    hope that microsoft has some plan to unify the driver model again. Anyone
    know?

    Curto.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=, Jul 3, 2005

  2. "Curto" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I remember in the early days of WinNT we had the same problem with drivers
    >as
    > we are experiencing now with x64 (actually I remember it being worse back
    > then). It wasn't until the driver model was unified that driver support
    > really became workable, but that was mostly due to XP 32 becoming the
    > mainstream OS.
    >
    > So the question is, does anyone know what model "Longhorn" will require
    > for
    > drivers?

    The drivers are pretty much the same. There are some changes to graphics
    card drivers to the new Longhorn Device Driver Model )LDDM). This allows
    for some of the new advances in technology being implemented in Longhorn.
    E.g. at a superficial level the Glass effect Aero interface is only
    available on LDDM cards that meet the required specification.

    > Will they be similar to x64 and maybe just require a recompile? I
    > hope that microsoft has some plan to unify the driver model again. Anyone
    > know?

    It is not about a unified model. x64 (64-bit) drivers need to be
    rewritten - we have not diverged the driver model they are the "same" but
    compliled for x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit). The LDDM is just a new type of
    graphics drivers - it does not "break" the underlying model as they are both
    built as x86 and x64.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 3, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=

    Randy Guest

    Might want to look at the MS newsgroups ending in ".winfx.___" for updated
    info on Longhorn.

    Randy, Jul 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=

    Monster Guest

    If longhorn is marketed as a consumer product then yes the driver situation
    will improve. With winnt microsoft pushed it as a server os that was
    supposed to run on "server hardware" so many manufacturers never bothered to
    write drivers for it. x64 is in a similar situation, ms isn't selling it
    directly to customers so driver availability will probably be limited for a
    while.

    Monster, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Actually no, Microsoft never pushed NT directly as a Server OS, it was
    targetted at network computing in both Server and client side. Anyway, I
    never had problems with NT when it was released it worked flawlessly on my
    Zenith GT Workstation in 96.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005