    should with no restarting. When I reinstall the card the problem returns.

    I have check for power management settings and cannot find anything specific
    to change. Any ideas???
    lk, Jan 12, 2009

  2. lk

    David B. Guest

    Contact Airlink tech support, the problem is obviously with their hardware
    or drivers.

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    David B., Jan 12, 2009

  3. lk

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 12, 6:11 pm, "lk" <> wrote:
    > I put a new AirLink101 WLAN PCI card in a HP Compaq D530 tower and it works
    > fine.
    >
    > Problem is during typical Windows shutdown, the computer goes thru all the
    > normal shutdown activity and then reboots as if I had selected a restart.
    > Holding in the power button will shut it down but that does not
    > appropriately close files you know...
    >
    > I pulled the card out of the PCI slot and a shutdown works normal as it
    > should with no restarting.  When I reinstall the card the problem returns.
    >
    > I have check for power management settings and cannot find anything specific
    > to change.  Any ideas???

    Which version of the drivers? Did you check for a newer version from
    the card's manufacturer's web site? Several other manufacturers do
    provide updated drivers, off their tech support web site.
    smlunatick, Jan 12, 2009
  4. lk

    lk Guest

    It is an AirLink101 AWLH6090 (has 3 remote mounted antennas). I checked the
    AirLink101 website and could not find any driver updates for this model. I
    emailed their tech support explaining the shutdown problem and also asking
    for driver updates as other models have updates posted. No answer yet (its
    been 5 days).

    lk, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Hi
    Try another PCI slot it might be an IRQ conflict that confuses the drivers.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2009
  6. lk

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 13, 5:58 pm, "lk" <> wrote:
    > Jack at your suggestion I moved the card to each of the 3 PCI slots in the
    > PC and still have the same issue.  If there was an IRQ conflict, wouldnt
    > there be some error message coming up?

    > > Hi
    > > Try another PCI slot it might be an IRQ conflict that confuses the
    > > drivers.
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > > "lk" <> wrote in message
    > >>I put a new AirLink101 WLAN PCI card in a HP Compaq D530 tower and it
    > >>works fine.

    > >> Problem is during typical Windows shutdown, the computer goes thru all
    > >> the normal shutdown activity and then reboots as if I had selected a
    > >> restart. Holding in the power button will shut it down but that does not
    > >> appropriately close files you know...

    > >> I pulled the card out of the PCI slot and a shutdown works normal as it
    > >> should with no restarting.  When I reinstall the card the problem
    > >> returns.

    > >> I have check for power management settings and cannot find anything
    > >> specific to change.  Any ideas???

    No. XP allows sharing the IRQs and sometimes it share an IRQ that is
    an important one (such as IRQs for the hard drive.)
    smlunatick, Jan 13, 2009
  7. I have gotten around some odd behavor that was actually caused by the
    Utilities installed along with the driver by getting rid of the Utility. In
    my case it was impossible to install the drivers without also installing the
    Utility,...so...

    After installation I uninstalled the Utility from Add/Remove Programs. The
    actual drivers are quite often left behind after that. So I removed the
    adapter and booted up once,....shutdown,...reinstalled the adapter and
    started back up. The Plug-n-play detected the adapter and installed the
    drivers that were left behind without having to install the utility. Just
    don't give it the OEM CD, do not tell it to search the Internet for drivers
    and just tell it to "automatically" install the drivers which causes it to
    only look at the drivers it already has locally.

    I don't know if that will work for you or not, but it worked great for one
    of the Linksys "USB" Nics that I use at home. This also cleanly allows the
    Windows Zero Configuration Utility to control the nic because their is no
    utility to compete with.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 13, 2009
  8. Hi
    It depends how hard you want to work.
    Try to find out the name of the manufacturer of the card chipset, and log to
    its site and download the OEM drivers.
    Or the easy way out, splurged for this (inexpensive and works very well).
    Edimax - PCI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
    http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2009
  9. lk

    lk Guest

    Update-

    I installed the adapter into another computer... Did not have the "Will not
    shutdown" issue. Windows detected and loaded driver on this PC. I suspect it
    is not a 'bad card' hardware problem. Moved adapter back to intended PC.

    Checked for IRQ Conflicts on card's hardware properties - None

    Checked for IRQ Sharing of the PCI Slots -
    PCI Slot 1 IRQ 16 is shared with 2 other devices
    PCI Slot 2 IRQ 18 is shared with 2 other devices
    PCI Slot 3 IRQ 21 Not Shared.

    Adapter left installed in PCI Slot 3.

    Checked for Chipset Driver Update on Ralink.
    Chipset = RT2680
    Update available 1.2.1.0 (11/11/2008) Previous on AirLink CD was
    1.01.00.0000
    Loaded updated driver - Will not Shutdown problem still exists.
    Uninstalled AirLink 101 Monitor and installed Ralink RaUI monitor software -

    lk, Jan 16, 2009
  10. lk

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 16, 5:25 pm, "lk" <> wrote:
    > Update-
    >
    > I installed the adapter into another computer... Did not have the "Will not
    > shutdown" issue. Windows detected and loaded driver on this PC. I suspect it
    > is not a 'bad card' hardware problem.  Moved adapter back to intended PC.
    >
    > Checked for IRQ Conflicts on card's hardware properties - None
    >
    > Checked for IRQ Sharing of the PCI Slots -
    > PCI Slot 1 IRQ 16 is shared with 2 other devices
    > PCI Slot 2 IRQ 18 is shared with 2 other devices
    > PCI Slot 3 IRQ 21 Not Shared.
    >
    > Adapter left installed in PCI Slot 3.
    >
    > Checked for Chipset Driver Update on Ralink.
    > Chipset = RT2680
    > Update available 1.2.1.0 (11/11/2008)  Previous on AirLink CD was
    > 1.01.00.0000
    > Loaded updated driver - Will not Shutdown problem still exists.
    > Uninstalled AirLink 101 Monitor and installed Ralink RaUI monitor software -
    > Will not Shutdown problem still exists.

    > > Hi
    > > It depends how hard you want to work.
    > > Try to find out the name of the manufacturer of the card chipset, and log
    > > to its site and download the OEM drivers.
    > > Or the easy way out, splurged for this (inexpensive and works very well).
    > > Edimax  - PCI
    > >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    > > Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
    > >http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > > "lk" <> wrote in message
    > >> Jack at your suggestion I moved the card to each of the 3 PCI slots in
    > >> the PC and still have the same issue.  If there was an IRQ conflict,
    > >> wouldnt there be some error message coming up?

    > >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message

    It seems that the wireless card might not be compatible with the
    motherboard / chipset set in the PC that is having the shutdown
    problems. Check for any possible BIOS update (this might offer a
    "fix" for IRQ problems???) and update/install the motherboard chipset
    drivers.
    smlunatick, Jan 16, 2009
  11. "lk" <> wrote in message

    > Will not Shutdown problem still exists.

    Did you see my post?

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 16, 2009
  12. lk

    Pavel A. Guest

    lk wrote:
    > Does anyone know if a wireless LAN card has Wake-Up functionalities and can
    > it be turned off?

    Usually they don't.
    Perhaps the device is faulty (your's one, or the series...) in that
    it raises the PCI PME signal when it should not.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Jan 17, 2009
  13. lk

    lk Guest

    SOLVED !!!!

    I Disabled the BIOS setting "S5 WAKE ON LAN" and my PC Shuts Down normally
    now. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions to my dilemma.

    lk, Jan 22, 2009