    FYI: I found one situation where Moz was _tremendously_ better than IE.
    As my hd neared zero free space, Moz still worked, whereas IE mostly
    froze.

    P T, Sep 25, 2004

  2. P T wrote:
    > It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    > viruses. I also get the impression that Mozilla is somehow similar to
    > Linux.
    >
    > Does Mozilla versus IE provide an innate virus resistance?
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > FYI: I found one situation where Moz was _tremendously_ better than IE.
    > As my hd neared zero free space, Moz still worked, whereas IE mostly
    > froze.

    In fact the original "sendmail" virus was a UNIX problem. The reason
    you hear so much about IE problems is that it's on something like 60
    million machines where as Unix, Linux and derivatives are probable on 8
    million. They have their own set of frailties.

    William W. Plummer, Sep 25, 2004

  3. P T wrote:

    > It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    > viruses. I also get the impression that Mozilla is somehow similar to
    > Linux.
    >
    > Does Mozilla versus IE provide an innate virus resistance?
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > FYI: I found one situation where Moz was _tremendously_ better than IE.
    > As my hd neared zero free space, Moz still worked, whereas IE mostly
    > froze.

    You're better off using Moz than IE. You're a lot more protected than
    using IE. Most viruses use the phonebook to get their addresses from.
    And from which book do they get it from -- but Outlook, not Moz.
    However, a lot of viruses get their addresses from scanning other files,
    such as txt, htm, html, xls, doc, and many others. But, to spread a
    virus, very little.

    I have NO virus protection whatsoever. I use Moz and I feel a lot safer
    using Moz than anything else.

    I know, I know, I'm sure I will get a lot of criticism about this in one
    form or another, but I don't care.

    Andreas

    Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 25, 2004
  4. On 9/25/2004 6:38 PM, P T said:

    > Does Mozilla versus IE provide an innate virus resistance?

    Moz helps you to avoid interacting with unpleasant files and worm
    e-mails. My infection rate dropped to near-zero since switching from IE
    and Outlook.

    But if you want to practice safe hex, you'd still be wise to get a
    decent antivirus package. I use AntiVir, which has the advantage of
    being free...

    My 2 cents,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

    David Harrison, Sep 25, 2004
  5. P T

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:38:59 -0500, (P T) wrote:

    >It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    >viruses.

    No, its just that 99.9% if virii are written to attack M$ programs.

    derek / nul, Sep 25, 2004
  6. P T

    Travis Evans Guest

    On 09/25/2004 12:38 PM, P T wrote:
    > It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    > viruses. I also get the impression that Mozilla is somehow similar to
    > Linux.

    This is from what I understand:

    Generally, OSes like Linux and Unix are designed from the ground up with
    security in mind, so you're much better off. However, any program,
    including a system program running with sysadmin priveleges on a *nix
    system, can be affected by security vulnerabilities, just as Windows
    programs can be. However, if you run as many programs under a regular
    user account as possible (and disable all programs that you don't
    absolutely need that are running under admin priveleges), you are very
    unlikely to get a virus that renders your system unusable. (Though
    theoretically, a bug or virus in a program running as a regular user
    could still trash your home directory which includes your documents and
    files, so making regular backups is a very good idea.)

    > Does Mozilla versus IE provide an innate virus resistance?

    Due to its lack of support for things like ActiveX controls, Mozilla is
    supposed to be inherently more secure. However, since Mozilla doesn't
    have as much market share as IE, it's hard to say whether there are any
    significant security problems waiting to be discovered. Mozilla may very
    well help reduce the number of viruses and malware that get into your
    system through security vulnerabilities in the web browser, but it won't
    stop you from downloading and running a program that contains a virus,
    and it won't stop other programs with security holes from doing the
    same. That's why there is no substitute for a good firewall and
    anti-virus software.

    --
    Travis
    [Remove all three q's to demunge my email address.]

    Travis Evans, Sep 27, 2004
  7. P T

    Moz Champion Guest

    P T wrote:

    > It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    > viruses. I also get the impression that Mozilla is somehow similar to
    > Linux.
    >
    > Does Mozilla versus IE provide an innate virus resistance?
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > FYI: I found one situation where Moz was _tremendously_ better than IE.
    > As my hd neared zero free space, Moz still worked, whereas IE mostly
    > froze.

    Mozilla is no more virus resistant than IE would be, if IE was ONLY a
    browser program. The fact that IE is interwoven with the system is one
    of the major security issues which leads to more infections.

    Linux is an operating system and is more secure than Windows
    The Mac OS is yet another operating system, and in fact is 100% (as of
    date of writing) secure.

    Mozilla, as a program is available in versions for Linux, Windows or
    Macs, so the exact susceptibility of your computer to a virus depends on
    your operating system and the program in use.

    Viruses take an attachment to send in email/news, so if you dont open
    attachments you are quite safe from them all, regardless of your system
    and/or program. Its still 'possible' for a devious website to infect
    you, but such websites are really REALLY far between and dont last very
    long (ISPs take a VERY dim view of such)

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 28, 2004
  8. P T

    Keith Bowes Guest

    P T wrote:
    > It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    > viruses.

    I've read that some Windows viruses can be ran with WINE
    (http://www.winehq.org/).

    Keith Bowes, Oct 4, 2004
  9. P T

    Travis Evans Guest

    On 10/03/2004 08:24 PM, Keith Bowes wrote:
    > P T wrote:
    >
    >> It is my understanding that Linux OS are immune to a virtually all
    >> viruses.

    > I've read that some Windows viruses can be ran with WINE
    > (http://www.winehq.org/).

    Hey... you could probably set up a sandbox-like system with WINE on a
    Unix/Linux system and run viruses and research how they work. :)

    Travis Evans, Oct 5, 2004