRAM you can get.
    Occasionally defrag, and consider a detoriating harddrive may also be
    the cause of noticeable slowdown, even before it breaks completely.
    If you don't want to retire the box, give it a 2nd life as a linux
    router/firewall/proxy server that can run without a gui.

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Oct 27, 2005
  8. Dan Evans Guest

    Re: anal sex....good idea or not? (I’m a girl btw)

    Dan Evans, <>, whose name means "quiet;
    stupid idiot who wishes he were cool", quibbled:

    Dan Evans, Oct 28, 2005