    Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS

    Thanks

    Ged

    Ged, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Ged

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Yes, with either one ...

    Bill Hilton, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Ged

    DigiFilm Guest

    I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy a
    550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes fired
    at full power on the dslr's

    --
    www.Digifilm.info

    DigiFilm, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Ged

    Skip M Guest

    "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy

    > 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

    fired
    > at full power on the dslr's
    >
    > --
    > www.Digifilm.info
    > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, with either one ...
    > >
    > > >From: (Ged)

    > > >As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to

    > buy.
    > > >I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.
    > > >
    > > >Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS

    Why won't it? My 420EX works on our 10D...after all, the 380EX 420EX and
    550EX are all made by Canon, which your Sunpak and Vivitar were not.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Ged

    dslr Guest

    In article <jsVSc.249732$IQ4.227541@attbi_s02>, "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote:
    >I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy a
    >550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes fired
    >at full power on the dslr's

    Yes it will, it's a full E-TTL flash.

    --
    KRs
    dslr

    dslr, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Ged

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > "DigiFilm" wrote:

    >I don't think it (380EX) will utilize the full ettl function though.

    The EX series (380, 420, 550) all have full E-TTL support (though the 420 and
    550 have other extra features like wireless slaves or bracketing, etc).

    Maybe you are confusing the 380 with the earlier EZ series flashes, which don't
    fully support E-TTL?

    Bill Hilton, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Ged

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ged wrote:

    > As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to buy.
    > I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.
    >
    > Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ged

    It will work just fine.. Everything about the flash will function
    as it should, including the AF assist light.

    I use one on my 10D.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 13, 2004
  8. Ged

    Mark B. Guest

    "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy

    > 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

    fired
    > at full power on the dslr's

    ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR. Sunpak &
    Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 14, 2004
  9. Ged

    Skip M Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to

    buy
    > > 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

    > fired
    > > at full power on the dslr's
    > >

    > ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR. Sunpak &
    > Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.
    >
    > Mark

    Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just fine.
    May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.

    Skip M, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Ged

    Ged Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message news:<EnpTc.37443$ih.16059@fed1read07>...
    > "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > > "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to

    > buy
    > > > 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

    > fired
    > > > at full power on the dslr's
    > > >

    > > ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR. Sunpak &
    > > Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just fine.
    > May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.

    Thanks again for your continued help! Canon DSLR it is.

    Ged

    Ged, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Ged

    Mark B. Guest

    &
    > > Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just fine.
    > May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.

    It's not clear from their website whether or not it's E-TTL compatible. My
    guess is that he's using it with the flash's own built-in auto mode. There
    might be a Canon E-TTL module for it, but Sunpak doesn't make it easy to
    find out.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 15, 2004
  12. Ged

    Bruce Watson Guest

    Yes, it will work with full ETTL on the Rebel and other current Canon
    digital cameras. I have one and use it on my G2, 10D and 300D with good
    results.

    Bruce Watson, Aug 15, 2004
  13. Ged

    Skip M Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > > > "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > buy

    flashes
    > > > fired
    > > > >

    > > > ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR.

    Sunpak
    > &
    > > > Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.
    > > >
    > > > Mark
    > > >

    > > Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just fine.
    > > May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.
    > >

    > It's not clear from their website whether or not it's E-TTL compatible.

    My
    > guess is that he's using it with the flash's own built-in auto mode.

    There
    > might be a Canon E-TTL module for it, but Sunpak doesn't make it easy to
    > find out.
    >
    > Mark

    One reason I didn't ask about E-TTL is that I'm always using a Lumiquest
    PocketBounce on my flash, and the EX series flashes default to TTL when
    moved off of the horizontal plane. So E-TTL is pretty much a moot point for
    me.

    Skip M, Aug 16, 2004
  14. Ged

    S Lee Guest

    Skip M choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to spell
    out:

    > One reason I didn't ask about E-TTL is that I'm always using a
    > Lumiquest PocketBounce on my flash, and the EX series flashes default
    > to TTL when moved off of the horizontal plane. So E-TTL is pretty
    > much a moot point for me.

    I think they fixed that:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#ettl

    --
    __ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
    (__ * _ _ _ _

    S Lee, Aug 16, 2004
  15. "Skip M" <> writes:
    >> "Skip M" <> writes:

    >>> Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just
    >>> fine. May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.

    > One reason I didn't ask about E-TTL is that I'm always using a
    > Lumiquest PocketBounce on my flash, and the EX series flashes
    > default to TTL when moved off of the horizontal plane.

    No, they don't. The reason Canon introduced E-TTL is simply because
    their old TTL system (which relied upon metering off the unexposed
    film's dull gray surface) don't work on digital cameras wich have
    shiny black sensors. TTL (which measures light while you take the
    picture) is in many respects /better/ than E-TTL (which meters of a
    pre-flash). Unfortunately, TTL doesn't work on digital cameras.

    E-TTL does work, and so does Auto.

    The Sunpak 120J doesn't have E-TTL, and if it has TTL (which I doubt).
    it won't work on digitals. It has a self-contained Auto mode, which
    works fine on a Canon 10D.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 16, 2004
  16. Ged

    Skip M Guest

    "Gisle Hannemyr" <> wrote in message

    > > One reason I didn't ask about E-TTL is that I'm always using a
    > > Lumiquest PocketBounce on my flash, and the EX series flashes
    > > default to TTL when moved off of the horizontal plane.

    > No, they don't. The reason Canon introduced E-TTL is simply because
    > their old TTL system (which relied upon metering off the unexposed
    > film's dull gray surface) don't work on digital cameras wich have
    > shiny black sensors. TTL (which measures light while you take the
    > picture) is in many respects /better/ than E-TTL (which meters of a
    > pre-flash). Unfortunately, TTL doesn't work on digital cameras.
    >
    > E-TTL does work, and so does Auto.

    <snipped>
    > --
    > - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
    > «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)

    By golly, you must be right. No mention of the loss of E-TTL in the manual
    for my 420 EX, I just figured that whoever told me that was right, since
    that's how my 540EZ behaved, losing A-TTL when the flash head was moved off
    horizontal...

    Skip M, Aug 17, 2004