Will new versions of VS and SQL invalidate MCAD?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Cinderella, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Cinderella

    Cinderella Guest

    Hi,

    I've recently passed the 70 - 315 and 70 - 316 exams and and am taking 70 -
    320 this month. I had then planned to do the 70 - 300 and 70-229 exams to get
    MCSD.

    If I pass the SQL 2000 exam this year won't I just have to sit a SQL 2005
    exam next year?

    Does anyone know if the new VS will require new exams making 315, 316, 320
    invalid?

    Finally, does anyone know, if once you become MCSD, but a new and updated
    MCSD certifcation came out (like when .NET arrived) would you have to start
    from scratch with all 5 exams?

    Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm trying to decide whether to stay with
    my current employer or take a look at the market!

    Many Thanks
    Cinderella, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Cinderella

    Fernando Guest

    Probablily some new exams will be realeased, but this do not make your
    certification invalid. Example: people who have the old mcsd track
    certification (c++), do not lose their certs on the release of vs.net.

    I have done the same exams that you done (but with the vb track - 70-305 and
    306), and i taking 70-310 this month too. My plan is to do the 70-300 and
    70-229 for MCSD, and then 70-228 and 70-290 for MCDBA.

    Fernando

    Fernando, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Cinderella

    Raja Guest

    What I heard from the MS guys on a recent webcast is this : For VS 2005, MS
    would be offering an upgrade path to the existing MCAD.net & MCSD.net's. This
    means that if you're already certified on .net, you could take fewer exams to
    maintain your certification on the new .Net 2.0 platform.

    Of course, your existing certification NEVER expires - Once certified on
    ..Net 1.X, you're ALWAYS certified on it ! And, remember all this is
    unofficial info and very much subject to change !

    Hope that helps !

    Raja, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Cinderella

    EggHead Guest

    Do you know is it still only 5 exam in the .net 2.0 path or M$ is thinking
    add more exams in to the path?
    It is b'cos M$ add 2 more exams on the MCSE 2K3 (totally 9 exams now), and
    there are 2 exams in the upgrade path for MCSE 2K which is 7 exams cert to
    MCSE 2K3.
    Egghead

    EggHead, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Cinderella

    Raja Guest

    Sorry, have no idea about it !

    That's a very relevant question. Makes me wonder what other new exams MS
    could introduce on .Net 2.0 ... I mean the new features added cannot warrant
    a whole new exam by themselves. But, again I could be absolutely wrong !

    Raja, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Cinderella

    Egghead Guest

    I think beside the new features, M$ will add some old features as elective
    exam such as mobile or smart client.
    If there is indeed an upgrade path (I think you are right), M$ will need to
    add 1 or 2 exams more to the .net 2.0 core exams (I am thinking may be more
    enterprise applications related exam). It is b'cos .net 1.1 exams are not
    that long ago.
    Egghead

    Egghead, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Cinderella

    Raja Guest

    Ahh ... Mobile Client could warrant a new exam since there are some finer
    nuances in .Net Compact framework that one needs to understand to program on
    that platform.

    As for enterprise apps, I think the XML WS exams (310 & 320) cover those -
    XML WS, Remoting, Windows Services & Component services. Of course, there is
    "Team Server" in VS 2005, but I would think that's more of an architect
    product than developer one.

    Any way, life is going to be busy getting certified and keeping it updated !
    :)

    Raja, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Cinderella

    Cinderella Guest

    Thanks, thats kind of reassuring.

    Cinderella, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Cinderella

    Cinderella Guest

    Sounds like your on an identical track to me.

    Good luck!

    Cinderella, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Cinderella

    EggHead Guest

    Oh, just only need 2 more exams for MCDBA, I can kiss exam 70-301 good bye
    :)

    Thanks
    Egghead

    EggHead, Jun 3, 2005
  11. Cinderella

    Binoj Antony Guest

    Well "Cindrella" at stroke of midnight the magic (read MCSD) will disappear
    and you will be de-certified
    Binoj Antony, Jun 8, 2005